I put a cruise on hold today that goes from Tahiti to Hawaii; nice itinerary, great price and perks, and Norwegian Air--from Omaha--was only $649 pp.  

After talking to my travel agent, having second and third thoughts about the air.  He said in his experience the flights that NCL arranges, especially for long hauls like this, can be extremely bad and long flights with multiple stops and layovers.  Also, it would be economy--we almost always try to do business for the long flights.

But, using miles won't work well--can't even book any business class, and a lot of miles even for economy, with very poor flights--and buying the air ourselves is very expensive, or, if a somewhat reasonable price, insanely awful flights.  One flight had us staying in Denver for 23 hours!  We'd be better off driving to Denver.

Has anyone had any experience with NCL air from the US to Tahiti or anywhere in the region?  Yes, the flight is cheap, we'd love to see Tahiti, but don't want to be on a flight for 18 hours or one that goes (as one I researched today for price) goes from LA to Brisbane to Auckland to Tahiti, or some other ridiculous route.

He also thinks we cannot do an air deviation with this price air, but is double-checking.

Please be advised that Norwegian Air IS actually an airline and has nothing to do with NCL, so please don't confuse this airline with the flights that NCL has to offer when you take the free air promo.

Norwegian Air doesn't fly to or out of Omaha, let alone Tahiti or Hawaii.

The title is misleading 😎 better to say NCL air.

Edited by bluesea777

Time will tell - I booked the same cruise - airfare (west coast) was $149.50 and no way can I match that.

I've used the NCL promo a couple of times and have been happy with what they have booked.  Usually a red-eye but of course that depends on where you are from and where you are going.  Layovers the same thing - especially when you are flying to an out-of-the-way location. 

NCL will book your economy ticket - but you can usually upgrade by contacting the airline once you are ticketed.

As a suggestion, you can also check routes and use NCL for the bulk of the travel, but make your own arrangements to a better hub.  Did that once when there was a $600 difference between flying to LA or Portland from London.  I used NCL to get to LA, then made my own arrangements to get to Portland (less than $100).

Edited by julig22
55 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Please be advised that Norwegian Air IS actually an airline and has nothing to do with NCL, so please don't confuse this airline with the flights that NCL has to offer when you take the free air promo.

Norwegian Air doesn't fly to or out of Omaha, let alone Tahiti or Hawaii.

The title is misleading 😎 better to say NCL air.

16 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Time will tell - I booked the same cruise - airfare (west coast) was $149.50 and no way can I match that.

I've used the NCL promo a couple of times and have been happy with what they have booked.  Usually a red-eye but of course that depends on where you are from and where you are going.  Layovers the same thing - especially when you are flying to an out-of-the-way location. 

NCL will book your economy ticket - but you can usually upgrade by contacting the airline once you are ticketed.

As a suggestion, you can also check routes and use NCL for the bulk of the travel, but make your own arrangements to a better hub.  Did that once when there was a $600 difference between flying to LA or Portland from London.  I used NCL to get to LA, then made my own arrangements to get to Portland (less than $100).

Thank you--I guess I will check air out of LA for sure; for that price we could suffer some bad flights.  And it's usually fairly easy to find flights to LA.

I was under the impression that an air deviation was $25 per person to deviate up to 2 days on either end, it didn't matter what the flight cost was.  I believe NCL also makes every effort to book with as few connections as possible (but generally not non-stop) so that Omaha > LA > Brisbane > Auckland > Tahiti is probably not going to happen if there are other options.

Our TA called NCL and they told him that with that particular price for the flights the air deviation was not allowed.  However, he is going to check again today and we are going to make a decision.  I did check online and the price from LA is $149--that is hard to pass up.

I checked and we could easily get to LA right now using miles--even non-stop which is almost unheard of from Omaha.  However, we couldn't book those flights until we know our schedule from NCL.

TA also said that for a fee--either $100 or $150 pp, on most flights, we would be allowed to pick our own flights from what are available.  So, we will see when I talk to him again.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
2 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

TA also said that for a fee--either $100 or $150 pp, on most flights, we would be allowed to pick our own flights from what are available.  So, we will see when I talk to him again.

First time I have heard of that in the gazzillion threads on this topic. It would be great if true, but I somehow doubt it. Also, who is the fee paid to...NCL or the airline?

Edited by schmoopie17

I am not sure about the fee; i think it would be to NCL.

We went ahead and booked this cruise with the $149 air from LA and will just deal with whatever flights we get.  It was too good a deal to pass up.  We did not do an air deviation or the extra fee to choose our flights.  

So now we will just wait--probably a couple of months--to see how flights work out.  For this itinerary at this price, we are fine with it.

14 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

We went ahead and booked this cruise with the $149 air from LA and will just deal with whatever flights we get.  It was too good a deal to pass up.  We did not do an air deviation or the extra fee to choose our flights.  

So now we will just wait--probably a couple of months--to see how flights work out.  For this itinerary at this price, we are fine with it.

Is your flight to LA on the same day as the free/reduced air is scheduled for Tahiti? That's taking a big gamble especially considering it is an international flight.

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

First time I have heard of that in the gazzillion threads on this topic. It would be great if true, but I somehow doubt it. Also, who is the fee paid to...NCL or the airline?

Yeah I have never heard about this option before either. If it is true it is definitely beneficial.

18 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Flights to Tahiti per airline do not fly daily; there are flights 2-3 times per week.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I just looked at the schedule for my cruise leaving on March 20, 2020 (not sure if the OP is on the same cruise).    Lots of flights but most arrive in the evening.  There is an Air France flight (AF 76) leaving LAX at 12:30am and gets to Papeete at 6:10am the same day (8hr40min flight).

1 hour ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I had a thought - more of a correction/addition to my original suggestion to find a cheaper airport. I assume I will be flying from Portland to LAX and then on to Papeete and my cost is $149. And that works well for me.

While it might sound weird, you might look into an airport other than LAX just because of the logistics.  You would be flying domestic then international and LAX is HUGE - with domestic on one side and international on the other - and you'd be responsible for getting your luggage to the other terminal, since it would be a separate booking.  When I was looking for my best option, I actually went through all of the airport choices on the NCL site and then chose the best option for me - so you might be able to find something that wouldn't be as difficult as LAX.  I know that PDX is the same price and a much smaller airport (although they are doing some major construction right now).  All of the west coast airports (Seattle, Portland, SanFrancisco, SanDiego, SanJose, SanDiego) are the same price.

And yes, you can change airports as long as it is before your flights are ticketed.

3 hours ago, Greek Boss said:

Is your flight to LA on the same day as the free/reduced air is scheduled for Tahiti? That's taking a big gamble especially considering it is an international flight.

We have not booked the LA flight yet because we don't know the time the flight leaves for Tahiti yet.  Usually we have no problems getting to LA, using miles. If necessary we will (probably will) fly in the day before.  

Don't want to miss that flight to Papeete!, For sure!