Jump to content

Carnival Magic - LIVE - Dec 1-6 - FLL - Nassau, Grand Turk, Amber Cove


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I needed something to weigh my suitcase. Sometimes Amazon has these digital coupons where you put something in your cart, click a coupon checkbox, and boom you get the discount. This doohickey was $10 with a $3 discount in the cart so I got it for $7. Digital ones were $10 but then you have to worry about batteries and all that. 
 

 

1F20BDDE-AD99-4502-BC84-3A6288331921.jpeg

Hey, I like that better than mine! Mine has batteries, and if they don’t sit just right in the suitcase, I have to readjust the position of batteries, which are these little round disks. I may order that one! Thanks! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

As I mentioned I’ve been traveling with a 30 inch suitcase and a 19 inch backpack. There are things in both of them I know I’m not going to use. I bet I have fun times from my  last 5 cruises in my suitcase.

 

I bring things like an umbrella and a jacket. I think I’ve used each of them once when it was raining on a Port day..several years ago. 
 

I bring a lot of just in case things. Just in case I decide I want to go to the gym everyday of the cruise, I’ve been bringing clothes for that. And the only time I’ve been to the gym was to get a fitness class schedule for one of you.

 

Since I’m flying this time, I decided to go to a

smaller suitcase and a smaller backpack. I couldn’t decide if I wanted to go down to a 21 or 25 inch suitcase. I started pricing them about six months back. But when I found this 21 incher on clearance for $48 when I’ve seen similar suitcases $70-75, my decision was made.

 

 

 

21113EB8-E06C-408A-BD92-C5035547D6EC.jpeg

1CC4B98F-D042-4552-AC4C-30BD4F2E27DD.jpeg

I, too, am a “just in case” person, and that is why I bring so much, as well. It has served me well over the years, with unexpected illnesses and weather. Lol! I even brought a six pack of pedialyte one year on a family cruise, and wouldn’t you know, two grandchildren DID become ill, and required it. Call me the crazy overpacked lady, but if you travel with me and are in need of something, I usually have it! Lol!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I, too, am a “just in case” person, and that is why I bring so much, as well. It has served me well over the years, with unexpected illnesses and weather. Lol! I even brought a six pack of pedialyte one year on a family cruise, and wouldn’t you know, two grandchildren DID become ill, and required it. Call me the crazy overpacked lady, but if you travel with me and are in need of something, I usually have it! Lol!

 

This sounds just like my wife. "Better to be safe then sorry",  gotta hear that everytime. 😃

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I, too, am a “just in case” person, and that is why I bring so much, as well. It has served me well over the years, with unexpected illnesses and weather. Lol! I even brought a six pack of pedialyte one year on a family cruise, and wouldn’t you know, two grandchildren DID become ill, and required it. Call me the crazy overpacked lady, but if you travel with me and are in need of something, I usually have it! Lol!

Fellow grandma here! My hubby always makes fun of my lists and overpacking, yet not one trip in over 30 years has he failed to say 'oh gee I wish I'd brought....' only to have me produce it! It's definitely a challenge for me when I fly!

 

Greg- as for the actual flying part, I always pack small snacks in my carry-on, and I have a refillable insulated water bottle that I fill in the airport. As others have said, be prepared to take your shoes off, and if it bothers you, have a disposable pair of socks with you to wear through security.

 

I agree that the walk from your hotel to K-Mart is not excessive, and there is a pedestrian walkway under I-95. I'd only buy enough to do you for your cruise though or you'll have the opposite problem on the other end of your trip.

 

Speaking of return trips, don't forget to leave room for souvenirs and other items in your suitcase. One thing I always bring is a cloth shopping bag, since it can hold a bunch of overflow if needed, and it takes up almost zero space in your luggage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bluesman0711 said:

I like the planning part of a cruise and use a checklist to make sure everything we need is packed. Some things never get used but living in Florida means we can over pack!

 

That's how I am when I'm out of Galveston or New Orleans. If I can fit it in the suitcase or backpack it can come with me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually do have a packing list I created before my first cruise. It's on a notepad document on my phone. I put an x next to the item when I have it in my possession, then a y next to it after it's actually in the suitcase.

 

I added the y after my 2016 Triumph cruise. It was my fourth cruise and I hadn't committed to purchasing luggage yet. I was still using a large duffel bag...A very large duffel bag. I mentioned before how the porter usually grunts when he loads my stuff...well this time he picked up my bag and said "Is this all you're bringing?" I thought it felt a little light myself.

 

I don't like my stuff getting wrinkled. So what I would do is leave out those clothes until the last minute then throw them in the bag. Well I did that but this time I forgot to put the clothes in my bag before I left. It turns out that all I had in my bag as far as clothing is concerned was T-shirts, shorts, and unmentionables. 

 

At this point I hadn't been in the MDR yet. But I was ready to try it. That pretty much pushed it back from that cruise for me. I did try clothing shopping in Mexico which proved to be more difficult than I anticipated.

 

The next cruise I said "Okay I'm going to wait until I pack the items before I put the X next to them." The problem there was I kept forgetting what I had bought. I ended up with five bottles of soft soap. So I went to the x when I had the item and a y when it was packed.

