Cruise Critic Community
kochleffel

Romaine lettuce

Caesar salad, which is made with romaine, is a staple of dinner menus on some cruise lines. Right now the US government is advising not to eat romaine from Salinas, California, which is where most of the US supply in the fall is grown. Romaine from other California counties is considered OK.

Last season there was a recall of romaine from the Yuma, Arizona, area plus the neighboring part of California, where most of the US supply in the winter is grown. Since then there have been improvements in tracking of shipments, so future recalls are likely to be for smaller areas rather than the production of an entire region.

Has anyone who is now, or has just been, on a cruise departing from North America noticed whether Caesar salad is still being offered? Cruises departing from Europe obtain fresh produce there (some of it is from Africa, the rest from Europe), although much of the other provisioning (staples, meat) for US-based cruise lines may be from the US.

I have often ordered Caesar salad on cruise ships, although I rarely eat it anywhere else. I have a booking for January from Fort Lauderdale, by which time the production will have shifted to Yuma, and I'll be watching news very carefully before and during the cruise.

Ships calling at US ports must meet the USPH requirements for food sanitation, and this includes soaking all "ready to eat" foods like produce in a chlorine solution prior to prep or serving.

I am certain any and all foodstuffs will be scrutinized very carefully before being accepted by the cruise lines for use on board. If romaine is on board your ship I am certain it will be from a verified and trusted source as the cruise lines would not want to run any health risk.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I am going to let the cruise line worry about the safety of their food -- including romaine lettuce. Something inside me says they don't want issues with bad lettuce or any other food. If I have to worry about a cruise line ignoring known food issues I need to stop cruising.  I could be wrong in my assumption but going to take my chances and eat romaine if it is on the menu.

I would have thought that romaine grown in Florida would be prevalent within the state...and purveyors would furnish it to the ships as needed.

Well...maybe....or not...here is an informative link to an article with a Florida source.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/fl-ne-lettuce-recall-20191125-xvp62faozvdxbcsgotclp6htje-story.html

We were on Princess last time there was a romaine issue ... from that point on, until the scare ended, no more romaine buffet, MDR, etc.  It was nowhere on the ship.

Caesar Salad made with iceberg lettuce

Edited by pms4104

9 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We just came off a Celebrity cruise and they are still serving Caesar salad.  We had it several times.

And survived!
I can't see a cruise line taking the slightest risk over any possibility of food poisoning.
Though they do have the usual disclaimers, e.g. shellfish.

20 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Ships calling at US ports must meet the USPH requirements for food sanitation, and this includes soaking all "ready to eat" foods like produce in a chlorine solution prior to prep or serving.

And people keep on wondering, after you point out how it is not an issue.

😄

Thanks.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

And people keep on wondering, after you point out how it is not an issue.

😄

Thanks.

...maybe many just don't realize his background and why he is the authority that he is - which is a shame as he is one of the most informative and knowledgeable posters on CC.  I for one always appreciate his responses and learn a lot from him.

Just home from Costco. They are selling Salinas produced romaine. Could the recall have been canceled, or very finely pointed at just one producer?

The CDC page (on this topic) advises not to eat any Romaine (regardless of use by date) from growers located in Salinas.  According to our local supermarket, although the CDC has issued this warning they have not technically recalled all the Romaine from Salinas so it is still being sold.  You will not find any in our home :).  Here is a link to the CDC Page:

https://www.cdc.gov/ecoli/2019/o157h7-11-19/index.html

Hank

No reason not to use the chlorine-solution method at home. Do it ahead of time to drip dry (the chlorine evaporates) or get a lettuce-dryer or both.

13 hours ago, crystalspin said:

No reason not to use the chlorine-solution method at home. Do it ahead of time to drip dry (the chlorine evaporates) or get a lettuce-dryer or both.

Since you have drinkable water in your house, you can rinse with fresh water after the chlorine dip.  Just wait a couple of minutes