Encore / Live / Solo(*)- Dec 1-8-2019...

sid_9169

On 12/7/2019 at 9:44 AM, sid_9169 said:

I guess you could say that "C" has taken to cruising like a fish to water... She's already talking about booking another one as soon as she gets home. Other than the dinners we've had, she's pretty much been "free range" after the first couple of days. She's been bringing bananas up to Rommel to make his special BBC cocktails. She went and rode the go karts earlier today, and she's pretty much figured out how to navigate the different areas of the ship. I think she discovered the Observation Lounge last night...

Fantastic Sid...  "C" had a Great Teacher & she was a Quick Study 🙂

• Like 1

Wow  --  take a couple days off for surgery & the cruise is now over...

Enjoyed binge reading the last 1/2 of the review...

As always, Thanks for taking us on a Fantastic Cruise - I'm glad we had such a Fun time!

It's amazing to enjoy a cruise through your eyes & taste buds  --  I think I gained 20#

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One final question. Since I’ve only cruised on the NCL Getaway (twice), I want to know what the equivalent to O’Sheehan’s Irish Pub is on the Encore? I kept seeing you talk about Food Republic, and was not sure if that was it, or that was the name of the buffet? Since we have just returned to Carnival from taking some time to try RCCL and NCL, I can now compare some areas, and what I feel are the better ones. We LOVED the buffet on the Getaway. Probably the best we’ve ever had at sea, when compared to RCCL and Carnival. And having a full service 24 hour complimentary restaurant such as O’Sheehans was something I have not experienced on the other two lines, and miss that. I do prefer Carnival for other reasons, price point on a retirement budget being one big one, but if I had to choose another line to cruise, it would be NCL. Once again, thank you for taking us along on a fabulous cruise. 

• Like 2

On 12/2/2019 at 11:26 AM, Shidah said:

Omg, the middle one is especially disturbing.  What is all the dark stuff on their toes??   

That appears to be an African-American person. That "dark stuff" is called melanin.

Sigh.

Signed -- Another African-American with "dark stuff" on her toes

• Like 9

Standing out in front of work now, and no one is even here yet... I really didn't want to get out of bed this morning, and I was this close to calling out... I guess that wouldn't look good after being out since before Thanksgiving... Back to the grind... Hopefully, I can start tabulating the names for my traditional thank you list, but it may take a few days. Oh, and I guess I need to start my Christmas shopping at some point...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

As the train was approaching my station, I could see my apartment building out the window, and I knew that I was home... A couple of seconds later, I could see my workplace out the window, and the post cruise depression really set in... As soon as I take a shower, I'm going to try to find something to eat, as I haven't had a bite nor a sip of anything since I was on the ship... I'll try to get to some final thoughts soon, but first I have to go work for a few hours at my part time job... Back to reality, indeed...

Thank you all for following along on my epic journey there and back again... When I get a chance, I'll tabulate all of the usernames of those who commented along the way, and I will personally thank every single one of you... You still have a chance to respond now, before I put the list together...

Again, thanks.........

Awe Sid! Thanks so much taking precious vacation time to review for us!  I loved experiencing the ship with you and now I too have vacation blues!   We are on the encore out of NYC next June and we are very excited!  We are motorhome travelers so this is a treat for us / me specifically since I do all the cooking!  Cannot wait to be pampered!  Thanks again, you rock!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, eileeshb said:

that shot looks like one commonly served in Ireland called a baby Guinness, but we’d have tia Maria or kahlua in the bottom part so it looks like a Guinness in miniature.

btw everyone moaning about bare feet on furniture try  being allergic to the aloe Vera everyone slathers all over themselves and leaves behind on the furniture... I had a really bad breakout from it on the back of my legs after sitting on a vinyl chair in the atrium on breakaway. 

My rule is to always wear long pants when going somewhere public.  This, after reading reports on what is found on public seating:  fecal matter, e coli, staph..., and never sit on your bed on the same pants or put anything that touched a public seat on a kitchen counter.  No, I'm not a huge germaphobe, but that stuff is just nasty.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

One final question. Since I’ve only cruised on the NCL Getaway (twice), I want to know what the equivalent to O’Sheehan’s Irish Pub is on the Encore? I kept seeing you talk about Food Republic, and was not sure if that was it, or that was the name of the buffet?  

On Encore and other ships, it’s The Local. The decor is lighter but otherwise it’s the same 24/7 bar food favorites. Food Republic is an Asian fusion specialty restaurant and I highly recommend the miso black cod skewers, so tasty...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, coastcat said:

On Encore and other ships, it’s The Local. The decor is lighter but otherwise it’s the same 24/7 bar food favorites. Food Republic is an Asian fusion specialty restaurant and I highly recommend the miso black cod skewers, so tasty...

Thank you. Is Food Republic complimentary? I generally only dine in the complimentary restaurants. 

• Like 1

Another great review as always, Sid!  I'm booked on the Encore in March so was really looking forward to reading.   I was out of town, so wasn't able to follow "live" from Thursday on, but great to hear all about the trip!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GirlWriter said:

That appears to be an African-American person. That "dark stuff" is called melanin.

Sigh.

Signed -- Another African-American with "dark stuff" on her toes

OMG, I’m so sorry, that was my comment, and I didn’t realize that from the photo.  Thank you for pointing this out, and again my apologies.

• Like 4

Question for anyone really?  I'm sailing in June to Bermuda 7 night cruise.  I was able to get the free specialty dining plan but it does not specify how many nights that is for.  Does anyone know how that works?  Also, should I upgrade my two kids to the specialty dining plan?  They are teens but they are not big eaters and they are super active.  I have the feeling they are going to be running around the ship and may not even want to eat with us.  Thoughts? Thanks to all.

2 hours ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

I thought that NCL removed the upcharge for surf and turf, is this not the case or did they reinstitute it?  Is it only for the Encore?  Is it only for Cagney's?  Is there an upcharge at Ocean Blue as well?

I believe there's an upcharge at both for surf and turf, as well as the tiger shrimp cocktail and crab cake at Cagney's...

2 hours ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

I thought that NCL removed the upcharge for surf and turf, is this not the case or did they reinstitute it?  Is it only for the Encore?  Is it only for Cagney's?  Is there an upcharge at Ocean Blue as well?

It's fleetwide I believe, we had the upcharge on our cruise on the POA in November and there was a recent thread about it.

Enjoyed your review as always Sid, look forward to the next one!  🙂

• Like 2