Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Coffeeluvr05

Live from Sky Princess TA Crossing

Recommended Posts

Just now, twodaywonder said:

Really appreciate the report. We have stopped going to the dining room years ago and only do the buffet. Most of the time other than specialty. Going Sunday and again Jan 11th. 

We had breakfast once in the dining room on this trip and we prefer the buffet. I can’t believe I am saying this , but it’s true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

breakfast in the mdr takes way too long for breakfast

I'm am rarely in a hurry unless I have an early excursion so I enjoy the MDR.

 

Being on marina in the back it is nice to be able to pop up and grab something to take back to the room when I do have something early happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following, thanks for doing this!

 

Edit (hope you'll catch this):  I've gotta ask, considering your screen name: How's the coffee? The complementary plus any gourmet offerings if you've tried them?

Edited by Moonarino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, scott4020 said:

I've enjoyed three cruises on Thanksgiving and I have to say these chefs have no idea how to do an American Thanksgiving dinner. 

 

Too bad for you.  So are away from home and not having a traditional Thanksgiving meal with everything you get back home is unfortunate.  Have fun with the rest of your cruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Moonarino said:

Following, thanks for doing this!

 

Edit (hope you'll catch this):  I've gotta ask, considering your screen name: How's the coffee? The complementary plus any gourmet offerings if you've tried them?

Oh, the coffee. I’m not sure the weak stuff offered can be called coffee 🤣. people seem to like it though. 
 

I have ordered a quad shot cappuccino each morning and it has been delicious! I really enjoy their iced chai tea as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We tried Bistro Sur La Mer last night and I am so glad we did. The chef is on board so I felt it could not be missed. The food and the service were great! The “olives” made of goat cheese are my favorite! We also enjoyed a cooking demonstration by Chef Emmanuel Renaut earlier this week. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice photo spread showing the ship.

 

To anyone that has tried a sanctuary cabana, are those chairs and couches comfortable?  The old decor had a "L" shaped sofa so both the wife and I could be stretched out comfortably.  I'm not seeing being that comfortable on that sofa.  

 

Thanks

framer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, framer said:

Nice photo spread showing the ship.

 

To anyone that has tried a sanctuary cabana, are those chairs and couches comfortable?  The old decor had a "L" shaped sofa so both the wife and I could be stretched out comfortably.  I'm not seeing being that comfortable on that sofa.  

 

Thanks

framer


we had a cabana for a couple of days (afternoon’s) on the crossing.  We really enjoyed it.  Furniture was comfortable, but as you say, different than the other Royal-class ships.  The sofa is definitely a one person lounger.  Service was very good.  Overall, space is much more modern, as you can see on the photos.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LongToSeeTheSea said:


we had a cabana for a couple of days (afternoon’s) on the crossing.  We really enjoyed it.  Furniture was comfortable, but as you say, different than the other Royal-class ships.  The sofa is definitely a one person lounger.  Service was very good.  Overall, space is much more modern, as you can see on the photos.  

 

Thanks for the info.  How was the wind when the ship was underway.  It looks somewhat protected.  The outside loungers are somewhat in the shade?

 

I see from some photo's that there is a round sofa with a table up front, is that a common area for use by everyone.

 

The cabana's on the Regal had a wind problem when the ship was underway IMHO.  It also had a nice common area to get a different view.

 

framer

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, framer said:

 

Thanks for the info.  How was the wind when the ship was underway.  It looks somewhat protected.  The outside loungers are somewhat in the shade?

 

I see from some photo's that there is a round sofa with a table up front, is that a common area for use by everyone.

 

The cabana's on the Regal had a wind problem when the ship was underway IMHO.  It also had a nice common area to get a different view.

 

framer

 

The sanctuary was unusable due to wind the day we booked. They let us cancel no problem. The manager there is very reasonable. Not sure if the winds will be heavy on a Caribbean Sea day though. 
 

We also found the retreat pool (Deck 17) area to be quite windy. Both the retreat pool and the sanctuary (deck 18) are at the forward of the ship. 

