Cruise Critic Community
suesnake2002

Grandeur review nov 16-23 2019

This will be a somewhat short review. This was our second time on grandeur. And our worst weather experienced. Also the first time our itinary changed. And in seven days we got off the boat once, in coco cay. 

It was me Sue 57, and hubby Keith turning 47 on the cruise. This was a milestone for us because we turned diamond on this cruise. The last few years we have cruised twice a year. 

Let me just say baltimore is the easiest port to embark and disembark from. We drive down from long island, 4 hour trip. Literally one left hand turn and your at the port unloading luggage. 

We arrived a little before 10am. No line for anything,luggage,security,check in. Then we walked right on the boat. Sitting in the schooner bar having a bloody mary by 10:15am. And thats because I walk slow up the ramp. 

The best part about being on a ship you've sailed before is you know where everything is. And you know where you want to be. And then there is greeting familiar crew you know. 

I will do this in parts cause I can't sit here for hours to write. Our room a junior suite deck 8. And the first time champagne was waiting for us. 20191116_130747.thumb.jpg.a9261ee98a70a93138f09ce0d9eb7e60.jpg

20191116_102006.jpg

20191119_141203.jpg

20191116_131626.jpg

20191116_131611.jpg

I’ll be following along .  We were supposed to sail on Grandeur in Feb. 2020 to the Bahamas but canceled because we are unsure of what the weather is going to be like. Seems like we made the right decision.    

Nh proud i have stayed in nassau in jan. It can be pleasantly warm. Or chilly. I would do a more southern route that time of year. 

Now prior to our cruise there was a lot of storm talk. So we knew changes were coming. What actually happened was we boarded saturday. Pushed off and anchored in the chesapeake bay til sunday night late. Things like coast guard closing the bay, and a carnival ship being stuck out at sea is what we heard. By 8am monday morning we were out of the bay. And things really started to rock and roll. 

There were alot of sick people and crew monday. It didn't calm down til late afternoon. It was the worse seas I've experienced. And we did take a good roll at one point. Imagine being on deck 6. Looking out to the sea. You see sky and water. Next all you see is water. It was unexpected. My advice, drink more and stagger with ship. Lol. I am sorry i didn't take video. 

We originally were told coco cay and nassau would be switched. And we would arrive in nassau 1pm. At this point i cancelled my beach day. We were then told nassau arrival 9:30pm to 1:30am. We actually arrived at 10:30 ish. My only problem  is we weren't refunded our port charges for nassau. We could have skipped it all together. But rccl needed supplies and switch entertainment

20191116_164603.jpg

20191117_111828.jpg

20191116_184556_001.jpg

20191117_115820.jpg

20191116_192441.jpg

This was also the first-time and last time we saw john blair. He was sick. On our roll call some one asked who was sick after the cruise. Seems slot of coughs. Flu like symptoms  being caught. Me i have a scratchy throat and wet cough. Our waiter and head waiter were also missing during the cruise one night

Hi.

Did not realize that April was your first on Lady G.

Actually, after April, my preference would be to NOT see John. 😄

Booked on Jan 31 sailing.  $379 pp for an inside for 8 nights.  I will turn Diamond on that cruise. 🙂

Also waiting to hear the rest of the story.  We are booked in December.

4 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

This will be a somewhat short review. This was our second time on grandeur. And our worst weather experienced. Also the first time our itinary changed. And in seven days we got off the boat once, in coco cay. 

It was me Sue 57, and hubby Keith turning 47 on the cruise. This was a milestone for us because we turned diamond on this cruise. The last few years we have cruised twice a year. 

Let me just say baltimore is the easiest port to embark and disembark from. We drive down from long island, 4 hour trip. Literally one left hand turn and your at the port unloading luggage. 

We arrived a little before 10am. No line for anything,luggage,security,check in. Then we walked right on the boat. Sitting in the schooner bar having a bloody mary by 10:15am. And thats because I walk slow up the ramp. 

The best part about being on a ship you've sailed before is you know where everything is. And you know where you want to be. And then there is greeting familiar crew you know. 

I will do this in parts cause I can't sit here for hours to write. Our room a junior suite deck 8. And the first time champagne was waiting for us. 20191116_130747.thumb.jpg.a9261ee98a70a93138f09ce0d9eb7e60.jpg

20191116_102006.jpg

20191119_141203.jpg

20191116_131626.jpg

20191116_131611.jpg

Any zumba or similar in centrum. Did they offer theme dance parties? We enjoyed the Grandeur in 2017 but we’re disappointed in 2019 by lack of activities. Who’s the current Cruise Director?

They had some sort of sit down excercise in the am, and if course the thriller dance. I did catch some sort of dance exercise too

SRF. Had to laugh at your comments. After this week john and katrina blair are off the grandeur. I don't recall where they are going. 

So too continue....I will now address the main dining room. Service was not good. Food is subjective. Some things I found so salty to be inedible. Example beef short ribs. Melt in your mouth. But so salty I couldnt do it. I guess I must have had great waiters on all my other cruises, and have been spoiled. 

We had a table of four. Only me and hubby showed up all week. A table of 2 next to us.with a different waiter.  That couple showed up the 2 formal nights. So maybe we were in a dead zone. I enjoy having a Pellegrino with my dinner. It's glorified club soda. I want to taste my food. So I am told they can't give it to me cause they only have big bottles in the dinning room.?! I know first night is crazy, so i let it go. It's our first dinner and I am ready to eat. I order a soup, salad,appetizer and entree. 

