Now that I'm retired, I don't want to leave home

fyree39

Here we are 17 months after the last comment. I got my travel break, whether I wanted it or not, and now I've got 2 cruises booked for this year. Also going to Henderson, NV and Prescott, AZ for a fact-finding trip. Just got back from trips to Tehachapi, CA and Tampa, FL. I'd say we're ALL ready to travel again.

I tried volunteer work in the year after I retired, but I found that the paid employees seem to hand the lousiest jobs to the volunteers. Besides, it meant I had to set an alarm. I just ain't gonna do that anymore.

The aunt I used to visit passed away last December. I miss her and she was a great influence in my life, particularly my formative years.

During Covid I learned how to keep houseplants alive. Then I've been trying to keep my outside plants alive during these 118 degree days. I also learned how to bake no-knead bread, tried sourdough and gave up, cooked and baked with full-fat, full-sugar, full-flavor ingredients until I finally had to admit my cholesterol and BP were on the rise. Back to chicken and broccoli. 🙂

How's everyone else's retirement going?

• Like 1

Our travel regime changed 180 degrees post retirement from carefully planned to spontaneous.

Not unusual for us to buy one way tickets and being unsure of where we will end up. Or buying a ticket to Athens with a return from London, Paris or Rome because our plan is open.

Last time we cruised we were in Sicily. Saw a last minute cruise from Rome to BCN with excellent one way air home so we jumped on it.  All that was needed was a short LC plane ride to Rome.  All of cruises, except one, have been purchased spontaneously inside the final payment window.  One or two within a week of blast off.

We have done this in Europe, Africa, South and Central America, and in SE Asia.  We travel with carry on only -8KG.

Complete opposite to our pre retirement life of highly organized business and pleasure travel.  We are typically looking at three of four potential fall or winter trips at a time until we zero in on our top pick.  6-8 weeks in the Fall, 8-9 weeks in the winter, and more often than not some one week AI's with our daughter and family.

Our sweet spot is 14 day cruise. We have done 21 but we get tired of cruise line food/accommodation/environment by the end of two weeks.  More that two days at sea is our limit since going on one TA.

Edited by iancal

We did get to go on the "land" trip to South America in Jan'20), but all six of our retirement cruises were cancelled. Without travel to keep us busy and with our California home both perfected AND too far from family, we found and bought a very nice house in Utah and moved over the months from October to February. The pandemic did not make moving any easier!

Even though it is a very nice house, it has many projects to keep us busy until travel is feasible. I have us booked on Hawaii and South Pacific cruises (R/T San Diego) in both 2022 and 2023. Will probably cancel 2022 in October, so 2023 are backups!

Obviously, we have no problem with seadays! The back-to-back (different ships) will amount to 60 days in 2022 and 53 in 2023 (schedule allows for a B-2-B-2-B Mexican Riviera combo in 2022 but not 2023)(but the cabins I got for 2023 are more to our liking)! Either option will be our longest on a ship. But we never were eager to get off on any of our three transAtlantics. 

49 minutes ago, iancal said:

Our travel regime changed 180 degrees post retirement from carefully planned to spontaneous.

A bit envious, I am.  I have never been able to be spontaneous in making travel plans.  Maybe because I enjoy the planning and anticipation of the trip?  

17 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I tried volunteer work in the year after I retired, but I found that the paid employees seem to hand the lousiest jobs to the volunteers. Besides, it meant I had to set an alarm. I just ain't gonna do that anymore.

😄    Certainly understand why!  I have done quite a bit--and still do--volunteer work, but never in company with paid employees other than as a fund raiser for my Alma Mater.  The Staff with whom I work at my Alma Mater are thankful for the help of those of us who help them.  Quite a different relationship than yours, I suppose. 

The time when I need to set an alarm is when I need to arise early to make it to the airport in time to leave for a journey or when I am on a cruise and I need to arise early enough for breakfast on disembarkation morning or in order to make an early morning shore excursion.  

• Like 2

I traveled often during my working years and the opportunity to travel even more was a big reason why I retired early at 56. The pandemic knocked a big hole in my travel plans as it did for many others. Now I'm planning to make up for lost time. While I enjoy land tours occasionally to international destinations, cruises remain my favorite. At the moment I have three booked, the first one in January 2022. I had to renew my passport recently and am waiting to get the new one. If it comes in time, I plan on booking a year end cruise because January seems so far away. As long as I'm in good health I don't expect I'll ever tire of traveling. I love seeing new places and learning about the cultures of others. Sure, it's always good to get home after a trip. But it doesn't take long until I'm ready to go again.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 2:25 PM, rkacruiser said:

A bit envious, I am.  I have never been able to be spontaneous in making travel plans.  Maybe because I enjoy the planning and anticipation of the trip?  

😄    Certainly understand why!  I have done quite a bit--and still do--volunteer work, but never in company with paid employees other than as a fund raiser for my Alma Mater.  The Staff with whom I work at my Alma Mater are thankful for the help of those of us who help them.  Quite a different relationship than yours, I suppose. 

The time when I need to set an alarm is when I need to arise early to make it to the airport in time to leave for a journey or when I am on a cruise and I need to arise early enough for breakfast on disembarkation morning or in order to make an early morning shore excursion.  

Actually, I find that being spontaneous travelers can involve more work, more tentative  planning.   Pre covid we were in Greece for five weeks.  We had another two weeks that were open.   Our options came down to Cyprus, Israel, and Morocco.  We did research on all three, including air from Greece, then air from those three options to London where we picked up our flight home.  Same when we are in SE Asia when we fly into Thailand but keep our option open for both Vietnam, Malaysia, and on two occasions Australia.     Not to mention always planning where we want to go next, for how long, and how to get there when the answer is not clear.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, choose2cruz said:

As long as I'm in good health I don't expect I'll ever tire of traveling. I love seeing new places and learning about the cultures of others. Sure, it's always good to get home after a trip. But it doesn't take long until I'm ready to go again.

