Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
PG13

Zurich hotel, train and airport help

Husband and I are taking Viking Rhine Getaway disembarking in Basel. From there we're travel/tour to Lucerne using Tours by Locals. We'll be getting on the Golden pass train to Montreaux then on to Basel and finally Zurich over a 6 day period

#1 Easier question - we'll stay one night(I think) in Zurich. Do we stay near the airport or in town. Sometimes by the airport leaves you rather stranded with nothing to see and no where much to eat. It look like our flight will be late morning or early afternoon so we don't need to rush to the airport.  I rather think near old town might be nice.  Where have you stayed? 

#2 - We will be forwarding our large luggage to the Zurich bring our carry on for the train rides. Its a $12 fee plus since we'll be traveling 6 days. It says the luggage will await us in the lower level of the airport. Has anyone ever done this or had experience at this airport? I was wondering how difficult it will be to retrieve our luggage and get it to our gate. My husband has Parkinson's to the extent that luggage handling falls on me.  And, I need a wheelchair to get him through the airport expediently.

#3 - We may need help changing trains on the Golden Pass Scenic train, you have to off load and await the next train across the station? DH can walk but he's very slow, will there be help in the station, if I can, the only time 'll need to deal with this is Interlocken. Do you know if to get to the other side do you need to go down under and back up? That's how it was in other parts of Europe. Stairs are a problem yet. Thank you for any help you can give. Pat and Ken

I can only help with the hotel question.  We too had one night in Zurich between a Germany/Switzerland trip a couple of years ago.

I certainly wouldn't stay near the airport.  There is a fantastic airport train, and from memory it only takes around 10-15 minutes.  We stayed at the Sorrell Hotel Rutli.  It was very reasonably priced (by Swiss standards lol) and a really nice hotel.  It was an easy walk to the station for both the train from Lucerne and back to the airport.

We really enjoyed our day in Zurich.  There was plenty to see and do and nice restaurants for the first day, and the next day we caught the train to the Rhine Falls as our flight wasn't until later at night.

http://www.goldenpassline.ch/fr/useful-informations/ some helpful info at the link, not sure if you have seen it before? it seems you can pre book assistance. 

Switzerland is wonderful especially since they have well coordinated public transport and beautiful scenery.

We travelled there a few years ago and spent a month travelling on trains/boats/trams.

We based our selves in 4 different places and took trips from there.

Ask your travel agent to assist with pre booking assistance at the airport in Zurich.

Agree with staying in town not the airport.

Zurich is a lovely place by the lake and river.

Near the train station there is at least one hotel across the road that gets good reviews.

Have a great trip. 

We forwarded luggage from Basel to Zurich Flughaven station without any issues.  Retrieval was easy--pickup is one level up from the train station below the terminal.

10 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

We forwarded luggage from Basel to Zurich Flughaven station without any issues.  Retrieval was easy--pickup is one level up from the train station below the terminal.

Let me restate.  We'll get off on the train on a lower level, it is clear where you pick up your forwarded luggage, which is located one level up from the train level. From there how do you find your way to luggage check and flights? On the same level? I'm hoping they have luggage carts and a place to get help with husband.  Than you. Pat

15 hours ago, pully8 said:

Thank you, I will check the map near the train station. And, I will recheck the train web site about handicap help. I don't have a travel agent so I'll have to see if I can do it by myself by e-mail to set up assistance. I may have to pre-book our train tickets?  Or maybe I an do it the day were in Basel before leaving for Lucern. I hear they are very helpful.  I was planning to go there and pick up a Swiss Travel Pass for the week.Than you, Pat

15 hours ago, pully8 said:

http://www.goldenpassline.ch/fr/useful-informations/ some helpful info at the link, not sure if you have seen it before? it seems you can pre book assistance. 

Switzerland is wonderful especially since they have well coordinated public transport and beautiful scenery.

We travelled there a few years ago and spent a month travelling on trains/boats/trams.

We based our selves in 4 different places and took trips from there.

Ask your travel agent to assist with pre booking assistance at the airport in Zurich.

Agree with staying in town not the airport.

Zurich is a lovely place by the lake and river.

Near the train station there is at least one hotel across the road that gets good reviews.

Have a great trip. 

PG13: when you quote a post, make sure you click below the quote window before you start typing.  Otherwise you are putting your words in the quoted post.

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

PG13: when you quote a post, make sure you click below the quote window before you start typing.  Otherwise you are putting your words in the quoted post.

Or, if you want to put comments after each part of the quoted post, change the colour of your font so that it is recognizably different (and it also helps to put in some empty lines).

The other way to do this is to quote each part of the post that you are responding to, and use the + button to the left of the Quote button to add new parts. Then, as Jazzbeau points out, put your comments outside the text box of each quote. (Personally, I haven't figured this one out yet, but members do it all the time. 😀)