Cruise Critic Community
TheTruthCanHurt

Unlimited Dining Package on Independence questions

Good Morning,

I read the review about the unlimited dining package experience on the harmony, which was very helpful.  I am booked on the independence, and the email I received from the concierge stated that Izumi hibachi was not included, (only 35.00 credit for sushi/ala carte).  This of course contradicts what I have read in other reviews.  Of course there is no great verbiage from royal as it relates to what is or is not included, and it is no shock that different ships are doing different things.  So my question is... Has anyone recently sailed on the Indy with the unlimited dining package, and what was your experience?   thanks in advance.

Have you verified that Izumi on Indy has the Hibachi dining?  It may, but not all the ships that have added Izumi do.

21 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Have you verified that Izumi on Indy has the Hibachi dining?  It may, but not all the ships that have added Izumi do.

HI,

Yes, they do have it but here is part of my email from the concierge.  

"Kindly be advised that unlimited dining package is not include Habachi, it is apply for sushi only. You will be able to have $35 credit to enjoy A la carte Sushi, Rolls, Noodles so on."

33 minutes ago, TheTruthCanHurt said:

HI,

Yes, they do have it but here is part of my email from the concierge.  

"Kindly be advised that unlimited dining package is not include Habachi, it is apply for sushi only. You will be able to have $35 credit to enjoy A la carte Sushi, Rolls, Noodles so on."

One of the big changes made when the name went from Ultimate to Unlimited was the inclusion of hibachi.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

One of the big changes made when the name went from Ultimate to Unlimited was the inclusion of hibachi.

HI,

thats what I thought as well (although i cant find it on the RCCL description).  But the email I quoted I received this morning from the concierge on the independence.  Now.. that does not mean I cant show up a izumi in person and they will say something different from what the ship concierge says, ......

Just now, TheTruthCanHurt said:

HI,

thats what I thought as well (although i cant find it on the RCCL description).  But the email I quoted I received this morning from the concierge on the independence.  Now.. that does not mean I cant show up a izumi in person and they will say something different from what the ship concierge says, ......

It's getting to the point that we have to take a screen shot of every RC web page when we purchase something because they keep moving the goal posts.

Just now, Host Clarea said:

It's getting to the point that we have to take a screen shot of every RC web page when we purchase something because they keep moving the goal posts.

Yes,

I do agree.... I have emailed both Dining and messaged on facebook just hoping to get something in writing.   It's just so hard to determine the value of some of these packages when you dont know all of the restrictions.  For the case of my 5 night sailing, the package was actually a great deal  $118.00  pp  including the grats for the dining (which makes the prices almost what chops used to be (in the 20's  per person).  so I figure even if I go a couple three times, I have got my moneys worth.

4 minutes ago, danoconnl said:

I would email him this...

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-restaurants-are-included-in-the-unlimited-dining-package

And screen shot it to have on your phone when you sail.  I know I will be when I sail on the independence in march.

Dan

Thank you.  this is what I was hoping to see.  At least something from their website that I can so.  I appreciate it

6 minutes ago, TheTruthCanHurt said:

Thank you.  this is what I was hoping to see.  At least something from their website that I can so.  I appreciate it

And this just in from the Royal caribbean facebook messenger.    This is why it's so frustrating dealing with them.  every day different information.

Hi, . Regardless of the ships, the Ultimate Dining Package includes Izumi. It's considered an a la carte venue and guests are given a $35 food credit each time they dine for the sushi, as hibachi is not included. -Paula

10 minutes ago, TheTruthCanHurt said:

And this just in from the Royal caribbean facebook messenger.    This is why it's so frustrating dealing with them.  every day different information.

Hi, . Regardless of the ships, the Ultimate Dining Package includes Izumi. It's considered an a la carte venue and guests are given a $35 food credit each time they dine for the sushi, as hibachi is not included. -Paula

and now this: after I sent them the link...

Thanks for bringing that to our attention. I'd like to confirm this with our ships to ensure we're all on the same page. I'll report this now and get it corrected.

So I guess they are just going to remove text from the website now??

