Comforts of home

desiree741

21 hours ago, desiree741 said:

Does anyone bring anything on their cruise from home that’s not a traditional travel item? I know Some brings fans but I am really going back and forth about my pillow.  My pillow is a very squishy foam type pillow that I I’m afraid I won’t sleep well without. I’m  not flying, and I have room in my suit case but figure it’s kind of weird... 🤷🏻‍♀️🤔

My sister/BIL brought a LARGE suitcase filled with only pillows (and maybe an afghan) on a 14-day Alaska cruise. At least the big bag didn't weigh much! Their other packing was fairly minimalist, but they know what they need to be comfortable.

As far as the initial question, our last three flying trips have been on VERY low-allowance airlines. We did check one bag home from Europe, after a transAtlantic cruise + time on ground in Copenhagen, but that was pretty much strictly to have enough clothes! The things I pack that not everyone does, although they are sold in travel catalogs, are the snap-corner catchall trays for the nightstand. 

11 hours ago, SRF said:

Short timer. 😄

64 and started at 2. 😄

😂😂. SRF! Ya got me beat!  I remember it was PSA (out of So Cal to Sacramento) and I chose a seat that faced backwards .... ugh...  I felt SO special though, this was 1972. 

Do any Airlines even place seats facing the tail of the plane anymore?! 😳

11 hours ago, SRF said:

24 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

I think some of the fancy new fully reclining seats in Upper Class are placed alternating front-back facing... 

I'll look sharper next time as we are herded from the curtained-off rear of the plane!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

I think some of the fancy new fully reclining seats in Upper Class are placed alternating front-back facing... 

I'll look sharper next time as we are herded from the curtained-off rear of the plane!

😁😂.  It was my 1st flight & all, nothing then to compare it with, but my memory tells me my head & tummy felt "icky" after the flight.  Even with a choice, I 'll stick to facing forward😀

Edited by Markmom18

3 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

😂😂. SRF! Ya got me beat!  I remember it was PSA (out of So Cal to Sacramento) and I chose a seat that faced backwards .... ugh...  I felt SO special though, this was 1972. 

OMG, I remember PSA and those backwards facing seats.  SWA carried them for awhile too.  They were very strange during take off because you were kind of looking downhill at the rest of the passengers.  Lol.  

I sleep with one of the shaped neck pillows at home; I don't bring it due to size but I have a couple of travel sized pillows that just fit under my neck; I usually bring one, especially one that attaches to my luggage with a toggle so it doesn't take up suitcase space.

I just can't use huge fluffy pillows.

12 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

My first was Northwest Orient Boeing 377 (piston engines and props) to Hawaii.  About 1957.

British Airways has rearward facing Business class seats.  2 - 4 - 2.  Window and middle face rearward.  Aisles face forward.

United Business has each row alternate forward and rearward facing.

Those are the only ones I can think of.

3 hours ago, SRF said:

So while on the ocean, you use a machine to make fake ocean sounds?????? 😄

you got it, my usurping friend.  Since sleeping with the slider open brings bedlam,commotion and   Allstate Commercial - Douglas Fir

Edited by c-boy
  • Thanks 1

I don't bring my pillow. I like to consider myself adaptable and resilient, able to deal with all kinds of "things" that are not exactly like they are at home. I can sleep in room that's not dark or one that's not quiet. (In fact, I just spent a night in a hotel in Ravenna, in a room facing the main piazza where there were people eating and drinking and walking around until the wee hours. Slept with my window open and it didn't bother me. 

That said, I believe (and let me try to say this delicately) that I am younger than a lot of the cruisers on this forum. Maybe it becomes less easy to adapt as one gets older. However, I also think a lot of it is in just challenging yourself to adapt periodically to new things and not always doing everything exactly the same way that one does at home.

At any rate, I say "live and let live". If someone else needs to bring their pillow in order to sleep well and thus enjoy their vacation more, then have at it!

On 11/29/2019 at 4:48 AM, John Bull said:

Bear in mind Bob's comment - make sure your cabin steward is aware that it's yours so that the cover doesn't go in the general wash & end up in someone else's cabin.

I carry my own pillow on road trips and someone suggested using a pillow case that isn't white. Not as apt to forget it.

4 minutes ago, clo said:

I carry my own pillow on road trips and someone suggested using a pillow case that isn't white. Not as apt to forget it.

Also (hopefully) the non-white, possibly blue, would be a red flag to the room steward that it's not property of the cruise line.

Mac

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I don't bring my pillow. I like to consider myself adaptable and resilient, able to deal with all kinds of "things" that are not exactly like they are at home. I can sleep in room that's not dark or one that's not quiet. (In fact, I just spent a night in a hotel in Ravenna, in a room facing the main piazza where there were people eating and drinking and walking around until the wee hours. Slept with my window open and it didn't bother me. 

That said, I believe (and let me try to say this delicately) that I am younger than a lot of the cruisers on this forum. Maybe it becomes less easy to adapt as one gets older. However, I also think a lot of it is in just challenging yourself to adapt periodically to new things and not always doing everything exactly the same way that one does at home.

At any rate, I say "live and let live". If someone else needs to bring their pillow in order to sleep well and thus enjoy their vacation more, then have at it!

'The interesting thing, the majority of people I see carrying their pillow on flights are young people.

Maybe the older ones are smart enough to put in their luggage. 😄

But I am like you.  I can deal with it.  

• Like 1

I carry a big, flattish crab stuffed toy. It makes a great pillow. It also comes in handy to give to scared children, so they have something to clutch during the flight. It's been years, and I have never had a child keep Crumpy. After the flight, they come up and tell me how he did during the flight.

*just to head this off;  Yes, I make sure the parents are ok with me handing Crumpy Crab off to their child.

Edited by Bizmark'sMom
  • Like 3