Carnival vs Royal Caribbean

33 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

depending on the layout and the flow of the ship I'm sure it'll be a big hit.

Deck plans are already released. It's just more of the same.  Honestly nothing to look forward to.  We will have to wait much longer for Carnival to make a legitimate attempt at competing with the Royal big ships.

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I know it's shocking, but people cruise for different reasons.  Some people would rather cruise on a ship with less passengers and they aren't looking for amusement park type of entertainment.  Not everyone cruises for elaborate theater shows.  Personally, I have been to enough amusement parks and water parks to last a life time.  So, those types of things hold no appeal whatsoever to me.  

If Carnival's ships meet the needs and preferences of some people, it doesn't mean they are lying when they say they are fine with smaller ships.  The Oasis type ships are not for everyone.  They are definitely impressive and have many wonderful things to offer, but many of those things may not be what some people are looking for in a cruise.  Not everybody needs the constant entertainment.

Well said

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soremekun said:

To date: there is nothing Carnival has that compares with Royal Caribbean's Oasis and Quantum class ships.

I agree. But, I personally, am not looking for anything that compares with Royal Caribbeans' Oasis and Quantum class ships. If I had alot of money, I probably would cruise on one of the larger, newer Carnival ships in one of the "Havana" cabins. [or is that Haven?] But that is not the case for me.

For me though, where I am in life [ early winter] the Dream class ships on Carnival take care of all my "sweet spots", with so many wonderful aspects that I do not think I could ever experience on one of the bigger ships. 

I LOVE line dancing on the deck with a thousand other people, and from what I can see it almost seems that the bigger the ship, the less deck room to do this. On my cruise earlier this month, I didn't win the "how many ping pong balls can you stuff in your bathing suit" contest, but I love my "participation" medal that I received. I'm not sure that it would be so easy to be one of the participants on an Oasis or Quantum [or Mardi Gras} ship.

I know that I would be saying "wow!" quite often on one of RCCLs' huge ships, but when I wanted to just super relax and feel as one with the ocean,[ that is a different type of "Wow!] I love having a promenade deck that covers the perimeter of the ship. I love that there are tons of private little spots with loungers and chairs througout that area.   I love that the aft, deck 5 of the Breeze has an area [and hot tub] filled with incredible loungers and "beds" that practically no one else goes to. And I love that there is not one, but 2 libraries to relax in.

I don't think I would enjoy being on a cruise ship so large that I would have to make an appointment to see a show, because when I am on a cruise the only thing I like to schedule is getting on the ship as early as possible on embarkation day. 

Another thing, food. When I see someone walking by with a plate filled with "delicousness," I know, that unless it's sushi or seafood, that I can find the same thing at no extra cost, somewhere on the ship. 

Lastly, I hope that Carnival stops trying to compete with ships that are reminisent  of a cramped, fancy mall/ amusement park.  Some of us love the Carnival "feel". I've  looked at videos of the new Mardi Gras. I haven't looked at the deck plans yet. I know there is going to be a roller coaster on it, and that could be nice, but I hope that the extra "thrills" will not take up too much of the spaces that make a cruise an awesome ocean experience.

I have no umbrage with people who are looking for an amusement park at sea, to each his own. I do have a problem with people who makes comments, such as yours, that imply that because Carnival contains less mall/amusement park options, that they are inferior. Look at Crystal Cruises and Seabourne. Much pricier cruises than either Carnival or RCCL, and they are not filled with "novelty" attractions. Surely you are not implying they are inferior? 

OP...Sounds like you haven't tried any RC ship with the ice rink -- voyager, freedom, and oasis class. The ice show is fabulous. Plus, Cafe Promenade (free) is open just about 24 hours (close for a half hour or so in the wee morning for cleaning) -- A previous poster said they could not find free food late at night. Sorrentos pizza (also free) is also open until 2am or so, on ships that have it (freedom and oasis for sure). Room service has a fee, but I think Carnival does also now.

Carnival does have Guys burgers, Mongolian grill, and made-to-order sandwiches, but these lines move very slow. My last Carnival was the Conquest. I was 4th in line at the Mongolian grill and it took 15 minutes before I had my food.