Edited by Coffeeluvr05

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing we have found and from talking to almost a dozen other passengers.  The Sky staterooms creak quite a bit in a moderate sea.  Seems to originate from the balcony door frame area.  Stuck a few pieces of cardboard in between door and jamb - seemed to help a tiny bit.  Never noticed creaking at this level on Regal or Royal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2019 at 10:03 AM, Coffeeluvr05 said:

I just thought I would share some of my observations I’ve gathered so far...

 

  • The ship is large and beautiful! I’m not a crowd person and I have been able to find places all over to just sit and relax. 
  • I have not been very excited about the dining room menus at dinner. On the other hand, the buffet is quite good and has a variety of items to choose from. This surprised me since I normally avoid the buffet at all cost.
  • The wait staff have been wonderful and always try to accommodate. I have found all Princess ships this way though.
  • The decor is light and bright and gives an open and airy feel.
  • Many pax complain a lot and seem to want to share their complaints with us. We have not had anything to complain about. Well, except that one time they accidentally charged us for a cocktail when we have the PBP.
  • The bathtub/shower is larger than my pre-cruise hotel shower. Water pressure is awesome too!
  • The entertainment has been very good and varied in genre.
  • Medallionnet Internet works quite well! Downloading files is slow so download movies, tv shows from home to your devices. Streaming the Disney+ app worked though. It seems to prioritize browsing and email then streaming video. That being said, I have had no issue with FaceTime.
  • The Medallionclass app ordering works well, except sometimes it doesn’t detect you are in the area where you can order from and you have to move your phone around to get the right spot. You can not customize your drink order though. The only time it allowed a customization was for a martini. Up vs over and olives/twist, etc. The one time I ordered a drink that was $13 (pbp limit is $12) they only charged me the overage. 
  • The gelato is real gelato and quite good. Do not let the free sample “scoop” deter you from purchasing. There is a vast difference in size! LOL

 

overall, we are really enjoying our time on the Sky and are savoring all of it!

Very nice and comprehensive review ! Couldn’t help but laugh at the following “ Many passengers complain a lot and seem to want to share the complaints with us “. Lol What else is new ?? We have a name for those folks on every cruise we’ve taken . “CHRONICS”. Never ceases to amaze us how folks spend money to go on cruises to become constant complainers . Feel very sorry for them !! I guess they have no life on land and decide to take their frustrations to the ocean . LOL 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing your observations, we will be sailing on her the end of February and it is nice to know what other people think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice review and photos I'll be on her two weeks from today.there will probably be some different menu items for the Caribbean sailings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have had a fantastic trip and I hope you all will enjoy the Sky as much as we have. She is a beautiful vessel and the crew works very hard to make sure we have an enjoyable time! If you have Arren and Pedro in the dining room please tell them Ms. Julie and Mr. Tim said hi. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2019 at 6:31 AM, scott4020 said:

I've enjoyed three cruises on Thanksgiving and I have to say these chefs have no idea how to do an American Thanksgiving dinner. 

 

 

On 11/29/2019 at 6:12 AM, AF-1 said:

Too bad for you.  So are away from home and not having a traditional Thanksgiving meal with everything you get back home is unfortunate.  Have fun with the rest of your cruise

 

We cruised on Thanksgiving and didn't eat their "Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner" in MDR. We did get some pretty decent Thanksgiving fare from the buffet though. We "should" be cruising around southern Australia next Thanksgiving. Will likely get our food fix from the buffet again. I don't know how it's possible for the MDR folks to screw up pumpkin pie but they manage. Sheesh... It's squash with a bit of milk, sugar, and spices. I've made "pumpkin" pie using other types of squash. Slightly different color but same flavor. It's not rocket surgery... This year my wife made fantastic deep dish apple pie and I made my "usual" which is walnut pie. Both were excellent and extremely well received.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the info.  We'll be on for 2 weeks in January and I can't wait.

Could you tell me if an HDMI port is accessible on the TV?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, palolake said:

Thanks for all the info.  We'll be on for 2 weeks in January and I can't wait.

Could you tell me if an HDMI port is accessible on the TV?

We brought a laptop and hdmi cable and we never tried booking it up. We barely watched tv, which surprised me. If we have a chance to check in the morning I will post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...