Cruise Critic Community
lisabickford

Holland America - Nieuw Amsterdam SB 6064 - room for 4 adults?

Hello All, New to Cruise Critic and looking for some advice.

I booked a Holland America 12-day Adriatic Dream Cruise from Venice to Rome in August 2020 on Nieuw Amsterdam.

Initially I booked 2 rooms, an SB (6064) for my husband and I and an SS (6066) for my mother and my 20 year old son.

The plan was to  have my son  stay in whichever room he prefers, and give my mom some space, but my husband says there must be a less expensive way to accomplish these 2 goals.

Any advise from seasoned cruisers who travel with their mother and their son and husband? 

How much room do you need to keep everyone happy?

Can all 4 of us fit in a single SB that sleeps 4? 

I think that would be the least expensive, but perhaps wouldn't make for the most fun cruise for everyone.

Any help, advice or experiential insights would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Lisa

Here are some pics of SB 6064 on the Eurodam, which is sister ship to the Nieuw Amsterdam so it will be the same room.  I, personally, wouldn’t want 4 adults in a room but I’ve seen posts where others are perfectly fine with it.  Some made it work by using the shower facilities in the workout area I believe.  I’ll see if I can find that thread for you.

13 hours ago, lisabickford said:

Initially I booked 2 rooms, an SB (6064) for my husband and I and an SS (6066) for my mother and my 20 year old son.

Whoever is officially booked into the SB will qualify for breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill.  Whoever is in the SS will not qualify for that.  So ..... one thing you might consider is moving your mom and son to a regular verandah room or even an oceanview room to reduce costs. 

Looking at the deck plans I don't see any SBs that are quads.  There are a few that are triples. 

Too late to edit my other post.

On deck 6, all the way aft, are 2 SBs, that connect to verandah cabins.  If you have to have connecting rooms, have a look at those.  There may be some savings

Edited by VennDiagram

@lisabickford Howdy! emo22.gif

Thank you for your first post on the Ask a Cruise Question forum! 👍 

Since your inquiry concerns your cruise on a particular cruise line, I have moved your thread to the Holland America Line forum where it will be on-topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have or are going to sail on the Nieuw Amsterdam frequent this forum and hopefully will be able to help you.

For finding fellow Cruise Critic members sailing with you on your cruise, please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call . 

The Roll Call thread for your cruise is the place for you to get to know the other Cruise Critic members sailing with you before the cruise. Also, your fellow Roll Call members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread. Your Roll Call thread is the ONLY place on Cruise Critic where you and your fellow Roll Call members may post personal ads about sharing tours, excursions, transportation etc. with each other. There is a "captive audience" since you are all sailing together! emo3.gif You will receive a much better response to your share request if you take some time to read the entire Roll Call thread, post an introductory post about yourself, and continue on to get to know the other members and allow them to get to know YOU first before you post your share request. That is the spirit of our Roll Calls.

Please feel free to browse Cruise Critic Community. Read a few threads in various forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads on the top of the first page of threads in a forum. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Anytime you want to start a new thread on any forum, make sure you are on the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This greatly helps the members that know the information so they will reply to you. It is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic or concerning one cruise line, ship, port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. emo3.gif  You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship, port or sail date in your inquiry if it will help the members answer.

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to go to our Member Cruise Reviews section and submit your review for publication!

I sincerely hope this will be helpful to a new member and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

17 hours ago, lisabickford said:

Hello All, New to Cruise Critic and looking for some advice.

I booked a Holland America 12-day Adriatic Dream Cruise from Venice to Rome in August 2020 on Nieuw Amsterdam.

The plan was to  have my son  stay in whichever room he prefers, and give my mom some space, but my husband says there must be a less expensive way to accomplish these 2 goals.

Any advise from seasoned cruisers who travel with their mother and their son and husband? 

How much room do you need to keep everyone happy?

Can all 4 of us fit in a single SB that sleeps 4? 

I think that would be the least expensive, but perhaps wouldn't make for the most fun cruise for everyone.

Any help, advice or experiential insights would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Lisa

According to the Nieuw Amsterdam deck plan I found online, there is an I-6066 (which is an inside cabin) across the hall from SB 6064. That's about as cheap as you can get. But I couldn't find the SS-6066 you were referring to.

On 12/3/2019 at 12:28 PM, VennDiagram said:

Looking at the deck plans I don't see any SBs that are quads.  There are a few that are triples.

Most Neptune suites have a sofa bed for 2 people.  The ones listed as triples have a sofa bed that only sleeps 1 person.

To the OP: I guess whether you all will "fit" depends on whether or not 2 people want to stay on a sofa bed for that many nights and how good you are at sharing the space.  The cabin itself is pretty spacious.  It would be doable if you're used to bunking together, I think, but I don't know that I'd want to do it for 12 days.  It's a pretty port intensive itinerary, though, so if you plan to not be in your room much, that could make a difference.

I personally like the suggestion to get two rooms: either the one SB and a category lower than the SS or just go with two lower category rooms if you don't want to deal with "suite" versus "non-suite" differences.  Neptune and Pinnacle suites get the suite amenities.  The Signature Suite is just a bigger room.

Edited by bEwAbG

Just wanted to thank everyone for your great input!  I ended up booking I-6066 for my mom as a single and moving my son into SB 6064 with us.  That saves us over $5000 and made my husband very happy, giving me back some budget for land excursions.   The 3 of us did a 7 day Galapagos in a much small Celebrity Xpedition XS 230Sq ft cabin, so I think we'll be good with this arrangement.  Thank you to everyone who offered advice!  I very much appreciate it!

9 minutes ago, lisabickford said:

Just wanted to thank everyone for your great input!  I ended up booking I-6066 for my mom as a single and moving my son into SB 6064 with us.  That saves us over $5000 and made my husband very happy, giving me back some budget for land excursions.   The 3 of us did a 7 day Galapagos in a much small Celebrity Xpedition XS 230Sq ft cabin, so I think we'll be good with this arrangement.  Thank you to everyone who offered advice!  I very much appreciate it!

A great solution - that way you won't have to worry about the 4 of you sharing 1 bathroom at peak times.  It also gives your Mom some privacy - your son can deal with sharing with his parents for a while.  LOL

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

With 4 adults in a cabin, sleeping is not the issue, it's the single bathroom.   

There were five of us growing up in a house that had a single bathroom.  If you're used to it, it can work.  It just takes a little planning to make sure everyone is up and ready on time.