Dining room:  Carnival = neon lights; RC = chandeliers, especially on larger ships like voyager and freedom. I don't know about oasis and other RC large ships but these probably have elegant dining rooms also.

Music: RC had 23 musicians on my last cruise (Liberty of the seas, Halloween 2019) -- a 4-piece dance band, 3-piece salsa band, 4-piece pool band, piano bar, classical guitarist, pub singer/guitarist, and 9-piece ships orchestra. The Carnival Conquest (my last Carnival cruise) had maybe 12 -- 5 piece ships band, 3-piece dance trio, piano bar, 2-piece pool band, and maybe a couple of more but I can't remember so it might be only 10. I've heard Carnival has done away the pool band and uses a DJ.

Carnival cabins are bigger, but for me does not hold as much as RC.

I really like RC voyager and freedom class ships much more than any Carnival I've done.

Edited by Jimnbigd
  • Like 1

We here in Australia have had RCL's Radience (1 cruise) & CCL Spirit (9 cruises); based here for the last 7 years. (Radience only stays for 7 months). 

I found the Carnival passengers much more friendly & out going. They say Hi or how's your cruise in Elevators. Not keeping to themselves..

The layout of The Spirit class, is by far the best with CCL. They have the biggest Passenger to space ration of the major cruise lines. Having Serenity (adults retreat) at the back out of the wind. Easy to get around on the ship.

Plus I found no real difference in Food. Yes Windjamer was a better buffet. But Carnival I don't have the Buffet. I'll get guys burgers or cantina...

In the entertainment, All i can say is "The Punchliner"; love the Comedy club.  It's great

I hope you enjoy your Spirit cruise with Eli The CD(he's a KIWI - New Zealander)..

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vicky3vicky said:

I agree. But, I personally, am not looking for anything that compares with Royal Caribbeans' Oasis and Quantum class ships. If I had alot of money, I probably would cruise on one of the larger, newer Carnival ships in one of the "Havana" cabins. [or is that Haven?] But that is not the case for me.

For me though, where I am in life [ early winter] the Dream class ships on Carnival take care of all my "sweet spots", with so many wonderful aspects that I do not think I could ever experience on one of the bigger ships. 

I LOVE line dancing on the deck with a thousand other people, and from what I can see it almost seems that the bigger the ship, the less deck room to do this. On my cruise earlier this month, I didn't win the "how many ping pong balls can you stuff in your bathing suit" contest, but I love my "participation" medal that I received. I'm not sure that it would be so easy to be one of the participants on an Oasis or Quantum [or Mardi Gras} ship.

I know that I would be saying "wow!" quite often on one of RCCLs' huge ships, but when I wanted to just super relax and feel as one with the ocean,[ that is a different type of "Wow!] I love having a promenade deck that covers the perimeter of the ship. I love that there are tons of private little spots with loungers and chairs througout that area.   I love that the aft, deck 5 of the Breeze has an area [and hot tub] filled with incredible loungers and "beds" that practically no one else goes to. And I love that there is not one, but 2 libraries to relax in.

I don't think I would enjoy being on a cruise ship so large that I would have to make an appointment to see a show, because when I am on a cruise the only thing I like to schedule is getting on the ship as early as possible on embarkation day. 

Another thing, food. When I see someone walking by with a plate filled with "delicousness," I know, that unless it's sushi or seafood, that I can find the same thing at no extra cost, somewhere on the ship. 

Lastly, I hope that Carnival stops trying to compete with ships that are reminisent  of a cramped, fancy mall/ amusement park.  Some of us love the Carnival "feel". I've  looked at videos of the new Mardi Gras. I haven't looked at the deck plans yet. I know there is going to be a roller coaster on it, and that could be nice, but I hope that the extra "thrills" will not take up too much of the spaces that make a cruise an awesome ocean experience.

I have no umbrage with people who are looking for an amusement park at sea, to each his own. I do have a problem with people who makes comments, such as yours, that imply that because Carnival contains less mall/amusement park options, that they are inferior. Look at Crystal Cruises and Seabourne. Much pricier cruises than either Carnival or RCCL, and they are not filled with "novelty" attractions. Surely you are not implying they are inferior? 

