Internet Question for you Experts

regnig

Will be sailing on the Koningsdam 3/4 an 11 day cruise and am taking my adult daughter with me.  She would like to be able to keep in contact with her 3 kids of varying ages during this cruise.  She will have the Verizon international plan on her iPhone that she can use at most of the port stops but she would be more comfortable being able to contact them from the ship at all times.  I've checked the internet plan offered by HAL in advance of sailing and they have a PREMIUM INTERNET PLAN for $151.99 that can be booked in advance.  Should I just go ahead and reserve this now or wait until she boards the ship?  We have a bundle of OBC either given at booking and an additional $500 (thanks to you great CC members) that I got as a result of the AmEx offer.  The important thing is for her to have the service and I'm not of the mind to worry about nickels and dimes at this point, just want to do what is really the best under the circumstance.  

So bottom line is Do I book it now or wait until onboard the ship?

Many thanks in advance for your help. 

Shouldn't matter. It's not like they would run out of internet access. We always book ahead of time but that's because there is a sale and a slight discount. So if this rate is less than what they would charge you onboard or you would feel more comfortable getting it now, then book it now. 

I booked the premium before boarding as it is at a slight discount.  Would have been 139.99 for the 7 days. I paid 111.99 for the 7 days. Was able to skype on board. Sometimes it was grainy, but voice was clear. Also did wifi calling. Device has to be in airplane mode and connected to the ships wifi. I found it to be sufficient as I wanted to communicate with family during my cruise.  I have tmobile which has data and calling at 25 cents a minute at most international ports, but never really used that. Good Luck

I am getting Premium Internet Plan on my upcoming cruise as a perk.  Can someone outline exactly what this entails?  Can you call or text (I do not think so but not sure).  I assume email and websurfing. 

How does it work (on my phone I assume - how do I access).

I want to let family know what to expect from me during the week.

Edited by DaveOKC

1 hour ago, regnig said:

...She will have the Verizon international plan on her iPhone that she can use at most of the port stops but she would be more comfortable being able to contact them from the ship at all times. 

Hi all,

Verizon's international plan allows you to add HAL ships. In my case , we are traveling on Nordam and I can add that ship as well as Australia and New Zealand. But, I don't know what the Verizon service level we be on sea days.  Has anyone added a HAL ship to their Verizon International Plan.  If so, what can you do with it on a sea day and do you still need to buy the ship's wifi?

Thanks,

Bob

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

I am getting Premium Internet Plan on my upcoming cruise as a perk.  Can someone outline exactly what this entails?  Can you call or text (I do not think so but not sure).  I assume email and websurfing. 

How does it work (on my phone I assume - how do I access).

I want to let family know what to expect from me during the week.

You may call, text email, surf.   Just be sure your phone is in airplane mode and you are connected to ship WiFi.  There will be a sheet explaining  the process on the desk in your cabin when you arrive.  

I have found the WiFi to be good considering you are on a ship at times with no land in sight. 😊

1 hour ago, Gigi1977 said:

You may call, text email, surf.   Just be sure your phone is in airplane mode and you are connected to ship WiFi.  There will be a sheet explaining  the process on the desk in your cabin when you arrive.  

I have found the WiFi to be good considering you are on a ship at times with no land in sight. 😊

Thanks - it will be interesting to see how the calls work!

4 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Thanks - it will be interesting to see how the calls work!

If you have issues onboard with WiFi calling turn off HD calling.

If you have never used WiFi calling on your phone you should put it in airplane mode at home and switch to WiFi calling before you leave the US so when you switch onboard your phone carrier knows what to do and doesn't have to "call home" for any setup.

Thanks

Alan

• Like 2

Just a thank you for all who have responded to my original post.  I will go ahead and book this in advance and also see to it that DD reads all the posts for the helpful hints as to how to use the service.  She will be greatly relieved she can be in touch with kids 24/7.

Thanks again!

Buy the premium plan and install Skype on your phone and your daughter's kid's phone/tablet.   Then, you can talk for as long as you want for free.   To use a VOIP service like Skype, you must have the premium package.   I have a Skype account with about $10 loaded on it.   I can call from my laptop on the ship to any land based phone number.  I use it to call our dog boarder and our neighbors while on the cruise.   Due to HAL using Carnival's Miami server for all internet, Skype thinks it is in Miami and your calls to US numbers are 2 cents per minute.   That is to a land based number.  If you use Skype to Skype, there is no charge.