LIVE – Explorer Transatlantic – 11/23 – 12/7/2019

Travelcat2

1 hour ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

On our September cruise, this was how I signed on the internet the first time. I can't remenber what but not all was required after that. I kinda liked it as I didn't have to remember a new password. Regent, in the on-line tutorial for the electronic Comment Card bragged about it being for ease of access. have you tried the Comment Card yet?

At this point, it seems as if this is happening because it is being worked on.  Today I haven’t have to sign in multiple times but have seen a strange error message that makes it appear that the server cannot be found.  However, if you ignore the message, you get online with no problem.  

The Business Center (aka the computer room), has been full more than we have seen in the past so I have not had the opportunity to chat with the computer person.  When he is there, there is a line of passengers that do not know how to sign in on their devices or perhaps are confused by how difficult it was to get online.  Today I was able to sign in while yesterday, for most of the day, I could not log in at all.  

For some reason, I remain optimistic that the system will be fixed and, hopefully, will be better than it was previously.  When it comes to Regent, I am the eternal optimist.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Changed devices - let’s give this a try.

Judi - in suite 879

B66DE7D1-46B4-42AE-B206-E4D9F1A1220B.jpeg

3F39DAB6-1179-4830-8DF6-0B9351BB5684.jpeg

From the pictures, looks like an officers challenge which are generally well attended and attract some very competitive participants - not going to say which side other than they are mostly wearing white.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, judi666 said:

So nice to meet you and Dennis last night.  Hope we can have a dinner.  I promptly forgot you suite #, but ours is 867.  Possibly on one of the sea days?   
I know there is a lot of discussions about the excursions.  My frustration has been not really knowing what to expect.  The rating system is useless in many cases.   We have had a few we really liked; the one with the camel ride and the one where you are pushed downhill at top speed in a flimsy wicker basket, were unique and fun experiences. I think most people could do them.

I will admit that the thought of not having to do so much research on private tours , as well as looking throughout a roll call for others to share them ( although we have made lifetime cruise friends this way) seemed appealing.  The reality has not been quite as I hoped.   Although, I really love the Explorer, I am on the fence as too booking again.   Someone mentioned “just don’t do the excursions, if it’s a problem”. I get that, but since I have to have some sort of a cruising budget, paying aprox 20% more for something I’m not using  doesn’t make sense.

On the bright side, the included alcohol, is a nice feature.  We have perhaps overdone it a bit in the beginning 😍.     Internet seems better today. Actually, has been better overall on this second leg of the cruise. Everyday on vacation is a good one no matter the tiny inconveniences.

Tend to agree with you regarding tours.  We are currently on the Explorer, having gotten on in Barcelona, and are 2 doors down from you.  We have had a couple of problems regarding our tours this cruise and have had to discuss it with Destination Services which in one case was not a pleasant experience.  

We also have been very worried about the level of walking indicated with the tours.  We have pretty much given up on anything over a one walker.  We have done two walkers with no problem and two walkers that were way to difficult for my husband.  Don't want to take a chance not being able to complete a tour or hold people up so have cancelled some tours to be safe.  I'm really having to study and evaluate each tour.

We are also thinking of using another cruise line because we feel we are not getting a good value from Regent when we are not using their tours. Yes, the ships are beautiful, food excellent, service good, room lovely and ship clean but when you don't use the tours is it worth paying the extra money for a product you will not be using.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

What is unusual is the feel of the floor.  It is non-slip and not smooth like vinyl.  Not familiar with luxury vinyl planks but am impressed with the floor.  Will try to learn more about it as we would love to replace some wood flooring in the kitchen but it would need to be able to withstand spills, etc.  I’m getting so far off track that I need to pull myself back.

Okay - have not taken photos of today’s activities but just took two photos of Lorraine (CD) setting up a game.  Passengers really get into these games and are cheering each other on - applauding them, etc.  Regent passengers are not quite as boring as people may think😇  Will post the two photos when I’m not in our suite (connectivity much better on deck 5 (where the computer room, seating areas, Coffee Connection, Meridien Lounge, Destination Services, Reception and the Cruise Consultant are located.). Deck 5 is a busy but lovely place to hang out.

Laminate flooring, I think

3 hours ago, az2sea said:

Tend to agree with you regarding tours.  We are currently on the Explorer, having gotten on in Barcelona, and are 2 doors down from you.  We have had a couple of problems regarding our tours this cruise and have had to discuss it with Destination Services which in one case was not a pleasant experience.  

