Cruise Critic Community

Typically purchase comprehensive trip insurance for each trip. Never used GeoBlue before. Looked at quotes for a trekker choice annual policy VS a single trip policy. The single trip policy was significantly more expensive. Even if just do one cruise a year would the GeoBlue annual policy be the most cost effective? Both age 65 and live in Kansas. Typically cruise to Europe once a year for up to 30 days.

Thanks for your help Steve.

Rick

On 11/28/2019 at 11:07 PM, rdt10 said:

Typically purchase comprehensive trip insurance for each trip. Never used GeoBlue before. Looked at quotes for a trekker choice annual policy VS a single trip policy. The single trip policy was significantly more expensive. Even if just do one cruise a year would the GeoBlue annual policy be the most cost effective? Both age 65 and live in Kansas. Typically cruise to Europe once a year for up to 30 days.

Thanks for your help Steve.

Rick

Hi Rick,

I have three questions:

1) What is the shortest length of time you will be on a trip?

2) Will any trips completely take place within a 12 month period of time?

3) Do you want trip cancellation coverage?

Steve

15 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Rick,

I have three questions:

1) What is the shortest length of time you will be on a trip?

2) Will any trips completely take place within a 12 month period of time?

3) Do you want trip cancellation coverage?

Steve

1. 12 days. Max 30 days.

2. Yes

3. No, just looking at GeoBlue for more medical coverage. May still get a comprehensive single trip policy, but most do not have much medical coverage or require an add on to increase medical/evacuation.

Thanks.

22 hours ago, rdt10 said:

1. 12 days. Max 30 days.

2. Yes

3. No, just looking at GeoBlue for more medical coverage. May still get a comprehensive single trip policy, but most do not have much medical coverage or require an add on to increase medical/evacuation.

Thanks.

> just looking at GeoBlue for more medical coverage. May still get a comprehensive single trip policy

If you think there's a good chance you will get a comprehensive single trip policy for each trip, I see no benefit to pay extra for a GeoBlue plan.

> but most do not have much medical coverage or require an add on to increase medical/evacuation

All the plans we would recommend for someone who is 65 or older will have more medical and evacuation coverage than you will need.

I have a question:

- What is your medical plan in the USA? Medicare, TriCare, a Union medical plan, a retiree medical plan, no medical plan or some other type of a medical / reimbursement plan?

1 hour ago, iamtrustworthy said:

> just looking at GeoBlue for more medical coverage. May still get a comprehensive single trip policy

If you think there's a good chance you will get a comprehensive single trip policy for each trip, I see no benefit to pay extra for a GeoBlue plan.

> but most do not have much medical coverage or require an add on to increase medical/evacuation

All the plans we would recommend for someone who is 65 or older will have more medical and evacuation coverage than you will need.

I have a question:

- What is your medical plan in the USA? Medicare, TriCare, a Union medical plan, a retiree medical plan, no medical plan or some other type of a medical / reimbursement plan?

Medicare

7 hours ago, rdt10 said:

Medicare

Are you covered by Medicare with a supplement you bought on your own or on a former employers' retiree health plan? Or do you have an Advantage plan?

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo

18 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Are you covered by Medicare with a supplement you bought on your own or on a former employers' retiree health plan? Or do you have an Advantage plan?

Regular Medicare with United Health AARP supplemental plan.

13 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Rick and Joyce,

Do you need coverage for pre-existing medical conditions?

Steve

I prefer pre-existing waivers and usually buy insurance close to booking, but our next 2 cruises to Europe were booked on-board as place holders so did not buy trip insurance at that time. Looking for coverage for these cruises in 2020 and 2021. If pre-existing waiver is available I would prefer it but we don't have any medical conditions that are not stable.

Does the GeoBlue policy provide better medical coverage than the comprehensive plans.

Edited by rdt10

1 hour ago, rdt10 said:

I prefer pre-existing waivers and usually buy insurance close to booking, but our next 2 cruises to Europe were booked on-board as place holders so did not buy trip insurance at that time. Looking for coverage for these cruises in 2020 and 2021. If pre-existing waiver is available I would prefer it but we don't have any medical conditions that are not stable.

Does the GeoBlue policy provide better medical coverage than the comprehensive plans.

Do either of those cruises in 2020 and 2021 have dates assigned to them?

3 minutes ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Do either of those cruises in 2020 and 2021 have dates assigned to them?

Yes, but the initial deposit was in 2017, so past the normal pre-existing condition waiver period. We have moved the initial bookings several times. We plan to take these in Aug. 2020 and Sept. 2021.

51 minutes ago, rdt10 said:

Yes, but the initial deposit was in 2017, so past the normal pre-existing condition waiver period. We have moved the initial bookings several times. We plan to take these in Aug. 2020 and Sept. 2021.

When will you pay the Final Payment for each of these?

> Does the GeoBlue policy provide better medical coverage than the comprehensive plans

Not better, but it covers all pre-existing conditions. You can get them up to the day before you leave so there's no good reason to get them way in advance.

7 minutes ago, iamtrustworthy said:

When will you pay the Final Payment for each of these?

May 2020 and June 2021.