Port Miami boarding? Scared.

Hi All,

We made a sonewhat risky move as on Sunday we embark our ship but before that we watch Dolphins game at Hard Rock stadium. Game begins at 13:00 and ship leaves at 19:00. Game ends around 16:05 Originally I thought we will check in to the ship in the morning and just board it around 17:30. (MSC Meraviglia)
However I just recieved my cruise ticket and it says boarding is from 16:15 to 17:00. Now I am a little scared as the journey from the stadium is only 20 minutes normally but after the game it might be hard to find a taxi + roads night be closed, traffic can be bad.

Anyone had experience with traffic in Miami after football game? How to get to the port as fast possible?
Also: is this check in time that strict? For me it is hard to believe you could not board a ship which leaves at 19:00 until at least 18:00.

Thanks for the inputs.

Cruise ships have to have their passenger manifest turned in to the port at least one hour before sailing. You will not be permitted to board at or after 18:00 for a cruise set to depart at 19:00.

It is very risky to arrive any later than the boarding time stated by your cruise line.

Who told you the journey is only twenty minutes?  It will take you that long to get out of the stadium after the game.

Agree with John, leave at halftime.  It will take you at least 40 minutes to get to the port.

Do not rely on Uber.

Extremely risky at best - I doubt you'd make it through the crowds to arrive the minimum of 1 hr prior to departure.  Just a question - are you taking your luggage to the game??

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Dear All,

Thanks for all the inputs! Obviously my question rather look foolish but let me explain:

We are actually Hungarian Eagles Fans so we somewhat came for this game as well. 🙂 I only been to cruising from Dubai where I could board the ship in the morning. So I originally thought when I saw the ship’s schedule that I check in before the game and with the cruise card in hand we go to the game and then we can boadd it only 1 hour before departure. Any chance of this?

30 minutes ago, Patterzone said:

Dear All,

Thanks for all the inputs! Obviously my question rather look foolish but let me explain:

We are actually Hungarian Eagles Fans so we somewhat came for this game as well. 🙂 I only been to cruising from Dubai where I could board the ship in the morning. So I originally thought when I saw the ship’s schedule that I check in before the game and with the cruise card in hand we go to the game and then we can boadd it only 1 hour before departure. Any chance of this?

You have been given solid advice.  You must be “onboard” the ship at least 1.5-2 hours BEFORE sailing.  If you are not there in that timeframe you will NOT be allowed to board...even if the ship is still sitting there!!!

You have no guarantee when the game will end and with massive traffic exiting the game you have no idea how long it will take you to get to the port.

Enjoy the game because it may be the only thing you get to do!

Edited by GTO-Girl
54 minutes ago, Patterzone said:

Dear All,

How are you getting to and from the game?

Whatever you do, don't use Uber or Lyft.  People have had nightmares getting rides back into town.  The stadium is in the middle of nowhere so the drivers will have a one way trip out with no fare just to pick one up.

Rent a car.

1 hour ago, rucruisn2 said:

Don't know why you would want to watch the Dolphins, they a horrible.  Board the ship and watch the game on TV.

d

OP is from Budapest and this may be their only chance to see their team. A rental car might be a good option, but I still suggest leaving at half time to give yourself time to board.

Another vote for going to the game but leaving during halftime. I would if I had traveled that far to see my team. Staying until the end sounds very risky though. I wouldn’t do that. But I understand wanting to risk things a bit in order to squeeze something in.

When we sailed on the Meraviglia, I wanted to attend the Angelus officiated by Pope Francis at St Peter’s Square on embarkation day. I knew that it would be tight, plus we had a one hour drive to the port, so I gave myself a personal time limit. If the Angelus wasn’t over by a certain time, we would leave. Thankfully, it was over with time to spare, but I kept looking at my watch every 5 minutes the entire time we were there! 

On 11/28/2019 at 3:01 AM, Patterzone said:

For me it is hard to believe you could not board a ship which leaves at 19:00 until at least 18:00

If the cruise line tells people that they can board until 18:00, TRUST ME, undoubtedly there will be people showing up at 18:45. Giving a 2 hour cutoff allows plenty of time to process all 5,000 passengers and submit the required paperwork to local authorities so that the ship can sail on time. 

So a little update how it went. We left around the middle of the 3rd quarter and there was still zero traffic. Arrived to the port at 15:45 already. Asked the guys what could have been the limit, one of them told me 17:30, other 18:00. Anyways when we left we were winning 28-14, at the end we lost 31-37 to THE DOLPHINS, so it was might be the best thing to leave. 😄