We also have been very worried about the level of walking indicated with the tours.  We have pretty much given up on anything over a one walker.  We have done two walkers with no problem and two walkers that were way to difficult for my husband.  Don't want to take a chance not being able to complete a tour or hold people up so have cancelled some tours to be safe.  I'm really having to study and evaluate each tour.

We are also thinking of using another cruise line because we feel we are not getting a good value from Regent when we are not using their tours. Yes, the ships are beautiful, food excellent, service good, room lovely and ship clean but when you don't use the tours is it worth paying the extra money for a product you will not be using.

Thank you for your interesting post.  We cancelled our morning excursion - partly because some of the “included” excursions have been disappointing.  I do understand why some people appreciate included excursions and, in certain areas of the world (like the Middle East), we do take included excursions.  In general, we prefer to do our own thing.

To me, the issue of going to another cruise line because of excursions is a double edge sword.  You don’t pay for excursions upfront, however, if you want to do excursions, sometimes they are more than twice the price of Regent Choice excursions.  For instance, we have taken an identical excursion in Greece on both Oceania and Regent.  On Regent the cost was around $250/person and on Oceania it was close to $500/person.  

Caroldoll - thank you for your view of the floor.  I’m definitely going to look into it when we get home.

10 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

"To me, the issue of going to another cruise line because of excursions is a double edge sword.  You don’t pay for excursions upfront, however, if you want to do excursions, sometimes they are more than twice the price of Regent Choice excursions.  For instance, we have taken an identical excursion in Greece on both Oceania and Regent.  On Regent the cost was around $250/person and on Oceania it was close to $500/person.  "

I am quite sure that there is an easy explanation for this difference.  Part of what one pays in the Regent fare goes to cover included excursions.  On Oceania no excursions are included so this doesn't apply.  To have a "paying" excursion on Regent cost 50% of what the same one costs on Oceania makes total sense...in that you have already made a sizable payment for excursions on Regent in your fare.   So you are, essentially, paying the difference in price and not "full freight".

7 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

I am quite sure that there is an easy explanation for this difference.  Part of what one pays in the Regent fare goes to cover included excursions.  On Oceania no excursions are included so this doesn't apply.  To have a "paying" excursion on Regent cost 50% of what the same one costs on Oceania makes total sense...in that you have already made a sizable payment for excursions on Regent in your fare.   So you are, essentially, paying the difference in price and not "full freight".

You are partially correct Gerry.  However your explanation does not cover the $250 difference in the pricing for the excurson in question.  Several years ago was told by a Regent exec that included excursions were those up to $150 in value.  Not sure if that is still the number however the $250 difference is more that the $150 it should be based on $150 for included excursions so there has to be another answer.

Also, that is only one part of the puzzle.  Many people like to do independent excursions that are both less expensive that cruise line excursions without the additional cruise line charge and that they can be customized.  More likely included excursions for every port are much more expensive than independent excursions and customizable.  Also other luxury lines do not charge as much for excursions as Regent or Oceania.

In any case, should Regent decide to give people the option to take or not take included excursions, would expect a signifiant increase in cruise fares for everyone in order for Regent to maintain their profitability.  

Have to be extremely careful when asking for change due to the unintended consequences due to the change and there are unintended consequences for almost all changes..

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Thank you for your interesting post.  We cancelled our morning excursion - partly because some of the “included” excursions have been disappointing.  I do understand why some people appreciate included excursions and, in certain areas of the world (like the Middle East), we do take included excursions.  In general, we prefer to do our own thing.

To me, the issue of going to another cruise line because of excursions is a double edge sword.  You don’t pay for excursions upfront, however, if you want to do excursions, sometimes they are more than twice the price of Regent Choice excursions.  For instance, we have taken an identical excursion in Greece on both Oceania and Regent.  On Regent the cost was around $250/person and on Oceania it was close to $500/person.  

Caroldoll - thank you for your view of the floor.  I’m definitely going to look into it when we get home.