Well the assistant waiter serves me my soup,salad,and appetizer all at once. Yes all 3 are placed around me. Lucky thing no one else is at this four top because food is spread out all over between me and hubby. Me and hubby are puzzled by this. We don't order dessert. So the second nite our waiter is out sick. I tell our asst waiter, " lets try this again, I would like a GLASS of Pellegrino"   He goes away, and comes back and says they can't do it. The next words out of ny mouth are i wish to speak to the maitre dee. I have never done that before. All this for a glass of club soda. Did I mention I had the deluxe bev pkg. Well two small bottles of Pellegrino appear. And I never see the maitre dee. The next day after that, the very rough day. I went to the MDR for lunch. I said I'll have the burger. Pointing to my selection. The hamburger described came with mushrooms. I love mushrooms. What came was a plain hockey puck cheeseburger. Wheres my mushrooms??

The answer: you got cheeseburger. No oh I'll get you some, nothing. 

Another lady ordered a steak sandwhich, minus one ingredient. And instead of salad she wanted fries. What she got was a piece of steak on a plate. Nothing else. I left the puck/hamburger, got up and had a tutti salad. So now I'm  dreading tonites dinner. Upon hubbys urging I went to guest services to complain. I didnt want to give my room number. I just wanted to talk to someone about my experiences. Ya know give your staff a pep talk. Guest services insisted on my room so someone can call me. 

No one called me. And that nite I had 2 small bottles of Pellegrino waiting in MDR. The head waiter  came over apologizing,  and our regular waiter too. And any problems please let them know. Now I feel bad. So I order a salad ,appetizer and entree. My salad and appetizer are both placed in front of me. Ok I'm over feeling bad. But from here on in I always gave my Pellegrino, our dishes are always hot. And the crumbs from the bread swept off the table. 

Now I only got dessert twice. And all week I was never asked if we wanted coffee. Sunday nite was Keiths birthday, monday nite they sang happy birthday.

We also had a six pack if Pellegrino delivered to our room. They tried. And one night, first time ever we went to the wind jammer for dinner

20191117_173343.jpg

20191118_182428.jpg

20191119_183908.jpg

20191118_232131.jpg

6 minutes ago, suesnake2002 said:

So too continue....I will now address the main dining room. Service was not good. Food is subjective.

I was on the previous cruise (11/8 to 11/16) and the MDR service (MTD - same time, table, waiter every night) was fine.  YMMV, as always.

Another critic, I was on grandeur in april and service was great. I felt this was a just one off. 

Now our only real stop was coco cay. And it was truly a perfect day. The weather cooperated wonderfully. We had booked a cabana at chill island. We had cabana number 3. Prior to our sailing i was on the anthem roll call asking them what prices they had. So i paid $381, and on the same booking day anthem was being charged $499. It seems prices are higher on the bigger ships. On board they were offered for $599. They were not sold out

I had previously read on these boards that service could be hit or miss. So when we checked in and our attendant showed us to our cabana I let her know hubby drinks alot of beer. And she could run back and forth or just leave some in the cooler for us. Cause if she took care of us i would take care of her. Her name is Shantae, and she took very good care of us. 

Chill island is exactly that. Very chill. It is relaxed and quiet. We bring our own snorkel gear. The area right in front of chill has some small and big fish. And a sting ray came by also. Hubby being a better swimmer snorkled in the area next to us. He saw lots of fish, sunken boat, and cannons. He did not wear a safety vest. 

The restrooms are located outside the cabana area. 

Having left the boat at 8am, we did not ear breakfast. So on one bathroom break hubby went to find some funnel cake. Shantae saw him walking around and asked if he needed help. Needless to say shantae brought us funnel cake. The menu they give you is limited. It does not have all the food options on it. Funnel cake not being one of them. 

I would book again. For the same price. 

The couch us comfy, you have a safe, and a ceiling fan, outlets. I took alot of pictures on our walk back. 

20191120_070613.jpg

20191120_070636.jpg

20191120_081517.jpg

20191120_081631.jpg

20191120_155626.jpg

For lunch keith got the chicken sandwhich (good)and i got the grilled veggie salad with chicken(mostly peppers) We also shared some mozzarella sticks and fries. 

After coco cay we had 2 more sea days heading back. We like to do self disembark. We put our luggage down on deck 4 in line. We were second in line, this was at 6:05am    Then up to the jammer for our first ever disembark breakfast. We usually skip breakfast last day. I believe we stated disembark at 7am. 

I thought the water temp was warmer in the ocean than the pool. And I thought temp was fine. But I'm from long island. 

I would venture a guess in the low 70's. 

A little cool as you entered. But warmed up quick 

20 hours ago, cementhands said:

Any zumba or similar in centrum. Did they offer theme dance parties? We enjoyed the Grandeur in 2017 but we’re disappointed in 2019 by lack of activities. Who’s the current Cruise Director?

Maybe next time, remove the photos when you quote a message? 🙂

They do theme dance parties on Grandeur.  A 60s one (Grease themed) and a 70s one (Village People themed).

They do fitness classes, but since I do not participate, I don't remember where they were held.

Also, the pool side things, but on colder sailings, possibly not.  Our April cruise had the belly flop contest, but not the passengers versus "officers" water volleyball.

Edited by SRF