Jump to content

Reporting from Riviera


Recommended Posts

Then there are those of us who are classically music oriented who would HATE this music!  I'm older than many of the previous posters.  I grew up in a family that "did" classical music.  My father was a professional violist, my mother an actress.  While we listened to classical music primarily we also listened to the popular music from earlier years but NOT rock, rap, hiphop, etc.  I can't stand those ... although I don't object to a lot of country.  It depends on the song and my mood ... I remember introducing my rock-fan younger sister to Billie Holiday way back when ...

 

I have also posted at various times that I've not really been happy with the string quartets on board ... because I grew up with A-list performers (even if the average classical music lover didn't know their names!) playing chamber music at parties at our house.  So I'm prejudiced about the level of playing, I admit it.  And I myself was a professional singer.  Even so, I prefer the string quartets to "other" music!

 

But I would object to classical music being piped into public areas as much as I would to more contemporary popular music being piped out over a public area ...  I realize it can be very difficult to find something that EVERYONE will appreciate.

 

That's me.  I wouldn't stop sailing over this issue.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mura said:

Then there are those of us who are classically music oriented who would HATE this music!  I'm older than many of the previous posters.  I grew up in a family that "did" classical music.  My father was a professional violist, my mother an actress.  While we listened to classical music primarily we also listened to the popular music from earlier years but NOT rock, rap, hiphop, etc.  I can't stand those ... although I don't object to a lot of country.  It depends on the song and my mood ... I remember introducing my rock-fan younger sister to Billie Holiday way back when ...

 

I have also posted at various times that I've not really been happy with the string quartets on board ... because I grew up with A-list performers (even if the average classical music lover didn't know their names!) playing chamber music at parties at our house.  So I'm prejudiced about the level of playing, I admit it.  And I myself was a professional singer.  Even so, I prefer the string quartets to "other" music!

 

But I would object to classical music being piped into public areas as much as I would to more contemporary popular music being piped out over a public area ...  I realize it can be very difficult to find something that EVERYONE will appreciate.

 

That's me.  I wouldn't stop sailing over this issue.

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks Mura for your input.

I grew up in the suburbs of Detroit and Motown. I would sneak out to clubs (I told my Mom I was babysitting  when 16 yrs old and heard some of the best.She never found out HA!) However, my youngest daughter studied classical voice /opera and won many awards. I like it all and am open to many types of music. Always keep an open mind. I love opera too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Drkitkat, I'm really with you on this score.

 

As to opera ... a young checker at my grocery store a few days ago told me a country singer currently being broadcast throughout the store as one of his favorites.  Of course, this was someone I had never heard of.  So I told this kid that I'm really an opera fan and didn't know his singer ... but that I don't object to country.  I just don't really know the performers. He took it pretty well.

 

I didn't say any more about rap and such ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

I personally would hate background music of any sort while lying at the pool....

Love background music  as long as it stays there and is not too loud. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

the music by the pool is just background noise for me   sometimes  I may  tune my ears to listen to it  but usually it is like having the car radio on when driving   ..it is there  but I am not REALLY  listening

if that makes sense 😁

 

DH  was classically trained on piano & to his Mother's horror  he learn to play guitar  & joined  a rock band 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

Music is as personal as dining.  

 

I can tell you that if Oceania started piping country music at the pool or all over the ship - I would not sail with them again.  I'm serious - that's how much I hate it.  We leave restaurants all the time if the country music gets too loud and management won't turn it down.  But if I feel that way about country, then there is bound to be someone that feels that way about classical or piano jazz.  I know you can't please everybody, with with piped music I wonder if you can please even 50% of the listeners.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn’t complaining, just observing. 
 

I’ve noticed that both of the front doors by Barristas have a sign that says closed due to maintenance. Please use the doors by polo or Toscana. These signs have been there since I boarded on the 15th. Doesn’t bother me as I don’t use it, but I know many do. 
 

One elevator at the front has been out since about the middle of my first cruise, I thought for sure it would be fixed on turn around day. 
 

There is at least one family with a small toddler. I’ve seen them twice in specialties. Doesn’t bother me but I noticed one couple seated close to them in Toscana left during their first course. Maybe the child had nothing to do with it. 
 

Time for breakfast. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just curious, as I find this discussion interesting as I am 67 and was 18 in 1970 when LZ, Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, Queen, Credence Clearwater Revival and similar music was playing on the air waves. What is the average age of the passengers currently on the Marina?

 

Old enough to know that Paul McCartney was a member of a popular band before Wings.  :classic_biggrin::classic_laugh::classic_rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

 

Old enough to know that Paul McCartney was a member of a popular band before Wings.  :classic_biggrin::classic_laugh::classic_rolleyes:

Were you aware of the recent kerfuffle where Paul McCartney was denied VIP access to a Manhattan nightclub because he "isn't a big enough celebrity"?

The Times, they are a changin"...

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

Were you aware of the recent kerfuffle where Paul McCartney was denied VIP access to a Manhattan nightclub because he "isn't a big enough celebrity"?