I agree the tours you pay for on Oceania are outrageous in price and often exactly the same sort of thing as Regent.  I was more thinking of private or limited tours you book yourself.  Many of the roll calls consist of people looking for tour shares.  Tours by locals is a great company

and have wonderful guides and vehicles. Usually limited to 6 people. The cost is usually much less.  Of course there can be duds on any excursion.  They are excellent about refunding tour cost if the port is canceled. I’m finding the bus tours to be some amount of fun, but if you are slow , there is barely time to look at something before you have to start trudging back to the bus, so as to not inconvenience others. 

I have only had to sign in once in two weeks.  I wonder why you have to each time?

Regarding some posters;  I think people often don’t understand how what they say may construed as negative and there are real people with feelings behind the posts they may critic. This is a problem in almost all social media platforms IMHO.

16 minutes ago, rallydave said:

>>In any case, should Regent decide to give people the option to take or not take included excursions, would expect a signifiant increase in cruise fares for everyone in order for Regent to maintain their profitability.  

Have to be extremely careful when asking for change due to the unintended consequences due to the change and there are unintended consequences for almost all changes..>>

Dave - I am not at all sure I agree on the first point.  I doubt Regent's bottom line would be impacted by offering an "opt out" from the included excursions though such an opt out might well result in more expensive excursions for those who opt in.

Second point - that I totally agree with and it applies to almost all change!

49 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Dave - I am not at all sure I agree on the first point.  I doubt Regent's bottom line would be impacted by offering an "opt out" from the included excursions though such an opt out might well result in more expensive excursions for those who opt in.

Second point - that I totally agree with and it applies to almost all change!

Gerry, Thanks for understanding second point.  Please let me further clarify the first point.

First of all "profit" is not a bad word, without profit, no profit making company could exist.

Sure profit is included in the additional dollars included for excursions in the cruise fare.  Therefore any opt outs would reduce the amount of profit on every cruise.

Secondly with the current plan, when people don't take any Regent excursions in various ports, the entire amount of dollars become profit as Regent does not have to pay the tour operator.  Operating plans ared eveloped based on a certain percentage of excursions not being taken.so if people coud opt out the amount of income and thus profit would be reduced.  

This is why IMHO cruise fares would have to increase to maintain the current profit levels.  Hope this helps; so much easier to talk things through than putting them in writing.

Thanks,

1 hour ago, judi666 said:

I agree the tours you pay for on Oceania are outrageous in price and often exactly the same sort of thing as Regent.  I was more thinking of private or limited tours you book yourself.  Many of the roll calls consist of people looking for tour shares.  Tours by locals is a great company

and have wonderful guides and vehicles. Usually limited to 6 people. The cost is usually much less.  Of course there can be duds on any excursion.  They are excellent about refunding tour cost if the port is canceled. I’m finding the bus tours to be some amount of fun, but if you are slow , there is barely time to look at something before you have to start trudging back to the bus, so as to not inconvenience others. 

I have only had to sign in once in two weeks.  I wonder why you have to each time?

Regarding some posters;  I think people often don’t understand how what they say may construed as negative and there are real people with feelings behind the posts they may critic. This is a problem in almost all social media platforms IMHO.

Because most excursions are not included on Oceania, their Roll Call is a wonderful source for people wanting to get a group together for a small group excursion.  We had a wonderful excursion with three other couples that went into Tuscany.  We found the other couples through Roll Call.  The only time I see requests to get groups together on Regent’s Roll Call is when there is a question about whether Regent plans to do a particular excursion.

The sign-in issue mainly happened the first day.  Today the internet is quite speedy (probably because a lot of people are ashore).  The error message is still occurring but when I click on “dismiss”, it goes away.  I can put up with this - as long as it ends up being as good as it is today.

Thank you for your understanding about social media platforms.  It is indeed frustrating when you are taking the time to share your vacation on a public board and get slammed for it.  For whatever reason, the other boards that I participate in are quite civil (especially the one that Regent runs).   I know that there are people on this thread that are really into seeing menu’s, hearing about shows, etc., so I will continue to post  (in my own way) for them.  

Ate way too much for lunch.  Think I’ll take a nap (my first since onboard).  I know - this is definitely boring information.  

