Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
stromer

Is snorkeling good year round in Tahiti - Moorea

Recommended Posts

I will be taking a Tahiti cruise next year in one of the following months - July,  Aug, Sept or Oct and am wondering about the weather/winds/storms that might cause snorkeling issues in those months.  I have ready the posts on what the weather is like but have also seen reports from guidebooks that state the southern trade winds can cause the seas to be choppy in the Tahiti winter (close to July and Aug).  We will probably be staying at one of the hotels in Moorea in an over the water bungalow for 3 nights pre cruise and wish to snorkel and enjoy the water.  However, we do not want choppy water that would cause the water to be dirty. 

Hawaii is similar in that the water is great for snorkeling in the summer but as you get close to winter, the northern Pacific storms cause large waves which ruin the snorkeling.  Does this analogy apply to Moorea or is snorkeling great year round?  My choices for travel would be:

July and Aug. for less rain and cooler weather (not much) but the snorkeling might not be as good.

Sept - same as above

Oct - sounds like the best month but I might have other issues preventing me from doing this month and the prices seem to be higher.

Any opinions from seasoned Tahiti travelers would be appreciated,

Thanks, Rick        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I can say is that I've been for extended visits in Bora Bora and Moorea in both July and August and there were no weather related problems. It's probably the ideal 2 months to visit, driest and calmest, and wonderful snorkeling. If you happen to be staying at the Hilton Moorea it has some of the best snorkeling on the island beneath it's overwater bungalows. Not to say great weather is always the case but you stand much better odds than even October. AND you have a good chance of seeing whales on an excursion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind the foliage is far superior in the months of November - April. As I love taking photos I want the lush foliage and some texture in the sky.  Many of the flowers/fruits in FP are only available when there is rain. However, as you are looking for best snorkeling I would agree with Petoonya's recommendations. Less rain/wind means less stirring of the lagoon water thus more clear.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2019 at 11:37 PM, Petoonya said:

All I can say is that I've been for extended visits in Bora Bora and Moorea in both July and August and there were no weather related problems. It's probably the ideal 2 months to visit, driest and calmest, and wonderful snorkeling. If you happen to be staying at the Hilton Moorea it has some of the best snorkeling on the island beneath it's overwater bungalows. Not to say great weather is always the case but you stand much better odds than even October. AND you have a good chance of seeing whales on an excursion.

We will be staying on Moorea for 4 days after our cruise in March. I know the Hilton sells day passes with lunch included but I was wondering if you would be able to go there and buy a couple drinks at their bar and snorkel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, stjohnbeachlover said:

We will be staying on Moorea for 4 days after our cruise in March. I know the Hilton sells day passes with lunch included but I was wondering if you would be able to go there and buy a couple drinks at their bar and snorkel. 

Gosh, I don't know. I just asked the Kia Ora Rangiroa the same question today and they gave me quite an indignant reply no- even after I said I'd pay for a day pass. I'm sure that you can enjoy their bar and all you can do is try to enter the water and see what happens- as long as you have your own gear you might be ok. But getting gear and towels from the pool guy would probably be another story. The day pass is pretty reasonable...I think it was $85 and the lunch was spectacular with a drink included. Great snorkeling and nice pool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Gosh, I don't know. I just asked the Kia Ora Rangiroa the same question today and they gave me quite an indignant reply no- even after I said I'd pay for a day pass. I'm sure that you can enjoy their bar and all you can do is try to enter the water and see what happens- as long as you have your own gear you might be ok. But getting gear and towels from the pool guy would probably be another story. The day pass is pretty reasonable...I think it was $85 and the lunch was spectacular with a drink included. Great snorkeling and nice pool.

Thanks for the information. I know at other cruise stops we have been able to use the beach at hotels if we purchase drinks but the loungers are typically only for the overnight guests. I may look into the day passes. Are they typically busier on cruise port days or should I just visit on one of my days that I am staying on Moorea?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hilton has a small beach and is in view of the front desk. Probably a bit harder to be unnoticed at the Hilton than lets say a large resort where there are places to be to yourselves.

 

I think there is something to be said about the size of the ship(s) visiting the island. A small ship isn't going to be a problem but a large ship can overwhelm the small resorts if many wanted to visit. Now just imagine your staying at the Hilton and a 2500 or more passenger ship is visiting and lets say 2% want to go hang at the Hilton and buy a few drinks  ...... 50 people on a small beach front  ..... I'd be ticked off if I was a paying customer let it be staying at the property or I have an actual day pass. A small ship with lets say around 300 passengers and 2% want to go hang out is only 6 people, about the amount that usually buy a day pass from a small ship to go hang out at the Hilton.  The Hilton does restrict how many day passes are allowed and often people are turned down because the limit was already reached.

 

This is one reason why I'm so out spoken against large ships in FP .... and Moorea is one of the islands that can handle a larger ship but not the small resorts, in the case of Hilton less than 100 rooms and a usable beach only 60 yards long.

 

In all fairness you should buy a day pass or go to the public beaches .... IMO

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...