Strict embarkation time on Le Champlain?

Fighterone

I recently boarded Le Laperouse in Cairns, and Ponant were strict with boarding times (the Captain greets each passenger as they board so he can't stand around all day!). We were allowed to drop our bags off a little earlier (3pm) and went and had a beer at a bar next door. As there are only 150 passengers to check in and board they whip through it quickly once they start.

On 11/25/2019 at 2:30 PM, AdrienH said:

Indeed, it's a rather "strict" embarkation so they might take your luggage but you won't be able to board early

Agreed -- we just sailed on her back in October, and the listed embarkation time of 12:00PM - 1:00PM was precisely stuck to. And, others are correct that the process moves quickly once it begins given how small these ships are. Certainly no point in showing up early unless you enjoy waiting around in airport-style waiting room seating. 

54 minutes ago, garykool81 said:

Agreed -- we just sailed on her back in October, and the listed embarkation time of 12:00PM - 1:00PM was precisely stuck to. And, others are correct that the process moves quickly once it begins given how small these ships are. Certainly no point in showing up early unless you enjoy waiting around in airport-style waiting room seating. 

Of course not!

I was just inquiring since we have never sailed on Ponant. I am not a fan of airport style waits either!

This is our first time on Compagnie du Ponant, hence the question. After 37 cruises, we have "never" been asked to adhere to a strict schedule for boarding but are certainly flexible.

Since Puerto Morelos is not an inviting port due to the hoteliers trying to remove Ponant from berthing there, I have to wonder what the earliest time is for us to just check our luggage on Le Champlain as I don't expect much from the hotel! 

Edited by Fighterone

45 minutes ago, Fighterone said:

Of course not!

I was just inquiring since we have never sailed on Ponant. I am not a fan of airport style waits either!

This is our first time on Compagnie du Ponant, hence the question. After 37 cruises, we have "never" been asked to adhere to a strict schedule for boarding but are certainly flexible.

Since Puerto Morelos is not an inviting port due to the hoteliers trying to remove Ponant from berthing there, I have to wonder what the earliest time is for us to just check our luggage on Le Champlain as I don't expect much from the hotel! 

Completely agree! We've never encountered such a strict embarkation policy with timing before. How un-French of them! haha 

I would imagine that you can show up at least an hour (maybe two) before that time to drop off your bags? I would recommend calling to be safe. 

18 hours ago, Fighterone said:

If I am not mistaken, Puerto Morelos is a public pier. The question is how long can the ship dock there?

The ship has to drop off disembarking passengers in the morning, Can the ship stay docked till 10 pm?

According to Reply #1 in this thread, fishing boats dock to unload their catch at 2 pm...

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g240327-i395-k1605849-Fishing_Pier_Puerto_Morelos-Puerto_Morelos_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

• Like 1

Correction, which is the pier? The big pier on the map is part of a port facility, linked to a dock for cargo. Or, is it the tiny dock in town for tourist boats?

Photos show the front gate. Is this the right pier?1111406082_PMtown.thumb.JPG.7dd11bc2532faaecc69c05971aa8258e.JPG

990739607_PMpier.thumb.JPG.8e3361b12a792c9bdad50f9a5d2163c2.JPG

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 1

I have to weigh in a bit on this one.  The logic behind a quick, hopefully efficient, boarding with personal greeting is quaint and no problem for me.  What I can't fathom is the disembarkation.  They want 150 passengers off the boat at 8:00 AM!  Boats five times the size are able to turn the ship for the next cruise in half that time.  Does anyone have any idea why?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2019 at 12:48 PM, Fighterone said:

First time cruisers on Ponant and wondering if we can board earlier than the time stated. The current time given is between 4 and 5 pm. The ship leaves at 10pm. How flexible is this embarkation time? If so how early can we board? Thank you

Hi Fighterone,

I've started a notice board here...

I would be grateful if you could update the notice board if you have any definite notices from Ponant.