Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
SSMcruises

Free at Sea Air - any thoughts ?

Recommended Posts

We are 81 days out from sailing the Encore out of Miami.  3 cabins / 9 ppl, all of the reservations were linked together.  

 

My ‘place holder’ flights have been - 

Toronto to Charlotte to Fort Lauderdale, with two days deviation 

Miami to JFK to Toronto, no deviation 

 

Today I decided to call Premium Air and ‘request’ morning flights down.  I was surprised to be told that our flight were already booked but not ticketed.  Our flights were exactly the same as the ‘place holder’ flights for two cabins and a direct flight to Miami for the other cabin.  Everyone’s flights home were the same.   I questioned why one cabin would have been booked differently and the NCL rep was very kind to spend the next 25 mins getting us all on the same flight, direct to Miami.  We are all very thankful for that. 

 

The rep sent me all 9 confirmation emails but she also said that the flights wouldn’t be ticketed until 40 days out.  There are booking reference numbers on the confirmations and the flight status is listed as confirmed 

 

Flights are American down and Delta home.  

 

I would like to upgrade my seats etc but assume that I won’t be able to do that until we are officially ticketed????  

 

Thoughts on the flights changing? 

 

I have to say that I was impressed with the willingness to switch flights around and help us out.  Nothing but positive feedback for NCL air at this point 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You really were lucky to get them to change anything, once they are ticketed they can’t touch them or there is the chance the flights are cancelled. I’ve read a few horror stories on Facebook about this. You can’t select seats or anything else until they are ticketed and you have a confirmation # But it’s simple to do on the airlines app one you have the confirmation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are lucky they changed your flights. They only guarantee you will be on the flight together if you are booked in the same cabin. They don’t guarantee this for multiple cabins, even if linked together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was shocked and very happy not only that they were willing to change our flights but that they also put us all on the much better, direct flight.  

 

There are limited seats available on the flight down, and all are single window seats, unless you upgrade.  I am hoping to upgrade to business class but I will have to be patient and wait until we are ticketed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, SSMcruises said:

I was shocked and very happy not only that they were willing to change our flights but that they also put us all on the much better, direct flight.  

 

There are limited seats available on the flight down, and all are single window seats, unless you upgrade.  I am hoping to upgrade to business class but I will have to be patient and wait until we are ticketed.  

You are making wrong assumptions about seats.  What is showing “available”. Does NOT mean- all- that is available.   Always held back seats.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mnventure said:

You are lucky they changed your flights. They only guarantee you will be on the flight together if you are booked in the same cabin. They don’t guarantee this for multiple cabins, even if linked together. 

I was told differently by the NCL Rep over the phone when we did the air with them in multiple cabins. When we called to link the reservations together and requested the same air, they said they would be able to do it - just no guarantees everyone would be seated together. Nonetheless the OP was really lucky they were able to change it. I will note that flying down we had Delta and returning it was with American. While I was able to use my Delta SkyMiles account going down, for whatever reason American didn't let me use my AAdvantage Number for miles because the ticket was booked through a 3rd party.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Greek Boss said:

I was told differently by the NCL Rep over the phone when we did the air with them in multiple cabins. When we called to link the reservations together and requested the same air, they said they would be able to do it - just no guarantees everyone would be seated together. Nonetheless the OP was really lucky they were able to change it. I will note that flying down we had Delta and returning it was with American. While I was able to use my Delta SkyMiles account going down, for whatever reason American didn't let me use my AAdvantage Number for miles because the ticket was booked through a 3rd party.

Unfortunately, the NCL phone agent gave you wrong information over the phone. As NCL's Terms and Conditions for the reduced air promo were (see the red text, which means that you have to be in the same cabin as each reservation is only for one cabin):

 

 Free or Reduced Air Offer:                                                    
Reservation must be made more than 40 days prior to sailing to qualify. Air offer applies to economy, round-trip flights from select departure gateways only and will automatically apply. Air gateway(s) must be entered in order to prompt free or reduced airfare.See "Gateways & Pricing" tab for the applicable list of gateways and reduced air pricing.  Air gateways are capacity controlled and subject to availability.  Offer only valid on select sailings. Please see "Applicable & Excluded Sailings" tab for the complete list of applicable and non-applicable sailings. Blackout sail dates are at the discretion of Norwegian Cruise Line. Guests may request a one-way air itinerary, in which case they will be charged 50% of the applicable free or reduced air pricing for the selected gateway.3rd-8th guests will receive $50 off Norwegian Cruise Line's regular air/sea rates each way.   Deviations up to 2 days pre/post cruise will be charged $25 USD per person; secondary land package must be selected. No other deviation requests will be permitted. Deviation fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.   Offer includes air taxes, fees & surcharges.   Guests are responsible for airport transfers at an additional cost if selected. Airline imposed personal charges such as baggage fees may apply.   All guests booked within a singular reservation will be booked on the same flight. For Domestic flights, Norwegian Cruise Line will book guests' airfare with a maximum of one connection when possible; air schedules permitting. For International flights, Norwegian Cruise Line will book guests' airfare with a maximum of two connections when possible; air schedules permitting. Norwegian Cruise Line reserves the right to select an alternate airport within 60 miles based on itinerary, choose the air carrier,  routing and city airport from each gateway city and reserves the right to substitute commuter service and/or charter air service for scheduled air carriers without prior notice.        IMPORTANT NOTICE: Norwegian Cruise Line reserves the right to charge a fuel supplement without prior notice should the closing price of West Texas   Intermediate Fuel increase above $65.00 USD per barrel on the NYMEX (New York Mercantile Exchange Index). In the event a fuel supplement is charged, Norwegian   Cruise Line will have sole discretion to apply the supplementary charge to both existing and new bookings, regardless of whether such bookings have been paid in full.  Such supplementary charges are not included in the cruise fare.  The fuel supplement charge will not exceed $10.00 USD per passenger per day     Norwegian Cruise Line is not responsible for typographical errors or omissions.Ships’ registry: BAHAMAS and UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. ©2019 NCL Corporation Ltd    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mnventure Thank you for the response. If they ever decide to bring the air promo back and I am in a similar situation I will have to press them further on it. I will note that it doesn't necessarily say they can't or won't accommodate multiple reservations on the same flights if possible. Something I will just have to double check with them on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Greek Boss said:

@mnventure Thank you for the response. If they ever decide to bring the air promo back and I am in a similar situation I will have to press them further on it. I will note that it doesn't necessarily say they can't or won't accommodate multiple reservations on the same flights if possible. Something I will just have to double check with them on. 

Right...you could get lucky and get on the same flights. It's just not guaranteed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...