Just off the Edge

landbc

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

Yes, that would make sense to change the name. The SV are the only class of balcony to sell out on our booked cruise and they’ve been booked out for months. Plenty and I mean plenty, of all types of IV’s available though. 

Not booked out on our upcoming January cruise.

On 12/2/2019 at 12:19 PM, landbc said:

Hello all! I don't post here much, but wanted to give a quick Pro's/Con's review of my families Edge sailing last week. First of all, we are a family of three. My wife and I are in our early forties and my daughter is eight. This is our fifth cruise with Celebrity.

Pro's

• Embarkation at Port Everglades was amazing! No more than 20 minutes from leaving the parking garage to being on the ship. I had a noon boarding time and showed up around 11:10AM. I was on the ship by 11:30. 
  • Ship was very modern, clean and aesthetically pleasing. Personally, I liked a lot of the artwork and enjoyed the overall looks of the ship.
  • Select dining was nice. Made reservations for all four restaurants the first four nights. Ate in the Normandie the first night and in the Tuscan the second night. We fell in love with our waiter and sommelier, and stayed with the Tuscan all week. We did have lunch in the Cosmopolitan both sea days. Big shout out to Slavitka, our head server and Sebastian, our Sommelier in the Tuscan. Probably the best restaurant staff we have had on a cruise. Both were amazing. I won't go into food, since it's so subjective, but my whole family very much enjoyed our meals. Some better than others, but all good.
  • We felt like the breakfasts and lunches that we had in the OVC was improved over our previous Celebrity cruises. Hot food was always hot and cold food was always cold. Loved the hand washing station right outside the OVC. They should be mandatory on all ships.
  • Overall, we enjoyed the shows in the theater. The two female lead vocalists in the performances were fantastic, their two male counterparts just mediocre. The accompanying acrobatics were always a highlight for my daughter. 
  • My daughter liked the pool. It was a nice size compared to the other ships we have been on. 

Con's

• First let me say that we enjoyed our Infinite Veranda stateroom. But, like many others have said, they are not a veranda. I don't think Celebrity should be allowed to use the term veranda when selling these rooms. They are a wonderful oceanview sunroom, with a sliding window, but nothing more. The light they let in during the day is fantastic and the shade does a wonderful job of blocking out the light when needed. We put our window down for a few minutes every day, but you lose your A/C and everything fogs up in your room. 
  • Not enough bars or bar staff on a ship of this size. We aren't huge drinkers, but always like a pre-dinner martini(more on this below), wine at dinner and a beer by the pool once in a while. 
  • They ruined the martini bar and grand foyer all in one ship. The Edge has combined two of the most iconic locations on their cruise ships and I personally don't like it. I want the two to  each have their own space and audience. 
  • Eden was different. I liked the space, but I didn't like the drinks or the incense smell they pipe in. Some days the smell was better than others. I never went in late at night, so I didn't get to see any of the performers. It's a big space that they could do so much more with. It was empty most of the time.
  • The Club is way too small to hold shows in. I tried to take my daughter to the "Mirage" acrobatic show there twice and could never get a seat to see the stage. Their can't be more than 50-75 decent seats in the club to see the show. I'm not sure why they don't do these in the theater.
  • My daughter hated the kids club. She loved the Summit this summer but hated the Edge. The activities and the staff were way better on the Summit. 

We all have our opinions and these are just a few quick gut reactions to my 7 days on the Edge. The Edge is one and done for me. I probably won't be back unless it's a price too good to pass up. For me and my family, we will stick with the older ships in the fleet. That being said, any day on any cruise ship is better than a day in the office!

Thanks for reading!

Agree as well. Plus the loss of the sky lounge is a huge disappointment!  And no Rendezvous lounge also.  We are one and done too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aml3679 said:

Thanks for your helpful review.

The Edge looks a little modern for my taste.  Also, I love a real veranda and not the infinity one.  That being said, I think that I will stick to the Equinox.

If you can swing it, sailing on the edge in a sky suite (s1 or S2 ) is a nicer experience.  The problem with those who do not want an infinite balcony and want either AQ or a balcony cabin, is that they are limited in number so many are in infinite balcony cabins by default- Since the ship has other great attributes, people accept those dark smallish cabins.  If I couldn't budget the sky suite or better, I would book an outside window cabin.

We enjoy the Equinox also!  Wonderful ship.

Edited by Cruise a holic

We didn't think our IV stateroom ( bed by " balc")  was dark or felt  "smallish" at all.

BUT, we kept the  bi folds open all the time to make it into one integrated space.  With the  cumbersome bi-folds closed with the frosting, they might well feel tight. 

By contrast, our Sunset Veranda was totally spacious. The space where the IV would be was part of the room,  a little sitting area, plus a huge outside  ocean view balcony.  Also had nice drapes for privacy. Worked well in one  port where our aft  was  adjacent to the aft of a Carnival ship where crew had their ouside break  area!