The difference with Seabourn is that they aren't trying to compete with Royal.  Carnival is absolutely trying to build amusement parks at sea and just isn't as good as Royal at it.

Your comments and concerns about the big Royal ships only reinforce how obvious it is that you have never been on them.  They have tons more space, far less cramped, you can participate in all those activities you like, and they have way more complimentary dining venues spread all over the ship than Dream class, that's for sure.  Plus there is plenty of spaces to relax and watch the ocean go by.  Reservations are also not required for shows, but it sure beats lining up for Punchliner on Magic for an hour, in a massive line that wraps down the cramped promenade deck, only to fight for a space to watch the show. Lol.  Gosh, being able to just walk in 15 min prior to show start and get a premium seat is just awful....

• Like 2

Reading all the comments here makes me realize how different opinions and perceptions of the same exact product can vary from person to person. I’m reading some comments thinking “Huh?!?!”. Completely different than mine. And while it’s good to read what others have to say, some comments and reviews truly mean nothing. For example, these days I’m loving MSC more than Royal and Carnival even though it consistently gets polarizing and negative reviews, but it’s what currently works for me. Go figure. 

One thing that has been mentioned is that, instead of comparing cruise lines, it’s better to compare individual ships, and even ports of embarkation and itineraries. I agree with this. You can’t compare Symphony of the Seas (Royal’s newest and largest) with Carnival Fantasy (Carnival’s oldest and smallest). And even then, some people would still prefer Carnival Fantasy (at least based on some love fest threads that I’ve read here). Our last Carnival Cruise was on the Fantasy, and after experiencing the general condition of that ship, we decided that we will not sail on this ship again, although we’ll be open to sailing on newer and larger Carnival

ships in the future. (The shirtless, drunk tailgating passengers on lawn chairs with coolers, waiting outside of the cruise terminal in Mobile, banging on our car as we exited, also contributed to that decision). 😂

OP: Best way to known if Carnival is for you is to try it for yourself! Have a great cruise! 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2

I have been on numerous cruises with both Royal Caribbean and Carnival (8 and 20 respectively) and find both of them to have way more similarities than differences.  I was truly amazed by the Allure of the Seas, however, based on features such as the aft pool and Alchemy Bar, I find that the Carnival Dream is my favorite ship.  So much so that on my upcoming back-to-back in January, I am driving 6 hours to Galveston, rather than 45 minutes to Mobile or 1:20 to New Orleans just to be on the Dream.

In the end, I would never hesitate to book a cruise on either line as they are both great choices for mass market cruises.  Everyone has their opinions, which mostly make sense based on my experience, however, in the end, you are the one who must be happy.

Good luck!

Brad

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Reading all the comments here makes me realize how different opinions and perceptions of the same exact product can vary from person to person. I’m reading some comments thinking “Huh?!?!”. Completely different than mine. And while it’s good to read what others have to say, some comments and reviews truly mean nothing. For example, these days I’m loving MSC more than Royal and Carnival even though it consistently gets polarizing and negative reviews, but it’s what currently works for me. Go figure. 

One thing that has been mentioned is that, instead of comparing cruise lines, it’s better to compare individual ships, and even ports of embarkation and itineraries. I agree with this. You can’t compare Symphony of the Seas (Royal’s newest and largest) with Carnival Fantasy (Carnival’s oldest and smallest). And even then, some people would still prefer Carnival Fantasy (at least based on some love fest threads that I’ve read here). Our last Carnival Cruise was on the Fantasy, and after experiencing the general condition of that ship, we decided that we will not sail on this ship again, although we’ll be open to sailing on newer and larger Carnival

ships in the future. (The shirtless, drunk tailgating passengers on lawn chairs with coolers, waiting outside of the cruise terminal in Mobile, banging on our car as we exited, also contributed to that decision). 😂

OP: Best way to known if Carnival is for you is to try it for yourself! Have a great cruise! 

