Cruise Critic Community

Does anyone keep undies, bras and camisoles set aside just for cruising? I have had so many nice bras end up washed and ironed with the hooks smashed to smithereens. I know the laundry works hard on our requests, but asking for washing in cold water and getting panties back my grand daughter couldn't fit into leaves me feeling frazzled.

So, do you hand wash those fancy undies, send the "used to be fancy" but now faded/frayed to the laundry, buy less expensive items just for cruising, bring enough unmentionables for the entire trip, or just bring disposables (kidding on that) When you cruise for several weeks, and in our case, an upcoming 6 weeks, I don't want to see my undies hanging on a clothes line in our suite.

I wash my unmentionables in the bathroom sink and I do hang them in the shower on the line to dry..................I would not send those things to the laundry.....

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Does anyone keep undies, bras and camisoles set aside just for cruising? I have had so many nice bras end up washed and ironed with the hooks smashed to smithereens. I know the laundry works hard on our requests, but asking for washing in cold water and getting panties back my grand daughter couldn't fit into leaves me feeling frazzled.

So, do you hand wash those fancy undies, send the "used to be fancy" but now faded/frayed to the laundry, buy less expensive items just for cruising, bring enough unmentionables for the entire trip, or just bring disposables (kidding on that) When you cruise for several weeks, and in our case, an upcoming 6 weeks, I don't want to see my undies hanging on a clothes line in our suite.

I wash my upper unmentionables myself.  Never send them out.

Never had a problem with the other undergarments, honestly.  I ask for cold water and low heat and so far, so good.  

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

I wash my upper unmentionables myself.  Never send them out.

Never had a problem with the other undergarments, honestly.  I ask for cold water and low heat and so far, so good.  

Lol.. low heat. on QM2, my lace came back melted!

Just now, Seasick Sailor said:

Lol.. low heat. on QM2, my lace came back melted!

I haven’t sailed on Cunard - I’m just referencing HAL’s laundry.  It’s far superior to Oceania’s for example (which I have sailed).

15 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Or,  you could just go 'commando' and leave the unmentionables at home.

I always bring soap so I can hand wash undies in the sink.  I hand wash them before I go to bed, wrap them in a towel to remove most of the moisture, hang them on the clothesline in the shower/tub area and they are dry by morning.  You should only have to do this twice per week.  I also bring a plastic hanger should I need to hand wash a shirt.

I’m not going to have my unmentionables hanging in the shower for the room stewards to have to dodge every time they clean the tub.  I don’t bring things that are very expensive (not that I own any) and I don’t want to mess with it. The last cruise I had some come up missing which I wasn’t happy about but things happen.  I didn’t lose any sleep over it.  I fasten any hooks before I throw them in the bag.  They do tend to get a bit “grayish” in color.  

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Or,  you could just go 'commando' and leave the unmentionables at home.

I would imagine that the median age of women on HAL is about 60 so going commando, especially braless, would raise a few eyebrows. :classic_biggrin: I definitely wouldn't be able to run or walk fast. 😀

I wash them (including stockings) like oaktreerb in the evening and normally everything is dry in the morning. And I always assumed stewards would see too much in cabins to even think about nice and neat "unmentionables" if those had to hang a little bit longer.

Edited by MAVIP

9 minutes ago, dot73 said:

I would imagine that the median age of women on HAL is about 60 so going commando, especially braless, would raise a few eyebrows. :classic_biggrin: I definitely wouldn't be able to run or walk fast. 😀

Oh jeez dot73! Me too! I'd hate to burn someone's eyeballs out walking/jogging around with nothin on my nether-regions!

OK, I never thought I'd be responding to this type of topic but here goes.......

We take what we call "one more times" on trips......It's underwear that we are ready to toss.  We bring them and wear them and toss them.  

We've also been known to take "one more time" pants and shirts for the day before arrival.  Travel in them and then throw them away. 

I take a small bottle of Woolite and hand wash every few days.  I have microfiber unders and they dry in a matter of hours.  My uppers, stockings and camisoles take a bit longer but use the line in the shower for as long as it takes to dry.  Never send those to the laundry.  Do use the laundry for other things and they come back nicely washed, pressed and folded or hung on hangers.  It's a wonderful benefit for 4/5* cruisers especially on longer cruises.

I just use shampoo to wash mine out.  

Edited by OCruisers

1 hour ago, dot73 said:

And, most everyone is near sighted or suffering from old age forgetfulness so they won't notice or remember.  No problem.

🎶 Do your ears hang low

🎶 Do they wobble to and fro

^^ That song’s not so funny anymore.

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

So, do you hand wash those fancy undies,

If we have to do laundry on a cruise, and there's no self wash availability, I hand wash underwear/socks and light weight shirts.  Everything else goes to the laundry.

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Interesting topic :classic_wink:

I'm getting giddy as my NA cruise is 4 days away.  

30 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

🎶 Do your ears hang low

🎶 Do they wobble to and fro

^^ That song’s not so funny anymore.

OMG, I had to play that song over and over for my nephew when he was small.  When he was very small and didn't understand the words, his father would replace the word "ear" with another one and sing along.

13 minutes ago, dot73 said:

I'm getting giddy as my NA cruise is 4 days away.  

Enjoy! :classic_biggrin:

Unmentionables are washed in the sink, rolled in a towel and then hung in the shower to dry.  If they are still damp in the morning, I transfer them to the closet so the room steward doesn't have to duck them while cleaning the shower/tub.

I will hand wash stockings, too.  Everything else, goes to the laundry.  I do take some "one more time" garments on cruises, too.

I’m glad this topic arose because we’ll be on for 18 days in March, and I’d better put laundry soap of some sort in my packing list.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

I am one lucky woman. I have used the unlimited laundry packages to the fullest on different ships, and NEVER had a problem. Though one of my workout bras went missing for a day.

On our recent Maasdam cruise I considered this question.  I sent out "test unmentionables" to see how one of each would come back.  They came back fine so I sent them for the whole thirty days with no problems.   What I did do was send my things and DH's things on different days/bags.   On my laundry form I requested cold water/low dryer.   

The laundry on the Maasdam did a great job.   I should have mentioned that on my review.