Princess cays questions

Scubadoc

We have never been to princess keys but it will be our first stop on our January cruise on the crown. Questions:

We are in a full suite. How do we access the priority tender perk?

How is the shade situation? Is it worth the money to get a clamshell or can we find trees or something to give us shade?

Has anyone tried the surf fishing excursion? Do you actually catch anything? 

What is the temperature normally like there in January? Seems to me that We had a very cold day once on a cruise in the Bahamas.

Thanks! 

• Like 1

Hi my DH and i tried surf fishing it was fun. You are only allowed to go in the ocean up to your knees when we went. We were there in November a couple of years ago.The water was warm to us but we are from Ontario Canada and we are used to swimming in water that barley reaches 70 degrees  Fahrenheit in the summer. I had quite a few bites and one fish that jumped out of the water then dove and snagged me  the coral. Neither my Dh or I did not land any fish but I am glad I tried surf fishing. Being in  a suite you get priority tender tickets.

Hope you have a good time and if you do going fishing that you catch lots of fish. 

Almost no trees for shade, but you can hike down the beach and find some.  The main reason is that the sun shines onto the beach from the water for most of the day and most trees are back from the beach. 

There are many photos of Princess Cays out there to see.  In them, you will no doubt see the overhead shade roofing supported by four corner vertical beams.  These structures provide shade if you are properly positioned under them.  There is one section of these overhead covers that works the best. 

The clamshells are pretty ineffective IMO since people tend to face the water and therefore the sun is going to be shining into the space for most of the day.  Also, they can get quite warm to hot.  You would want to see if you can lift the back for circulation and tilt the front edge forward to try and block more sun.  Either that or they need to be turned almost around backwards so you face away from the water.

Yes, it can be somewhat cool there in January (you did not indicate part of the month).  The ocean water tends to cool down then (it's still good in November).  Water temp can be personal preference.

4 hours ago, Scubadoc said:

We have never been to princess keys but it will be our first stop on our January cruise on the crown. Questions:

We are in a full suite. How do we access the priority tender perk? Tender tickets are usual;ly used only for a couple of hours when demand to go to shore is high. During this time, you can normally go to the tender loading area and get on the end of the line that is there. You may be asked to show your cruise card/Medallion to indicate you are in a full suite. This is the process for both full suite passengers and those who have Elite status in the loyalty program. If there are a large number of elites on the ship, instead of going directly to the tender area, you may need go to the venue where they are handing out the tender tickets. Full suite passengers and Elite passengers will go to a designated area in that venue and will be sent to the tender quicker than those without this status. Once demand has dropped, there will be an announcement that all passengers can go directly to the tender area as tickets will no longer be needed. Note that the tender perk is from ship to shore. No such perk for returning to the ship.

How is the shade situation? Is it worth the money to get a clamshell or can we find trees or something to give us shade? You will get different opinions about this. The earlier you go ashore, the better the opportunity to find a shaded area under a tree to claim. However, as the sun moves across the sky, the shade moves also. Some people really like the clamshell option and some say it is too stuffy in them. If you do decide to go the clamshell way, the earlier you go to shore, the better position you can pick a clamshell to use. They are not assigned when you reserve one, but are available on a first come/first picked basis.

What is the temperature normally like there in January? Seems to me that We had a very cold day once on a cruise in the Bahamas. Could be warm. Could be cool.

Thanks! 

10 hours ago, Scubadoc said:

We are in a full suite. How do we access the priority tender perk?

There will be instructions in the Princess Patter on where to report. It may be the same location as all others, or it may be a separate location. You show up at that location and a staff member will assign you to the next available tender out. Very easy.

How is the shade situation? Is it worth the money to get a clamshell or can we find trees or something to give us shade?

If you are one of the first on ashore to the left, by the bar and store, there are areas that are shady under palm trees. People get these early on. If you are late getting off the ship these areas will be filled. Areas directly next to the water are not shady. If you want to sit close to the water in the shade pre-reserve a clam shell. There are also some shade areas to the right over the bridge, but not as many.

Has anyone tried the surf fishing excursion? Do you actually catch anything? 

What is the temperature normally like there in January? Seems to me that We had a very cold day once on a cruise in the Bahamas.

Should be warm. Eleuthera Island is on the same latitude as the Florida Keys.

Thanks!

There is a gate at the rear of the property, behind the gift shop. When you exit the Princess property there are local vendors. If you wish to visit don't forget your Gov't issued ID. Cash is also accepted there. No cash in the Princess Cays area, only medallion/cruise cards. Drinks purchased on Princess Cays will have the local Bahamas VAT added.

Not visited in January, but would recommend taking water shoes if considering going into the sea..quite rocky. Have seen a post suggesting a rail out of the sea to be installed as some people find it difficult to walk from water to beach..we didn't find it too steep but there is a slight slope.

Souvenir plates/ T shirts etc .. quite expensive.  Charged via sea pass.

Didn't go to local merchants so can't comment.

6 hours ago, TNcrzr4life said:

Where are the wooden shade structures located? We haven’t been in many years and we are now shade slugs with water dips 😂

They have a few of them on both sides of the dock. They also removed many of the shaded areas a few years back to give the place a more open look but there are still a few natural shaded areas left if you get there early enough.

Plan on the sun moving as the day progresses.