Luggage tags

LynnenRob

17 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

I'd wait until the day of.  I purchased some tag holders ( suggested on a post ) that are pretty strong -- no worries about tearing off:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0733N92RT/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yep, we have that same kind of tag holder and it works well.

I wouldn't have them on luggage that's going on an airlline.  Put them someplace easy to find and attach them at some point before you go to the cruise port.

Definitely put them on as you leave your hotel for the port!

Just in case you do not have time to order/receive the plastic tags (or believe the size/shape of tags may change in the future):

I print the bagtags, fold as instructed then cover them in clear packing tape.  Use a hole punch to make a hole in the ends.  Then be sure to take a zip- (or cable-) tie to affix them to the suitcase the morning we cruise.

• Like 1

Yep, I wouldn't risk the airline baggage handlers ripping them off or being confused by them. Worst case scenario, if all is lost the baggage handler at the port will have  a manifest of the cruise which will include your name and cabin # and he could make and attach one for you. 🙂

3 hours ago, LynnenRob said:

We will be flying in the day before our cruise in December. Do you think it's ok to put our luggage tags for the cruise on before we leave our house or wait till the day of our cruise?

Always wait until just before leaving for port. They could come off during flight. I put mine on at the hotel before leaving for the port. 

• Like 1

Hubby and I always wait til day of the cruise at the hotel.  I have a fear the luggage handlers at the airport would see the bags are going on a cruise and purposely  leave them off the air plane.  ( Tho that may be my anxiety talking)  I don't take the chance. 😁

Cruising may be exciting, but given the state of airlines nowadays, the last thing you want is an extraneous tag on your luggage, which could confuse the handlers.  (Some ship names resemble city names, for example.)  So do what most people suggested already: keep the cruise tags on your person or in an outside luggage pocket.  Then attach them when you get to your hotel, or the destination airport if you're flying directly to the ship.  Also attach a tag to the bags you're carrying onto the ship; should you accidentally leave it somewhere, a crew member or a kind passenger will be able to carry it to your cabin.

One mitigating factor with flying nowadays, is that airline apps have luggage tracking.  So at least you can see if your bag(s) made it on or off the plane.  It made for incredibly good peace of mind on my last cruise.  I consider baggage claim to be the worst part of flying: I hate that suspense (read: anxiety) of standing at the baggage carousel.

• Thanks 1

We always put our tags on before we cruise, not before our flights. We stay the night before we cruise in a motel, I put them on the night before we leave for the port. I take a roll of clear package tape and tape the heck out of them so they don’t rip off.  Never had an issue.   Also put our names/info inside of our suitcases and carry on bags.  

6 hours ago, Daliaha said:

I have a fear the luggage handlers at the airport would see the bags are going on a cruise and purposely  leave them off the air plane.

Are you serious? That is not anxiety, it's paranoia. Why do you think anyone would leave them off the airplane? 

On 11/27/2019 at 2:52 PM, Out of Iowa said:

Just in case you do not have time to order/receive the plastic tags (or believe the size/shape of tags may change in the future):

I print the bagtags, fold as instructed then cover them in clear packing tape.  Use a hole punch to make a hole in the ends.  Then be sure to take a zip- (or cable-) tie to affix them to the suitcase the morning we cruise.

An interesting point, I put some zip ties in my carry on , and it had to be hand searched at the airport for it looked like wires. 

I might add this to the mix. An airline service desk employee told me that if the luggage is lost enroute and they see the cruise tags on the luggage they will expedite it directly to the ship. They won't hold it and try to track the client down for disposition. Ever since then I put mine on before I leave the house. I have never had the tag come off. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 12:52 PM, Out of Iowa said:

Ohh - good hack. I like it

On 11/27/2019 at 2:52 PM, Out of Iowa said:

Exactly what we have done for years....since the tag is only needed to get your bag from the porters to your cabin....then they can be thrown away.   They serve no other purpose.  

On 11/27/2019 at 2:06 PM, VentureMan_2000 said:

I'd wait until the day of.  I purchased some tag holders ( suggested on a post ) that are pretty strong -- no worries about tearing off:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0733N92RT/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would wait till the day of the cruise.  I always put a tag on both luggage handles, I had one of the luggage tag holders pulled off once. LOL