Tethering Sony A6300

Victress2007

Hi all,

I need some help from the experts.  I am going to photograph an old journal which was donated to the museum I volunteer for.  We have the setup all ready, but I would like to tether the camera to my laptop so I can easily see the pictures I am taking.  This journal is delicate and historically valuable, so we would like to do this process only once.  I would like to see largely and clearly the pictures I am taking to ensure they are sharply focused.  The camera will be on a copy stand, so I can't put my eye to the viewfinder.

I see online that I can use a couple different programs, does anyone have any great suggestions?  The cheaper the better, of course!

Thanks,

Vic

Edited by Victress2007

Out of the options listed on the tether tools site ( https://www.tethertools.com/camera/sony-a6300/#tetheringsoftware ) I've only ever used Capture One, and it's what I currently use, so it'd be my recommendation.

Darktable I know is free and from what I can see so is Sony Imaging Edge, might be worth giving them a try first to see if they do what you want before exploring Capture One.

Vic, if you are already a Lightroom user, it has tethering capability built in. If you are not, I think you can get a week free trial from Adobe. (I am not sure about the free trial, so check out the Adobe Creative Cloud website.) 

2 hours ago, Dan_K said:

Vic, if you are already a Lightroom user, it has tethering capability built in. If you are not, I think you can get a week free trial from Adobe. (I am not sure about the free trial, so check out the Adobe Creative Cloud website.) 

Lightroom only supports Nikon and Canon for tethering. There is a note about other cameras perhaps being supported and to contact your manufacturer.

You can use Imaging Edge form Sony to tether and auto import into Lightroom from the capture folder. (No live view on the A6300).

You could simply flip your LCD into the 90° position and set it to manual focus with the magnifier set to no limit. That way you could comfortably see if the subject is in sharp focus. It wouldn't really matter if the image was viewed right side up since you are shooting at a static copy platform.

Just some Ideas.

Capture One for Sony does support live view tethering for the A6300, so if this is going to be an ongoing task, it may be worth the investment.

Dave

2 minutes ago, pierces said:

Lightroom only supports Nikon and Canon for tethering. There is a note about other cameras perhaps being supported and to contact your manufacturer.

Thank you for the clarification, Dave. I did not know that LR limits this capability to Nikon/Canon users. Sorry for my misleading and misinformed post. 

Dan 

6 hours ago, Dan_K said:

Thank you for the clarification, Dave. I did not know that LR limits this capability to Nikon/Canon users. Sorry for my misleading and misinformed post. 

Dan 

Not at all a reason to be sorry. There are a billion apps out there and if any of us new all the details, our heads would explode. 🙂

Your post was the first breadcrumb I followed to see if Lightroom had expanded its support. Actual value in that!

Dave