Streaming Apple Music While Onboard - will it work via the ships internet?

I have a question re streaming Apple Music onboard (not to be confused with music that is already downloaded to the phone) - do you use Apple Music (iTunes?) streaming at al when onboard?

Basically I’ve just discovered "streaming" as opposed to downloading (I'm sure I'm not really the last person to discover streaming?) and enjoy being able to ask Siri to play whatever music I feel like listening too without having to purchase it in advance - Siri goes away and through my Apple Music subscription plays it - but typically I'm connected via a high speed connection

Will the ships internet connection be strong enough for that? That is assuming that the internet connection is working "normally" - if there is no connection at the time then there wont be any streaming. I expect it will work given the ships connection now supports Skype and FaceTime - but I'm looking to confirm that it will work with those with any experience with it onboard

Has anyone actually done this?

There's an alternative if it doesn't - I can just download a good selection in advance but I'd prefer to just be able to stream it on demand

and no Larry it won't work on a flip phone - but it does work on Android 🙂

It all depends where the ship is.   There are places where the internet connection is great and speeds are OK - nothing like a great connection ashore though.  There are other places where no connection or very slow.  It is getting better aboard ship but still can be very variable.  I wouldn't count on it if music all the time is important to you.  Again, it depends upon where your trip is taking you.  On our trip from Japan to San Francisco earlier this year there were probably 3 or 4 days with no internet and several others that were very, very slow.

Although some of us old people understand streaming since I bought all the music I really like 30 or more years ago I prefer my own rather than paying every year for a subscription.

Again,  I would think in many places it would be OK but not every place and every time.

7 hours ago, ctjon said:

.Although some of us old people understand streaming since I bought all the music I really like 30 or more years ago I prefer my own rather than paying every year for a subscription.

I’m well over moving my collection from my youth from Records to Cassettes to CDs then ripping them to Digital 

The freedom to simply summon up pretty much any music on demand is very compelling - and that’s why Apple Music and Spotify are booming 

I’m not currently paying for my subscription as my mobile carrier recently gave me a 12 month subscription bundled with my new iPhone - but when that expires we’ll definitely be moving to a Family subscription to Apple Music which I think provides great value compared to buying an “album” every month or two and even then only getting one artist 

I have to say there’s some great music coming out these days from new artists - many well worth exploring, consider if we’d stayed locked into our favourite artists of our youth - we’d be missing out on some great music - and with streaming subscriptions you just try it and if you don’t like it you can quickly move on to something new 

36 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I have to say there’s some great music coming out these days from new artists - many well worth exploring, consider if we’d stayed locked into our favourite artists of our youth - we’d be missing out on some great music - and with streaming subscriptions you just try it and if you don’t like it you can quickly move on to something new 

Absolutely.  There is so much new that is terrific and you are so right.  You stream it.  You like it great.  You don't you find something else.

Even if one pays as I do what I pay in one month is what one lp used to cost.  Here I can get access to tens of thousands of songs.  

What a difference to the old days when we purchased an LP and if we didn't like it, we were stuck with the LP.

Also these days it's no longer about a whole set of songs.  Many artists are now coming out with just one song at a time.

I spend a few hours each week listening to music to use when teaching indoor cycling.  So many new artists.  And I can find the songs from the 60's, 70s, 80, 90's and even more recent ones that have been redone with new artists and also ones more upbeat via remixes.  

I use iMusic (formally iTunes) and a more popular one which is Spotify.  

On a related note, Spotify is one of the platforms which can be used to download the new Crystal Cruise Podcasts.

Keith

Just now, LHT28 said:

So are the Crystal podcasts  just  talking or is there video ?

I am still trying to see where  the app is for desktops

That’s really a different topic - but there’s no App for desktops - you just go to the URL - the Crystal podcasts are audio only. They do publish videos from time to time which can be found on their You Tube channel - to which you can subscribe 

1 minute ago, Stickman1990 said:

That’s really a different topic - but there’s no App for desktops - you just go to the URL - the Crystal podcasts are audio only. They do publish videos from time to time which can be found on their You Tube channel - to which you can subscribe 

Thanks

Sorry to go off topic

22 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

On a related note, Spotify is one of the platforms which can be used to download the new Crystal Cruise Podcasts.

I also found the Crystal podcast listed in the Apple Podcasts App index today and have subscribed (it wasn’t there earlier this week)

1 minute ago, Stickman1990 said:

I also found the Crystal podcast listed in the Apple Podcasts App index today and have subscribed (it wasn’t there earlier this week)

Fantastic.  Yes, I hadn't seen it the other day which is why I went to Spotify.  I'll be sure to go over to the Apple Podcast App in a moment.

Keith