I think my concern is when people make false claims.  We sailed Magic a few months ago and had a perfectly nice time.  But I'm not going to pretend its a superior ship to Symphony and I'm not going to make ridiculous claims that Magic is less crowded and has less lines, either.  The issue is people write about the preferences and spout off really bad information to support them.  It's much better if we are accurate in our descriptions.

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

The difference with Seabourn is that they aren't trying to compete with Royal.  Carnival is absolutely trying to build amusement parks at sea and just isn't as good as Royal at it.

Your comments and concerns about the big Royal ships only reinforce how obvious it is that you have never been on them.  They have tons more space, far less cramped, you can participate in all those activities you like, and they have way more complimentary dining venues spread all over the ship than Dream class, that's for sure.  Plus there is plenty of spaces to relax and watch the ocean go by.  Reservations are also not required for shows, but it sure beats lining up for Punchliner on Magic for an hour, in a massive line that wraps down the cramped promenade deck, only to fight for a space to watch the show. Lol.  Gosh, being able to just walk in 15 min prior to show start and get a premium seat is just awful....

Yet you are here

22 minutes ago, BNBR said:

I think my concern is when people make false claims.  We sailed Magic a few months ago and had a perfectly nice time.  But I'm not going to pretend its a superior ship to Symphony and I'm not going to make ridiculous claims that Magic is less crowded and has less lines, either.  The issue is people write about the preferences and spout off really bad information to support them.  It's much better if we are accurate in our descriptions.

Are you the royal facts checker?  Let it go, move on.

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

LOL. Except when you call me a cheerleader. Nice retort tho....

But you are, lol.  "Thank God we don't get the big ships like Quantum"....  "Can't wait to see Mardi gras (same size as quantum)"

13 minutes ago, BNBR said:

But you are, lol.  "Thank God we don't get the big ships like Quantum"....  "Can't wait to see Mardi gras (same size as quantum)"

Its ok, what I want is good, what you want is good,  We actually do not have to agree or get into name calling.  Why must you compare everything to a Royal ship like it is the end all?  I have sailed Oasis and been on Anthem, they are nice ships but it really, honestly did little for us.  All that free space junk meant nothing to us.  The cruise experience was a fraction of what WE like.  I do not go over on Royal boards and throw that around (I did do a review of our Oasis cruise and post in on both threads).  You take personal affront that someone who sailed on the Magic liked it.

Come on the Mardi Gras on one of our sailings, I will buy you a drink and we can discuss.

Edited by jimbo5544

OP again.

On 11/24/2019 at 3:55 AM, kctwinmommy said:

I wrote this up a little while ago, and just went through the pros & cons we found when we did RCI after having been on Carnival a few times. It may just give you some insight.

Thank you for this- it was a good read and very helpful.

8 hours ago, Jimnbigd said:

OP...Sounds like you haven't tried any RC ship with the ice rink -- voyager, freedom, and oasis class. The ice show is fabulous.

Music: RC had 23 musicians on my last cruise (Liberty of the seas, Halloween 2019) -- a 4-piece dance band, 3-piece salsa band, 4-piece pool band, piano bar, classical guitarist, pub singer/guitarist, and 9-piece ships orchestra. The Carnival Conquest (my last Carnival cruise) had maybe 12 -- 5 piece ships band, 3-piece dance trio, piano bar, 2-piece pool band, and maybe a couple of more but I can't remember so it might be only 10. I've heard Carnival has done away the pool band and uses a DJ

I have cruised on Mariner and did thoroughly enjoy the ice show!

I grew up learning and playing the Piano, Harp and Pipe Organ so music is very, very important to me. Thanks for this info.

14 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

does nobody who cruises Carnival like large ships?

