Cruise Critic Community
scrabble6

A few Edge questions

A few questions for the Edgxperts!  Thanks so much in advance for taking your time to share some info!!

1. I'm curious about the Magic Carpet:  On embarkation day, where is it "parked"?  Is it a popular spot for Sailaway?  On sea days, is it used as a bar?  Is it located on the pool deck at that time?
  2. We're sailing 12/8.  The MDR menu's for each night are on the app.  Are these menu's generally reliable/accurate for the specific cruise?
  3. In the MDRs--are there two-top tables available by the windows for Select dining?
  4. On S-class ships we have occasionally been invited to the helipad to sail in or out of ports, which we always enjoyed.  Is a similar experience available on the Edge?  If so, what location?  Who gets invited?   
  5. There is an open deck forward, just outside of the spa area and seems to be accessible only from the spa.  Is this deck open to everyone?  Is it a sailaway location?
  6. In which dining room in the Concierge embarkation lunch served?

If anyone is on the Edge Western Caribbean sailing departing this weekend 11/24, please post the dailies if you're able!

THANKS!!

1 hour ago, scrabble6 said:

A few questions for the Edgxperts!  Thanks so much in advance for taking your time to share some info!!

1. I'm curious about the Magic Carpet:  On embarkation day, where is it "parked"?  Is it a popular spot for Sailaway?  On sea days, is it used as a bar?  Is it located on the pool deck at that time?
  2. We're sailing 12/8.  The MDR menu's for each night are on the app.  Are these menu's generally reliable/accurate for the specific cruise?
  3. In the MDRs--are there two-top tables available by the windows for Select dining?
  4. On S-class ships we have occasionally been invited to the helipad to sail in or out of ports, which we always enjoyed.  Is a similar experience available on the Edge?  If so, what location?  Who gets invited?   
  5. There is an open deck forward, just outside of the spa area and seems to be accessible only from the spa.  Is this deck open to everyone?  Is it a sailaway location?
  6. In which dining room in the Concierge embarkation lunch served?

If anyone is on the Edge Western Caribbean sailing departing this weekend 11/24, please post the dailies if you're able!

THANKS!!

I would love to know the answers to those same questions. Thanks

1. I'm curious about the Magic Carpet:  On embarkation day, where is it "parked"? It may vary, but was on 14 when we boarded as part of the pool deck.
  2. Is it a popular spot for Sailaway?  It can be, if the weather is right.
  3. On sea days, is it used as a bar?  Is it located on the pool deck at that time? It may be there much of day and be used as a bar
  4. We're sailing 12/8.  The MDR menu's for each night are on the app.  Are these menu's generally reliable/accurate for the specific cruise? They are never totally dependable, but seemed to be more so onboard (they sometimes tweak the order)
  5. On S-class ships we have occasionally been invited to the helipad to sail in or out of ports, which we always enjoyed.  Is a similar experience available on the Edge?  If so, what location?  Who gets invited?   The helipad is too small, but may be invited to front of spa (deck) or Magic Carpet (have heard about both being used). Hard to know who will be invited - have heard about different Captain Club levels and cabin levels being invited
  6. There is an open deck forward, just outside of the spa area and seems to be accessible only from the spa.  Is this deck open to everyone?  Is it a sailaway location? It can only be used by those who have spa appts
  7. In which dining room in the Concierge embarkation lunch served? Cosmopolitan

Thanks vtcruising!   Very helpful, as always!  The Edge info that you share here on Cruise Critic is great.  Can't wait to be onboard in just a couple of weeks!

Our previous port sail-in/away invites seem to be related to Concierge class--otherwise we're "nothin' special".  😊

Fingers crossed that someone will be able to post some current dailies from the Caribbean!

re the Magic Carpet, we were very lucky on our cruise a month ago that the weather was favourable. I had been very sceptical about the Carpet prior to the cruise but it turned out to be one of the nicest open deck areas on the ship for seating and for non suite passengers the only place to get a forward view.

On embarkation and sea days it was situated on deck 15, other days on deck 14.

RX302522s.jpg

RX302524 copys.jpg

RX600727ms.jpg

RX600750mcs.jpg

1 hour ago, scrabble6 said:

Thanks vtcruising!   Very helpful, as always!  The Edge info that you share here on Cruise Critic is great.  Can't wait to be onboard in just a couple of weeks!

Our previous port sail-in/away invites seem to be related to Concierge class--otherwise we're "nothin' special".  😊

Fingers crossed that someone will be able to post some current dailies from the Caribbean!

We're all special...regardless of cabin class/location or Captain's Club level.  That's my story...and I'm sticking to it!

2 hours ago, scrabble6 said:

You must be so excited!!

We will be on this sailing as well, and can't wait! We were on the Edge in March, and my favorite spot for the Magic Carpet was when it was parked on deck 5, when it's closest to the water. We would watch for the times in the daily and get there as soon as it parked to make sure we got a good spot.  

VTCruising answers are spot on.   One thing I noticed on my recent Edge sailing is that there are limited locations for embarkation from ports that passengers can access.    The Retreat of course has an open deck which is forward facing.

If you don't mind being inside a good location is the Gym that has wrap around windows which are forward facing.  One thing I really noticed is that on much of the deck area the glass panels are about 10 feet tall and difficult to photograph through. 

On our cruise the Magic Carpet was generally parked at deck 14 adjacent to the Cabana's on the pool level.   It was open for sailaways and generally packed.  They served dinner twice while at sea on deck 14 and a couple time on Deck 5 as an extension of Raw on 5.   The days they opened for dinner at sea the winds were mild and didn't notice any problems with things flying around like originally reported. 

The  Magic Carpet was also lowered to sea level on a couple occasions for use during tendering. 

Edited by Jim_Iain

Thanks again to all of you for your most helpful thoughts, info, and beautiful photos. 

Jim_Iain, I followed your journey through Greece and across the Atlantic--so fun!  (funny story, for quite a while I thought your name was "Jim Lain"--the capital I being a small L-- then I realized there was both Jim & Iain with the beautiful Gaelic spelling.)