Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

 

Im writing to ask for clarification about the Star going into dry dock next April 2020. She was refurbished in December 2018. From comments on here, she is going into dry dock in April? I am considering one of the two 14 day British Isles sailings that she will be doing in May 2020. I am concerned about booking a cruise on Star given reports on here of ongoing issues with the ship. We do not plan to book the cruise this far in advance. We will just wait and see what happens so we can make a more informed decision. But I did want to write to get some clarification about the dry dock and to ask about what is known about plans to fix the cause of the ongoing issues, if they are indeed related. 

 

The itinerary looks great. Thats the only reason we are considering those 2 specific sailings. Its not about the ship, just the itinerary. Jade offers a very similar itinerary, just one port is different on her itinerary and a slightly shorter duration of stay for a couple of the ports so we are aware of that option. We have not done research about the Jade as a ship itself since Star has the itinerary we really want. But, I will start researching that ship as well so I can decide whether or not she is an option for us. 

 

Thanks!

Edited by blueslily
Link to post
Share on other sites

There are not “on going problems” with the ship. There was a problem with an engine a couple of weeks ago that is still waiting on parts for Repair. 
 

Like any system at runs 24/7/365, even well maintained systems will have mechanical issues periodically. And any time one of those failures impacts a cruise itinerary, it makes the news. 
 

Book your cruise, the itinerary is amazing!  Enjoy!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blueslily said:

Hello all,

 

Im writing to ask for clarification about the Star going into dry dock next April 2020. She was refurbished in December 2018. From comments on here, she is going into dry dock in April? I am considering one of the two 14 day British Isles sailings that she will be doing in May 2020. I am concerned about booking a cruise on Star given reports on here of ongoing issues with the ship. We do not plan to book the cruise this far in advance. We will just wait and see what happens so we can make a more informed decision. But I did want to write to get some clarification about the dry dock and to ask about what is known about plans to fix the cause of the ongoing issues, if they are indeed related. 

 

The itinerary looks great. Thats the only reason we are considering those 2 specific sailings. Its not about the ship, just the itinerary. Jade offers a very similar itinerary, just one port is different on her itinerary and a slightly shorter duration of stay for a couple of the ports so we are aware of that option. We have not done research about the Jade as a ship itself since Star has the itinerary we really want. But, I will start researching that ship as well so I can decide whether or not she is an option for us. 


Bluesilly...  
I’m quite interested where this info came from. If you go on to NCL to book a cruise on the Star in April, it is showing cruises available to book.  We are on the Jun 28th British Isle sailing.  

Edited by Mom2kmo
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like it arrives in port April 7th & the next cruise doesn’t leave until April 9th.  So maybe they plan on doing two full days of maintenance.  Not sure how much of a refurb they can do in two days.  But what do I know about refurbs!   

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

There are not “on going problems” with the ship. There was a problem with an engine a couple of weeks ago that is still waiting on parts for Repair. 
 

Like any system at runs 24/7/365, even well maintained systems will have mechanical issues periodically. And any time one of those failures impacts a cruise itinerary, it makes the news. 
 

Book your cruise, the itinerary is amazing!  Enjoy!  

 

Oh, there were no issues prior to two weeks ago? The postings on here seem to indicate ongoing episodes of mechanical issues for the Star? Are people just overreacting or misreporting info about the ship? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Mom2kmo said:

Looks like it arrives in port April 7th & the next cruise doesn’t leave until April 9th.  So maybe they plan on doing two full days of maintenance.  Not sure how much of a refurb they can do in two days.  But what do I know about 

 

I am not sure. Thats why I posted my question. We have plenty time to book so I will give ourselves the opportunity to clarify some info before booking. Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish the Star mechanical issues were solved, but they appear to be long term.  I just got this email from my travel agent for my cruise leaving in almost 30 days:

 

We have JUST received an important Updated Itinerary Notification regarding your Norwegian Star’s

14-Day South America sailing scheduled to depart on Dec 21st, 2019 from San Antonio, Chile. Port>. 

The revised itinerary information from your cruise line can be found below:

 

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding

Norwegian Star's 14-Day South America Explorer from San Antonio,

Chile on December 21, 2019.

 

Norwegian Star has experienced mechanical issues resulting in a

revised itinerary on your upcoming sailing December 21, 2019.

While we regret this change, we assure you that we have made

this difficult decision with your safety and wellbeing in mind.

