From the bar: Moscow Mule

11 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

Is this available on Carnival ships? I discovered the non-alcoholic version on my last cruise (not Carnival) and am hoping it can be replicated when we sail the Panorama.

Non alcoholic would technically just be ginger beer and lime without the vodka. Is that what you mean?

Or are you looking for a true Moscow Mule?

Edited by crzndeb
6 minutes ago, Haveuseen1 said:

I had a mule on the Elation in September and that may have been the worst drink I have ever had.  I drank it mind you, but it was terrible.  That being said every other drink I had was wonderful, so maybe it was just a fluke.

Moscow mules, much like a proper mojito, depend on quality ingredients. We like Reeds extra ginger beer,  extra fresh pressed lime juice, and premium vodka. We tend to avoid these drinks when out as they are often rushed sloppily prepared versions that don't taste the same as home. It's understandable as these types of drinks take time to prepare properly. I would think your best chance at getting a proper drink of this type would be at the Alchemy bar. If it's not good there, it probably won't be good anywhere else on the ship. 

3 hours ago, Haveuseen1 said:

I had a mule on the Elation in September and that may have been the worst drink I have ever had.  I drank it mind you, but it was terrible.  That being said every other drink I had was wonderful, so maybe it was just a fluke.

Have you drank other mules that you enjoyed?  I had a dark and stormy one cruise that was almost too bad to drink - and I enjoy both ginger beer and dark rum - so we thought they had inferior ginger beer.  I now think it was inferior rum was used since on a later cruise we did the mule tasting which was very good and had some ginger beer just plain for the motion and it was also good.

As coevan stated, ginger beer is an acquired taste too.

2 hours ago, Haveuseen1 said:

Why did I drink it?  Well I hated brussell sprouts, broccoli, beer, and a number of other things in life. But after you kind of work you way through them you find that you really enjoy them.  So I guess I thought it might get better along the way.  Dont get me wrong, it wasnt like drinking spoiled milk, it was just a really bad mule.

Oh, OK.  Thanks for the answer.  I guess it's just one of those extreme differences in the way we as individuals look at things.  I, too, hated Brussels sprouts and broccoli.  And beer.  Still do in fact.  Brussels sprouts and broccoli, however, I'll still occasionally give another chance, because they have nutritional value.  I haven't had a beer in at least 25 years.  Because I think beer tastes nasty.  And, just like any alcoholic beverage, its only value is the enjoyment it can bring the drinker.  It brings me less than no enjoyment, so I don't drink it.  The way I see it, life is too short to drink bad drinks.

13 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

Oh, OK.  Thanks for the answer.  I guess it's just one of those extreme differences in the way we as individuals look at things.  I, too, hated Brussels sprouts and broccoli.  And beer.  Still do in fact.  Brussels sprouts and broccoli, however, I'll still occasionally give another chance, because they have nutritional value.  I haven't had a beer in at least 25 years.  Because I think beer tastes nasty.  And, just like any alcoholic beverage, its only value is the enjoyment it can bring the drinker.  It brings me less than no enjoyment, so I don't drink it.  The way I see it, life is too short to drink bad drinks.

It looks like some posts went "poof" - I also appreciated the answer and have probably done that with drinks too (thinking it might get better).  I also give Brussel sprouts and broccoli a try every now and then and can almost enjoy broccoli at times 😉 

21 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I love ginger beer. I'd never even heard of the stuff before this last cruise. I'll see if the Alchemy can make me the non-alcoholic version.

Alchemy should have no problem, but honestly the others bars probably would be similar if it is just the gb and lime.  I'm spoiled by a local bottler (Otto's in State College) but find Carnival's to be pretty good too.

4 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I love ginger beer. I'd never even heard of the stuff before this last cruise. I'll see if the Alchemy can make me the non-alcoholic version.

of course, it's just Ginger Beer and lime, not really a fancy drink

5 hours ago, fyree39 said:

They should have ginger beer at most of the bars, unless you just like the atmosphere at Alchemy. I did a little research, and the non alcoholic version will usually have club soda instead of vodka, which would cut the strong flavor of the ginger beer a bit.

I would suggest asking for a sip of the ginger beer first before ordering. Ginger beers are not created equal. Some have a bit of a bite to them. I personally liked the Q Ginger beer, but it may not be for everyone.