Your post describes me perfectly.  

3 hours ago, iancal said:

always planning where we want to go next, for how long, and how to get there when the answer is not clear.

That's me as well.

When I cruise, I always make a future cruise deposit.  Whatever onboard credits for doing so are appreciated.  But, such a deposit keeps me in the mode of:  what's next?  For me, that's a healthy frame of mind to have.  

• Like 1

I am always ready to go...anywhere.   Precovid my plan was to do a 2-3 week organized tour of India in January, then fly to meet my spouse in Bangkok for two months of snow birding.  Covid put that on hold.  Not even considering India at the moment.

I would be happy to travel for 4-5 months at a time.   Or longer.  Not so DW.  So we compromise on 2 months, twice per year plus some other short trips in between.  She misses the grandchildren, home, and gets tired of wearing the same old same old from her carry on bag!

DW gets an inkling of where we are going next when she sees me reading the Lonely Planet books.  Have one on Greece now, the newest one on Morocco arrives next month!

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have only been to Morocco once, visiting three cities, but, I'd go again.  I enjoyed my experience and the sites I visited.  

We are looking at 4-5 weeks in Morocco and a few weeks in Portugal.  We will fly to Morocco and home seven or eight weeks later from Lisbon on our return ticket. 

If we want to spend less time in Morocco we will ferry over to Spain or fly Lisbon.  Hopefully spring or fall of next year depending on covid.  Lots and lots of options.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 3:40 PM, iancal said:

We are looking at 4-5 weeks in Morocco

That sounds like a long time for this country.  But, I have not done the research that you have done that would cause you to consider such a time period.  Friends who went to Marrakesh said that they wished they could have spent more time there.  That's the way I felt about Rabat and had little time to see Casablanca.  

27 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

That sounds like a long time for this country.  But, I have not done the research that you have done that would cause you to consider such a time period.  Friends who went to Marrakesh said that they wished they could have spent more time there.  That's the way I felt about Rabat and had little time to see Casablanca.  

We will spend a few weeks in the south by the ocean, then  tour.   

We always have an alternate. If we want to move on there are many LC flights from Morocco to Portuagal or Spain. We like both and would find lot of interesting places to spend out time in either or in both.

Our only firm reservation will be for the flight home from Lisbon.  The seven weeks in between will very much be spontaneous travel w/ a rough idea of itinerary.  But we can change it up on a whim.

Edited by iancal

• 2 weeks later...

2020 was the longest I went without packing a suitcase in my adult life.  I unpacked my suitcase after a week of business travel the last week of January, 2020, and was getting ready to pack for another week of business travel in mid-March when seemingly overnight, the world came to a stop.  I work in live events, so for me, my world truly stopped dead in it's tracks.

Fortunately I didn't lose my job like so many of my friends in the industry.  I had a little meltdown--OK, a pretty big one--in March, 2021 as I was trying to pack to travel for the first event in over a year.  I couldn't remember how.  I couldn't remember all those little things I know I take along to try to ease some of the stress and create more normalcy while I'm on-site.  I couldn't find my name tag (of course it was where I always keep it, but I couldn't remember where that was and tore the house apart looking for it.)  I felt like I had never travelled before in my life.  I overpacked by 150%.  I was ashamed of how much crap I had lugged along--a weeks worth of extra shirts (I usually take one, two if it's shoulder season when the weather can change drastically day-to-day), an extra sweater (I never wear a sweater on-site--I have a lightweight company issued jacket with a ton of pockets!), a week of extra socks, four books--like I would have time for reading...  The list went on and on.

Five weeks later I packed for another event, and two weeks after that yet another.  I nailed it both times.

I've already begun packing for vacation this year, and we don't leave for 3.5 months.  I knew I needed to get some cold weather items for this trip, and it being summer, everyone had winter stuff 50% off (or more!) so I wanted to take advantage.  Also this trip has us in weather that could be down to zero and up to the mid-80's, so planning was crucial in order to pack as lightly as possible.  Plus I'm just a little bit excited to be traveling again!

My wanderlust has increased as I've gotten older.  But I have a feeling there will come a day where I no longer want to do the pack/unpack each day.  It will probably come in waves.  The first 3-4 years post retirement we will be all over the world and typically gone 3-6 months at a time.

By the time we're 70, I think it will be more long cruises so less flying and packing.  I can also see us buying a Sprinter conversion and begin to travel the US and Canada so we don't need to pack and unpack as much.  

But who knows.  Life can come at you fast as we've al learned in the past year, so make every day count.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our first trip after retirement was seven months.  We were homeless after selling up and putting our possessions in storage.

We booked a O/W flight to Portugal in early August.  The only firm plans we had were for a SA Safari and rental car trip in November and a January condo rental in Costa Rica.  A day or so prior to flying to Porto we booked a last minute Med cruise from Rome leaving in 10 days.  

After that we snagged three other last minute cruises.  A TA, a Christmas cruise, and a March Caribbean cruise.  

Our experience is that this type of travel requires more work than did our pre retirement structured vacations.

• 4 weeks later...

I think we travel less since retirement. When we were both working we seemed to pack 3 or 4 week long cruises or hotel vacations in a year. Work always seemed to add pressure to be home. Now we take 1 or 2 2-week cruises a year. We like the extra time to relax. We have not been away from home for over 2 years largely due to cancellations and COVID uncertainty.  We have a Hawaii cruise planned for October 2022 and after that we’ll see what the possibilities are.