 

Please review the revised itinerary information below:

Day  Port

00 San Antonio (Chile)    D/7:00 PM

01 At Sea    

02 Puerto Montt 7:00 AM/5:00 PM

03 Puerto Chacabuco 11:00 AM/5:00 PM

04 Cruising Patagonic Channel    

04 Cruising Chilean Fjords    

05 Cruising Strait of Magellan    

06 Punta Arenas Chile 6:00 AM 6:00 PM

07 Cruising Beagle Channel    

07 Ushuaia 12:30 PM/8:30 PM

08 Cruising Cape Horn    

09 Port Stanley 9:00 AM/5:00 PM

10 At Sea    

11 Puerto Madryn 7:00 AM/4:00 PM

12 At Sea    

13 Montevideo 11:00 AM/5:00 PM

14 Buenos Aires A/5:30 AM  

 

If you booked shore excursions through Norwegian Cruise Line

for any of the other affected ports of call on the original itinerary,

they will be automatically adjusted to the new arrival and departure times.

 

Thank you for your understanding and we look forward

to welcoming you aboard.

***Please continue to monitor the cruise lines website as itineraries may change.***

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mom2kmo said:

Looks like it arrives in port April 7th & the next cruise doesn’t leave until April 9th.  So maybe they plan on doing two full days of maintenance.  Not sure how much of a refurb they can do in two days.  But what do I know about refurbs!   

 

The ship is sailing empty (i.e. no passengers as they are not allowed) from Port Canaveral to Brooklyn NY on April 7-9 2020.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, saliusm said:

I wish the Star mechanical issues were solved, but they appear to be long term.  I just got this email from my travel agent for my cruise leaving in almost 30 days:

 

We have JUST received an important Updated Itinerary Notification regarding your Norwegian Star’s

14-Day South America sailing scheduled to depart on Dec 21st, 2019 from San Antonio, Chile. Port>. 

The revised itinerary information from your cruise line can be found below:

 

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding

Norwegian Star's 14-Day South America Explorer from San Antonio,

Chile on December 21, 2019.

 

Norwegian Star has experienced mechanical issues resulting in a

revised itinerary on your upcoming sailing December 21, 2019.

While we regret this change, we assure you that we have made

this difficult decision with your safety and wellbeing in mind.

 

Please review the revised itinerary information below:

Day  Port

00 San Antonio (Chile)    D/7:00 PM

01 At Sea    

02 Puerto Montt 7:00 AM/5:00 PM

03 Puerto Chacabuco 11:00 AM/5:00 PM

04 Cruising Patagonic Channel    

04 Cruising Chilean Fjords    

05 Cruising Strait of Magellan    

06 Punta Arenas Chile 6:00 AM 6:00 PM

07 Cruising Beagle Channel    

07 Ushuaia 12:30 PM/8:30 PM

08 Cruising Cape Horn    

09 Port Stanley 9:00 AM/5:00 PM

10 At Sea    

11 Puerto Madryn 7:00 AM/4:00 PM

12 At Sea    

13 Montevideo 11:00 AM/5:00 PM

14 Buenos Aires A/5:30 AM  

 

If you booked shore excursions through Norwegian Cruise Line

for any of the other affected ports of call on the original itinerary,

they will be automatically adjusted to the new arrival and departure times.

 

Thank you for your understanding and we look forward

to welcoming you aboard.

***Please continue to monitor the cruise lines website as itineraries may change.***

 

What was the original itinerary? Please can you put it here so I can see the difference. Thanks!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

 

What was the original itinerary? Please can you put it here so I can see the difference. Thanks!

 

The changes (so far) are relatively small - an hour here or there - but I believe it's significant for them to admit there is a mechanical problem with the ship that won't be fixed 4 weeks from now.

 

Here is an attempt at side by side:

 