Before I forget once again, I promised to comment on my two “glasses” that are suppose to stop seasickness.  The seas have been a bit rocky but, like most of our November transatlantic sailings, the weather is warm (close to 70 degrees every day) and the seas are moderate.  Anyway, twice I was a bit queasy and put on the “Boarding Ring” glasses (I posted them online months ago - they are really ugly but you only wear them for 20 minutes and then you’re fine).  It seemed to work (as did the other type — sunglasses with one side blocked so that you are seeing with one eye.  Almost hoping for rougher seas so that I will know for sure if they work for me (note:  they have copies of the Boarding Ring glasses on Amazon but they are not the original that is from France.  in my opinion, if you want to buy a pair, get the real ones!

That’s it for now!

TC2,

Thanks for the update on the Boarding Ring glasses.  Good feedback.  I'm interested in hearing more from you as you continue on the cruise. 

I've got both types of glasses, too.  I'll be testing on Explorer during the second half of January in the Western Caribbean.

Bon voyage

P.S. Stop posting all those menu pictures.  You are making me hungry!

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

.  Anyway, twice I was a bit queasy and put on the “Boarding Ring” glasses (I posted them online months ago - they are really ugly but you only wear them for 20 minutes and then you’re fine).  It seemed to work (as did the other type — sunglasses with one side blocked so that you are seeing with one eye.  Almost hoping for rougher seas so that I will know for sure if they work for me (note:  they have copies of the Boarding Ring glasses on Amazon but they are not the original that is from France.  in my opinion, if you want to buy a pair, get the real ones!

Be careful what you wish for, rougher seas?????😂Have a great trip.

rcandkc - Thank you for your kind words.  Hope that you and your family also have a great Thanksgiving.  Also wishing everyone on Cruise Critic a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Explorer will be quite festive tomorrow with more than one dining venue serving turkey.  I’m actually missing turkey...... Regent typically has at least one whole turkey that they are carving in LV and a turkey breast (also in LV being carved) during each voyage.  So far, no turkey!  Guess they are all being saved for tomorrow.

Edited by Travelcat2

On 11/26/2019 at 3:50 AM, Travelcat2 said:

What is unusual is the feel of the floor.  It is non-slip and not smooth like vinyl.  Not familiar with luxury vinyl planks but am impressed with the floor.  Will try to learn more about it as we would love to replace some wood flooring in the kitchen but it would need to be able to withstand spills, etc.  I’m getting so far off track that I need to pull myself back.

Okay - have not taken photos of today’s activities but just took two photos of Lorraine (CD) setting up a game.  Passengers really get into these games and are cheering each other on - applauding them, etc.  Regent passengers are not quite as boring as people may think😇  Will post the two photos when I’m not in our suite (connectivity much better on deck 5 (where the computer room, seating areas, Coffee Connection, Meridien Lounge, Destination Services, Reception and the Cruise Consultant are located.). Deck 5 is a busy but lovely place to hang out.

Jackie—

A quick off topic answer to your off topic question. The flooring might be porcelain faux wood tiles. You can get them in planks of various widths and lengths. They’re pricey, but are indestructible and stunning. 

A quick comment- we have sailed on both Regent and Oceania.
You can not compare the level of dining and service. Regent far surpasses Oceania. Fortunately, we have reached the stage in life that our bucket lists are almost completed. 
So, with regard to tours, sometimes we do an excursion, sometimes, we just relax on the ship. 
For many years we did only private tours on the mainstream cruise lines. Now our cruises are based on relaxing in the lap of luxury. That’s Regent. 

• Like 1

Beautiful but a bit rainy Thanksgiving.  It is 68 degrees outside so it isn’t cold.  We will do the 4 x 4 excursion this afternoon (in about an hour) and am happy that we’re meeting in the Explorer Lounge instead of the theater.

We are having a hamburger at the Pool Grill since LV doesn’t open until noon and we have to be ready by 12:45 p.m.  Dennis and I have been looking for a good hamburger for a while and finally found it on Explorer.  I’m only being 50% bad because I am not having French Fries.

Food in Sette Mari was pretty good last night (this is not a favorite dining venue for us).  Service was great.  My DH asked about how a Cod dish was prepared so a Chef came out to explain and said that he would cook it himself.  Dennis said that it was delicious (I had gnocchi with meat sauce rather than pesto — which was on the menu).  

This may be my most boring email ever.  Sorry!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, BarbarianPaul said:

Jackie—

A quick off topic answer to your off topic question. The flooring might be porcelain faux wood tiles. You can get them in planks of various widths and lengths. They’re pricey, but are indestructible and stunning. 

That was my initial thought, too.