13 minutes ago, TheTruthCanHurt said:

So I guess they are just going to remove text from the website now??

That would be my guess.

As a follow-up, I'm booked on the Indy for Tuesday's charter sailing and the Unlimited Dining Package description states that Izumi IS included, but with a $10 upcharge.   This would be consistent with that $35 credit for "a la carte" dining venues (as it also states), but since Izumi's price is $45, the $10 surcharge would cover the difference.  

It also states that seaday lunch in specialty restaurants is also included gratis, but with no further details OR whether reservations are required for lunch.   (?)  

1 hour ago, Pellaz said:

It also states that seaday lunch in specialty restaurants is also included gratis, but with no further details OR whether reservations are required for lunch.   (?)  

Since you cannot make reservations for dining packages pre-cruise, this is something you can find out by going to a specialty restaurant as soon as you board.

@Pellaz When we sailed on Indy last year we did lunch in Izumi without a reservation, but if it's something you want to make sure you experience then I would go there when you board like Host Clarea suggested. 

I am on-board Indy now and have the Unlimited Dining.  Izumi hibachi is included but only

the chicken, steak or shrimp.  If you wanted combo or lobster or scallops, it would be $10.  We have also been able to use it at Playmakers, Johnny Rockets and Fish and Ships on port days for lunch 

6 minutes ago, Canadian Disney Mom said:

I am on-board Indy now and have the Unlimited Dining.  Izumi hibachi is included but only

the chicken, steak or shrimp.  If you wanted combo or lobster or scallops, it would be $10.  We have also been able to use it at Playmakers, Johnny Rockets and Fish and Ships on port days for lunch 

Seems like ships are still interpreting things differently when it comes to Hibachi.  Last week on Oasis it was a $10 upchagre regardless of the protein which is how the website now reads. 

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Seems like ships are still interpreting things differently when it comes to Hibachi.  Last week on Oasis it was a $10 upchagre regardless of the protein which is how the website now reads. 

Egads at the confusion.  I guess I'll just have to check with the specialty restaurants after boarding, as suggested.  

I don't expect too many "takers" at the specialty restaurants during this charter cruise, but I also don't remember the Unlimited Dining Package being offered to us in the past, either.   (There are MANY differences in offerings; for example, no Suite Lounge or concierge service and no alcoholic drink packages available.)  

So let me see if I get this...if you purchase the unlimited dining option, you can go into any specialty restaurant, or venue, such as Johnny Rockets, and not have an extra charge on your sea pass?

7 minutes ago, 2flacruisers said:

So let me see if I get this...if you purchase the unlimited dining option, you can go into any specialty restaurant, or venue, such as Johnny Rockets, and not have an extra charge on your sea pass?

I don't think it covers extra cost items in the Main Dining Room.

Just now, Host Clarea said:

I don't think it covers extra cost items in the Main Dining Room.

Thank you. 

22 minutes ago, 2flacruisers said:

you can go into any specialty restaurant, or venue

It would not cover Chef's table or dinner experiences such as the Mystery theatre dinner.  It would also not cover food from the pub.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

On 1/10/2020 at 12:22 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

It would not cover Chef's table or dinner experiences such as the Mystery theatre dinner.  It would also not cover food from the pub.

Actually, they told me the Unlimited package DID include Playmakers (presumably a $35 credit).   Also, dinner at Izumi was included but, as someone noted, it was a $10 upcharge for a combo or a second entree protein.  

It also includes effectively unlimited dining at Johnny Rockets. 

As far as the heralded "specialty lunch on seadays" thing, that was not available at all on our sailing because it was a charter.   I advised them that, since the shipboard offerings for the "Unlimited" Dining Plan differed so much from their website's description, they really shouldn't offer it pre-cruise at all.    😞  

Oh, well.  At least we had the nicest balcony on the entire ship, with an unobstructed view of the aft AND the side.  🙂 

1 hour ago, Pellaz said:

Actually, they told me the Unlimited package DID include Playmakers (presumably a $35 credit).

Yes Playmakers is included, a $20 credit.  When I mentioned the pub I was referring to the pub on the promenade which also serves bar food and is not included n