Cruise Critic Community
Whatsausername

Do cruises typically go up in price closer to sail dates?

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

"Restrictions" on specialty restaurants???

On Oceania, you can eat as many times in a specialty restaurant as you want as long as your flexible about time and sharing (if necessary). Want extra entrees? Eat as much as you want (BTW, USDA Prime meats).

Try comparing the "bigger than balcony" cabins (what you call a suite might be the equivalent of a penthouse on Oceania). Again, you may be surprised at the price. And you'll definitely be surprised at the quality of food.

BTW: how big is your balcony in your usual "suite?" Here's a basic B3 balcony (extended) on Oceania (same price as non-extended).

Again, remember that I'm talking about "premium" lines and not "luxury" (all inclusives).

IMG_9874.JPG

Yes, there are restrictions.  Only once per cruise per stateroom is guaranteed.  I'm not flexible.  I don't mind paying if that means I can book as many as I want, when I want.    

That balcony is rather small and it's not covered. 

Here's the balcony on the next cruise I have booked.

http://halfacts.com/vista-class/5191-zuiderdam-s/

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Yes, there are restrictions.  Only once per cruise per stateroom is guaranteed. 

If you're talking about Oceania, you are terribly misinformed! 

In any case, now realizing that you're talking about HAL, you are correct that there's absolutely no comparison.👀 

13 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If you're talking about Oceania, you are terribly misinformed! 

In any case, now realizing that you're talking about HAL, you are correct that there's absolutely no comparison.👀 

And, yes,  you're correct that there is no comparison between Oceania and Holland.  If Holland were like Oceania, I would not be cruising Holland.  BTW, my next cruise after Holland is an aft Vista on Caribbean Princess.  It's several times larger than the one you showed and it's fully covered.

You see, we like big covered balconies.  That's why we book suites.  That's why we book the lines we book.  That's more important to us than the bed sheets or the included drinks or the food in the MDR (we're not terribly fond of the MDR on any line).

Edited by RocketMan275

9 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

.....(we're not terribly fond of the MDR on any line).

Your citation about reservations regards pre-embarkation reservations and that number depends on itinerary length and cabin class. HOWEVER, once onboard, you can make additional reservations each day for that evening. So, you can eat in a specialty every night. You just need to be flexible about time and sharing.

I do understand that, for some reason, you value space over things that I find important (I.e., food quality). We're yacht sailors. So, space is not an issue for us. 

On the other hand, we've had "mass market" food. So, thanks but "no thanks."

To each his own.

Merry Christmas.

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Your citation about reservations regards pre-embarkation reservations and that number depends on itinerary length and cabin class. HOWEVER, once onboard, you can make additional reservations each day for that evening. So, you can eat in a specialty every night. You just need to be flexible about time and sharing.

I do understand that, for some reason, you value space over things that I find important (I.e., food quality). We're yacht sailors. So, space is not an issue for us. 

On the other hand, we've had "mass market" food. So, thanks but "no thanks."

To each his own.

Merry Christmas.

Of course those additional reservations are subject to availability, flexibility, and sharing.  We'd rather make our reservations when we want and we're not too good at sharing.

We too have been yacht sailors (38 foot Searay).  Things/people/desires change.

Merry Christmas to you too.

On 12/8/2019 at 8:35 AM, RocketMan275 said:

Are you comparing the same class of cabins?  Suite on mass market v. suite on luxury line? Or, are you comparing suite v. balcony?

Some of the luxury lines are all suites.

I was comparing equivalent cabins, size, amenities, etc.  So yes, apples to apples.

But even on the mass market lines, you can have different levels of suites.  Both in the cabins and the prices.  Price the Aqua Suites on RCI.

3 minutes ago, SRF said:

Some of the luxury lines are all suites.

I was comparing equivalent cabins, size, amenities, etc.  So yes, apples to apples.

But even on the mass market lines, you can have different levels of suites.  Both in the cabins and the prices.  Price the Aqua Suites on RCI.

IMO, Rocketman275 is not about to consider the true value quotient of premium/luxury cruising. 

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

IMO, Rocketman275 is not about to consider the true value quotient of premium/luxury cruising. 

You will have to excuse my brevity.  Had heart catheterization this AM and dr says no using hand.  I have considered that.  We have a different decision matrix.

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

You will have to excuse my brevity.  Had heart catheterization this AM and dr says no using hand.  I have considered that.  We have a different decision matrix.

Hope your feisty self quickly recovers as needed. Take care. 

6 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

You are definitely a hard core cruise critic contributor!  I wish you a speedy recovery.  

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

You are definitely a hard core cruise critic contributor!  I wish you a speedy recovery.  

9 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Hope your feisty self quickly recovers as needed. Take care. 

Not a big deal.  Had a positive stress test a couple of weeks ago and doc wanted to check for blockage.  None were found so I'm in good shape.  They went in through my right wrist.  24 hour limitation on wrist movement for healing.  Typing included.  

Next week I've got an EGD.  Think oral colonoscopy.  No prep so that's good.  I'm working towards a gastric sleeve operation in January.

But thanks for your concerns.

34 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

@RocketMan275 I'm glad to see you had a good result.  Best wishes for patience and time to fly during the next 24 hours while you heal.

The big issues will be following the gastric sleeve surgery in late January.

15 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Not a big deal.  Had a positive stress test a couple of weeks ago and doc wanted to check for blockage.  None were found so I'm in good shape.  They went in through my right wrist.  24 hour limitation on wrist movement for healing.  Typing included.  

Next week I've got an EGD.  Think oral colonoscopy.  No prep so that's good.  I'm working towards a gastric sleeve operation in January.

But thanks for your concerns.

I've had the EGD, though it has been a few years.  I was wide awake during the process because I didn't want to take the time for recovery out of anesthesia.   Not too bad as things go I suppose., but I'm pretty sure I thought otherwise while it was happening.  Haha.    

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

I've had the EGD, though it has been a few years.  I was wide awake during the process because I didn't want to take the time for recovery out of anesthesia.   Not too bad as things go I suppose., but I'm pretty sure I thought otherwise while it was happening.  Haha.    

You're a brave man.