Original       Updated
Day Port Arrival Departure Day  Port
0  San Antonio (Chile)   5:00 PM     D/7:00 PM
1  At Sea     01 At Sea    
2  Puerto Montt 8:00 AM 6:00 PM 7:00 AM/5:00 PM
3  Puerto Chacabuco 10:00 AM 5:00 PM  11:00 AM/5:00 PM
4  Cruising Patagonic Channel     04 Cruising Patagonic Channel    
4  Cruising Chilean Fjords     04 Cruising Chilean Fjords    
5  Cruising Strait of Magellan     05 Cruising Strait of Magellan    
6  Punta Arenas Chile 6:00 AM 6:00 PM  6:00 AM 6:00 PM
7  Cruising Beagle Channel     07 Cruising Beagle Channel    
7  Ushuaia 12:00 PM 8:00 PM  12:30 PM/8:30 PM
8  Cruising Cape Horn     08 Cruising Cape Horn    
9  Port Stanley 9:00 AM 5:00 PM 9:00 AM/5:00 PM
10  At Sea     10 At Sea    
11  Puerto Madryn 7:00 AM 4:00 PM  7:00 AM/4:00 PM
12  At Sea     12 At Sea    
13  Montevideo 9:00 AM 5:00 PM  11:00 AM/5:00 PM
14  Buenos Aires 5:30 AM    A/5:30 AM  
Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a post saying at the beginning of the last cruise, 8 mechanics from the engine manufacturing company boarded the ship to fix the mechanical problem.  There was another post that  they were going 18 knots about a week into that sailing.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks saliusm. Not much difference.

 

If you have a chance/some time, please read my review of our South America cruise taken during the holiday period 2009/10. It might help you in deciding what to do in each of the ports of call. We had a great time.

 

The link is in my signature.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mom2kmo said:

There was a post saying at the beginning of the last cruise, 8 mechanics from the engine manufacturing company boarded the ship to fix the mechanical problem.  There was another post that  they were going 18 knots about a week into that sailing.  

There were 8 representatives from the manufacturer on board. There has been no assertion that they could “fix” the problem. They could be on board to assess the engine and the repairs required. They could be onboard to prepare the ship for major work. 
 

The ship was doing 18 knots the day after the fire. Nothing has changed there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

There were 8 representatives from the manufacturer on board. There has been no assertion that they could “fix” the problem. They could be on board to assess the engine and the repairs required. They could be onboard to prepare the ship for major work. 
 

The ship was doing 18 knots the day after the fire. Nothing has changed there. 

Or they could have worked on it, you don’t know!   

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

 

What was the original itinerary? Please can you put it here so I can see the difference. Thanks!

 

Probably still on the website.  When they changed the prior itinerary from Miami they were still selling cruises with the old itinerary still listed.  Shocking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mugtech said:

Probably still on the website.  When they changed the prior itinerary from Miami they were still selling cruises with the old itinerary still listed.  Shocking.

 

Nope, the new itinerary is there … that was why I asked to see the original itinerary. 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to say if the current issues are the same or different but the Star had major and extended azipod issues in 2017. Only properly-trained engineers with access to all the data could say if this is an ongoing issue or unrelated events. I will say, and it's cold comfort to those affected, NCL is certainly not planning these problems nor is fixing complex engineering issues simple or quick, especially if new parts need to be manufactured, delivered and installed all while trying to maintain some sort of schedule.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2019 at 11:11 AM, bluesea777 said:

 

The ship is sailing empty (i.e. no passengers as they are not allowed) from Port Canaveral to Brooklyn NY on April 7-9 2020.

 

 

It leaves Brooklyn on 04/19 for a TA that I am booked on,. I believe when it gets to NY it sails to the Bahamas I think then heads back to Brooklyn for the TA. I do get concerned reading the posts and going on a TA.

 

Edited by njkate
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Toesinthewater728 said:

I was considering a 9 day trip on the star in March of 2020. With this information one mind, what would you do? (We are pretty laid back and a change in itinerary won’t make or break our trip). 

Book as quickly as possible so you can get the particular cabin you would like or if the current promotion is something you want.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cdnsteelman said:

t's hard to say if the current issues are the same or different but the Star had major and extended azipod issues in 2017. Only properly-trained engineers with access to all the data could say if this is an ongoing issue or unrelated events. I will say, and it's cold comfort to those affected, NCL is certainly not planning these problems nor is fixing complex engineering issues simple or quick, especially if new parts need to be manufactured, delivered and installed all while trying to maintain some sort of schedule.

 

While you are right that we can't draw an firm conclusion, several passengers have said that they were made aware of a problem with one of the diesel engines, not the azipods.  Given that the Star is currently making around 18 knots, that seems more likely than an azipod being inoperative.  

 

Regardless of the cause, I do agree that trying to get a (likely large, expensive, and not-in-stock) part delivered and installed while minimizing customer impact is a balancing act.  

 

And the possibility of a propulsion problem is there on all ships run by all lines, and they all face the same challenges!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Toesinthewater728 said:

I was considering a 9 day trip on the star in March of 2020. With this information one mind, what would you do? (We are pretty laid back and a change in itinerary won’t make or break our trip). 

Pick a better ship to do the ABC islands.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...