In my opinion, the back and forth banter between Royal and Carnival loyalists about ship size is stupid. Carnival was the first to come up with a ship that was 100,000 tons (Destiny), and Royal loyalists mocked it, saying that it was a monstrosity. Then Royal came up with Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class, and Carnival and it’s followers said that THOSE were amusement park monstrosities, and that they would NEVER sail on anything like that. But here comes Mardi Gras with a roller coaster and all sorts of amusement park gimmicks, and the same people who said “never” are the first ones lined up to sail on her. Go figure. There has to be a market for these enormous ships when, not only Carnival and Royal, but other mainstream cruise lines are building them. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tapi said:

In my opinion, the back and forth banter between Royal and Carnival loyalists about ship size is stupid. Carnival was the first to come up with a ship that was 100,000 tons (Destiny), and Royal loyalists mocked it, saying that it was a monstrosity. Then Royal came up with Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class, and Carnival and it’s followers said that THOSE were amusement park monstrosities, and that they would NEVER sail on anything like that. But here comes Mardi Gras with a roller coaster and all sorts of amusement park gimmicks, and the same people who said “never” are the first ones lined up to sail on her. Go figure. There has to be a market for these enormous ships when, not only Carnival and Royal, but other mainstream cruise lines are building them. 

There is little doubt that cruising is constantly evolving, it was not so long a go that Micky said that Carnival would never play in the Mega liner game.  After years of watching they really had no choice but to compete at some level.  When cruise ships cost a billion plus, there is only one thing certain, cruisers will have to pay for them.  

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Jimnbigd said:

OP...Sounds like you haven't tried any RC ship with the ice rink -- voyager, freedom, and oasis class. The ice show is fabulous. Plus, Cafe Promenade (free) is open just about 24 hours (close for a half hour or so in the wee morning for cleaning) -- A previous poster said they could not find free food late at night. Sorrentos pizza (also free) is also open until 2am or so, on ships that have it (freedom and oasis for sure). Room service has a fee, but I think Carnival does also now.

Carnival does have Guys burgers, Mongolian grill, and made-to-order sandwiches, but these lines move very slow. My last Carnival was the Conquest. I was 4th in line at the Mongolian grill and it took 15 minutes before I had my food.

Dining room:  Carnival = neon lights; RC = chandeliers, especially on larger ships like voyager and freedom. I don't know about oasis and other RC large ships but these probably have elegant dining rooms also.

Music: RC had 23 musicians on my last cruise (Liberty of the seas, Halloween 2019) -- a 4-piece dance band, 3-piece salsa band, 4-piece pool band, piano bar, classical guitarist, pub singer/guitarist, and 9-piece ships orchestra. The Carnival Conquest (my last Carnival cruise) had maybe 12 -- 5 piece ships band, 3-piece dance trio, piano bar, 2-piece pool band, and maybe a couple of more but I can't remember so it might be only 10. I've heard Carnival has done away the pool band and uses a DJ.

Carnival cabins are bigger, but for me does not hold as much as RC.

I really like RC voyager and freedom class ships much more than any Carnival I've done.

If Conquest 8 years ago was your most recent Carnival cruise, then your experience is very outdated to make a comparison. Guy's Burgers wasn't even on any ship at that time (so not sure how you experienced that), and nearly every ship has since gone through major refits with the Funship 2.0 amenities. Newer ships (especially from Breeze onward) have left behind the Joe Farcus era of gaudy design to a much more contemporary style, and as older ships go through major upgrades / re-names (Sunshine, Sunrise and soon, Radiance), the neon gaudiness is no more.

OP, the Spirit class ships -- while older and smaller -- have a great ship layout unlike any other class of Carnival ships.  Like others have stated, probably the highest deck space : passenger ratio of any mass market cruise ship.  It has a high ratio of balcony staterooms vs. other categories. I think you'll be very happy with Spirit. 

Edited by CanTex
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 2:06 PM, BNBR said:

I hear ya about the lines.  How would you compare the line for ice skating and flowrider on your Carnival sailings?  Were they much shorter and quicker than on Royal?

Carnival does not have ice skating or flowrider. Their "exclusive" activities - primarily the skyride on Vista and Horizon, had similar lines of between 45 and 60 minutes. Ropes course was much shorter, and the IMAX and THRILL theaters never sold out. I also never had an issue finding a seat for any of the shows, except perhaps the comedy shows, but that isn't an issue so long as you arrive at least 20 minutes prior to show time, and also varies by sailing and the size of the ship.