The Times, they are a changin"...

Everyone should just be grateful to be cruising because you never know when you will be "Knockin' on Heavens Door".

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

Were you aware of the recent kerfuffle where Paul McCartney was denied VIP access to a Manhattan nightclub because he "isn't a big enough celebrity"?

The Times, they are a changin"...

Seriously!? Perhaps he could buy the club! As to music I like classical. I don't mind country(though not piped on board a ship. I like classical music in the GDR, but certainly soft enough as not to interfere with dinner conversation. Rock type around the pool is fine, but again reasonable loudness. Please NO RAP! Save that for the Carnivore ships.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Everyone should just be grateful to be cruising because you never know when you will be "Knockin' on Heavens Door".

I get up in the morning and if I can look down at the floor it is thank you very much.  Cruising is just an extra bonus. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, StanandJim said:

Were you aware of the recent kerfuffle where Paul McCartney was denied VIP access to a Manhattan nightclub because he "isn't a big enough celebrity"?

The Times, they are a changin"...

Just another old guy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

 

Old enough to know that Paul McCartney was a member of a popular band before Wings.  :classic_biggrin::classic_laugh::classic_rolleyes:

Tying two current thread topics into one. I saw in a magazine article recently that even though they recognize some of his music, the number of under 55 Americans that knows who John Williams , by name, is very small. However, I willing to bet it’s still far larger than the number that know who Jacques Pepin is. 

 

A few of our lady friends went to see Kris Kristofenson ( sp) this past week. Their comment was “ It’s time for him to retire, he mostly just acted old!” The time is coming when 3 Dog Night and CCR will seem like Jimmy Dorsey and Glenn Miller. I wonder the percentage of those watching Lawrence Welk reruns every week that are still taking cruises?

 

It’s funny to walk past the string quartet in the evening and looking at all the passengers that are sound asleep 😴! Is there some magical formula that measures quality of sound to sleeping cruisers? Does the same formula work for preachers and sleeping parishioners?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2019 at 11:08 AM, ORV said:


 

We have a new GM. Thomas Kueler, I’m not familiar with him, I guess I will find out as we’re going to dinner in a group hosted by him in Privee

I went back and looked at the invite again, it’s The Captain & GM. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ORV said:

I went back and looked at the invite again, it’s The Captain & GM. 

 

2 hours ago, ORV said:

I went back and looked at the invite again, it’s The Captain & GM. 

Sounds like a lot of fun.  Wish we were there.    Have a great time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ORV said:

I went back and looked at the invite again, it’s The Captain & GM. 

I meant to add that I guess that he's a pretty Senior Officer. I'm sure it's for the O Club perk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2019 at 8:50 AM, ORV said:

I went back and looked at the invite again, it’s The Captain & GM. 

I guess I’m reading challenged. It was just the GM, the one with the Captain’s name was for the repeaters parties. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ORV said:

I guess I’m reading challenged. It was just the GM, the one with the Captain’s name was for the repeaters parties. 

Hi Orv

Have you seen the Captain yet?  He didn't show for either repeaters party on the Nov 15th cruise and I was told he didn't show for repeater party on the previous Montreal to Miami cruise.  I'm not one that has to see the Captain but he was particularly invisible.

According to the Currents, his name was Maksym Melnikov.  Never had him on any of my previous cruises.

 

Hope you are enjoying your second half.  It's freezing drizzle here with snow expected on top of the ice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Hi Orv

Have you seen the Captain yet?  He didn't show for either repeaters party on the Nov 15th cruise and I was told he didn't show for repeater party on the previous Montreal to Miami cruise.  I'm not one that has to see the Captain but he was particularly invisible.

According to the Currents, his name was Maksym Melnikov.  Never had him on any of my previous cruises.

 

Hope you are enjoying your second half.  It's freezing drizzle here with snow expected on top of the ice.

Not so unusual! I’d have to look for his name but the Ship’s Captain on our last cruise attended neither the Captain’s welcome nor farewell , neither did he attend the repeaters party. A ghost! 

 

As an aside, we never really knew if the Captain’s noon address was actually coming from the Captain! We departed and got back safely, so never seeing the Cpt wasn’t that big a deal. If he displayed no desire to meet us, guess we shouldn’t want to meet him either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2019 at 4:20 PM, pinotlover said:

 

 

A few of our lady friends went to see Kris Kristofenson ( sp) this past week. Their comment was “ It’s time for him to retire, he mostly just acted old!” The time is coming when 3 Dog Night and CCR will seem like Jimmy Dorsey and Glenn Miller. I wonder the percentage of those watching Lawrence Welk reruns every week that are still taking cruises?

 

 

I’m an avid Peloton user and older than most.  That said, the classic rock,  60’s and 70’s Rock theme rides are very popular.  It can’t be just the few oldsters riding those rides and enjoying the music. In fact, I can see a riders age group in the live feed of “who’s here” and most are in their 30’s and 40’s. It’s the same story on the Tread. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...