 

But now I've done this so many times..I've pretty much got it down. I'll give my list a once over tonight to make sure I have everything I need. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Saint Greg said:

I actually do have a packing list I created before my first cruise. It's on a notepad document on my phone. I put an x next to the item when I have it in my possession, then a y next to it after it's actually in the suitcase.

 

I added the y after my 2016 Triumph cruise. It was my fourth cruise and I hadn't committed to purchasing luggage yet. I was still using a large duffel bag...A very large duffel bag. I mentioned before how the porter usually grunts when he loads my stuff...well this time he picked up my bag and said "Is this all you're bringing?" I thought it felt a little light myself.

 

I don't like my stuff getting wrinkled. So what I would do is leave out those clothes until the last minute then throw them in the bag. Well I did that but this time I forgot to put the clothes in my bag before I left. It turns out that all I had in my bag as far as clothing is concerned was T-shirts, shorts, and unmentionables. 

 

At this point I hadn't been in the MDR yet. But I was ready to try it. That pretty much pushed it back from that cruise for me. I did try clothing shopping in Mexico which proved to be more difficult than I anticipated.

 

The next cruise I said "Okay I'm going to wait until I pack the items before I put the X next to them." The problem there was I kept forgetting what I had bought. I ended up with five bottles of soft soap. So I went to the x when I had the item and a y when it was packed.

 

But now I've done this so many times..I've pretty much got it down. I'll give my list a once over tonight to make sure I have everything I need. 

 

Greg- I'm the same with my list- it has 2 columns, the second one indicates I actually laid eyes on it and packed it in the suitcase! One cruise I was sure I'd packed pajamas.... nope! I had to sleep in one of my hubby's t-shirts. Another time all my 'unmentionables' somehow ended up in my overnight bag used for the pre-cruise hotel and was left in our car... I did a lot of handwashing on that 7-day cruise!

 

I revised my cruiselist and now I unpack and check off everything before I repack the night before so I have everything we need and avoid duplicates. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I stopped by the post office this morning to put my mail hold on. I'll submit it online as well. I've had so many problems with my mail man. I think I mentioned it last time. I've had him hold it. I've had him not hold it. I've had him hold some of it. I've had him on the end of the hold deliver a bundle of someone else's mail. I have it set for me to pickup the accumulated mail so hopefully I don't have to worry about him delivering my mail to someone else. They got it right last time so hopefully we can make it two in a row.

 

 

Edited by Saint Greg
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I'm wondering how you guys feel about locking suitcases. I always leave mine unlocked in case port security wants to look at something. Now we're adding airport people in as well. What do you think? Lock or no lock?

I never lock my suitcases. At least, not since 9/11. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I'm wondering how you guys feel about locking suitcases. I always leave mine unlocked in case port security wants to look at something. Now we're adding airport people in as well. What do you think? Lock or no lock?

 

You can get TSA approved locks that they are able to open, otherwise your lock will probably end up cut off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I'm wondering how you guys feel about locking suitcases. I always leave mine unlocked in case port security wants to look at something. Now we're adding airport people in as well. What do you think? Lock or no lock?

 

I use zip ties.  Easy to cut off by security, if needed.  I can also tell if someone has been in my suitcase.  Cheaper than a destroyed lock, plus those little locks that come with suitcases are pretty much useless.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

I'm wondering how you guys feel about locking suitcases. I always leave mine unlocked in case port security wants to look at something. Now we're adding airport people in as well. What do you think? Lock or no lock?

 

Aren't they prohibited since TSA has to be able to check luggage as well as the port security? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

 

Aren't they prohibited since TSA has to be able to check luggage as well as the port security? 

They aren't prohibited... the TSA locks which they can open are recommended, but if you put any other kind of lock on there and they need to open your suitcase for any reason, they will cut the lock (or even break them if it's an integrated locking system).

Link to post
Share on other sites

I never lock my suitcases. I also never have anything of any value in them. Only one time did I ever get the little love letter from TSA that they searched my bag and that was, I’m sure, because I had two bottles of alcohol in there that I had purchased on the ship.

Edited by blarko
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I never lock my suitcases. At least, not since 9/11. 

I didn't before 9/11 and haven't since. There aren't valuables in my checked bags, so I figure locking the bags is just one more hassle. And I've had "love letters" from the TSA left in my bags  twice - both times when our luggage ended up on a different flight than we did.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I'm wondering how you guys feel about locking suitcases. I always leave mine unlocked in case port security wants to look at something. Now we're adding airport people in as well. What do you think? Lock or no lock?

I always lock mine, using TSA locks. Airport staff can open those, and I would think port (vs Carnival) staff can too. Carnival staff can call me to the "naughty room" if necessary, but that's never happened. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think since I don't see an onslaught of people screaming "lock your stuff up!" and since it's too late for amazon and I don't really want to go to the store after work...and no way I'll be there on Friday...I'm thinking I'll skip the lock. I even have multiple people from New York leaving their stuff unlocked. If they're good, I'm good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising.co.uk
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...