Cruise Critic Community
Ace5614

Secret Doors

Does the Nieuw Statendam have the 'secret doors' in the front like the Carnival ships have?

Yes it does. Just like Koningsdam. Deck 5. All the way forward. Open that door and it leads to a nice observation deck with a hot tub. Just don't open any doors that have the sign stating that the door is for authorized personnel only and opening it is a security violation.

3 hours ago, SumoCitrus said:

Yes it does. Just like Koningsdam. Deck 5. All the way forward. Open that door and it leads to a nice observation deck with a hot tub. Just don't open any doors that have the sign stating that the door is for authorized personnel only and opening it is a security violation.

Thank you. I had no idea. We were on Koningsdam last year and are returning in February. Will search it out. 

13 hours ago, SumoCitrus said:

I thought that was the crew deck?

13 hours ago, SumoCitrus said:

Because the Nieuw Statendam is a sister ship to the Koningsdam, do you think it also has the same Deck 5 observation deck?   Hmmm.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

14 hours ago, SumoCitrus said:

I went out on this deck when we went through the locks leaving Amsterdam into the North Sea. Got some great pics.

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Because the Nieuw Statendam is a sister ship to the Koningsdam, do you think it also has the same Deck 5 observation deck?   Hmmm.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Well, if that wasn't reason enough, there's also observation with one's own eyes:

statendam.jpg

Edited by SumoCitrus

3 hours ago, SumoCitrus said:

Well, if that wasn't reason enough, there's also observation with one's own eyes:

Thank you for that!  I'm looking forward to exploring and finding the "secret" door.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

On 12/1/2019 at 6:58 PM, SumoCitrus said:

I was out there when we passed by Stromboli, and there were announcements about the open deck. Do you mean that I could have gone out there any time I wanted? Darn! I would have gone out there for much of our trip had I known.

I have no idea. I only went out there when it was open and the netting was removed from the top of the hot tub. I think given the likelihood for high winds, the deck is only really appropriate when the ship is in port.

I'm on the Oosterdam in February, on the 7th floor, 7004.  Anyone know what at the end of the hallway at the front?  Looking at the deck plan, it doesn't show rooms, just empty space...and the end of a hallway, and then it appears there's a deck space at the front on the other side of the wall.

Yes, there’s a door leading to a small deck space.  I used to pop out there every once in a while because no one ever used it.

27 minutes ago, Ace5614 said:

How about on decks 6 & 7 (below the bridge), 9 & 10 (above the bridge)?

On the Vista class ships there is a small forward deck space on decks 5,6,7 and 9.   The only time we used it was for viewing the entrance to the Panama Canal.

deck6.PNG

On 12/4/2019 at 8:28 AM, leerathje said:

I'm on the Oosterdam in February, on the 7th floor, 7004.  Anyone know what at the end of the hallway at the front?  Looking at the deck plan, it doesn't show rooms, just empty space...and the end of a hallway, and then it appears there's a deck space at the front on the other side of the wall.

The area in front on deck 7 is normally closed.  There are officer cabins between the passenger cabins and the front deck area deck 7 forward. The small front deck areas are usually closed off except areas like Glacier Bay or Canal due to security and safety.