Cruise Critic Community
barante

Princess Vacation Protection

I am looking forward to the March 19 Coral Princess sailing from Buenos Aires to FLL, while dealing with a family health crisis. Today I  bought Princess Vacation Protection coverage--which must be contracted before the final payment deadline--in case we need to cancel close to the sailing. Very affordable, and you may cancel for any reason.

The Princess Vacation Protection package is not insurance per se and does not cover trip interruption, lost luggage or other features often included in insurance policies.

As a Ruby level cruiser my coverage cost $157 and was upgraded free of charge so that in the event of cancelation before the sailing I will get 100 percent reimbursement in future cruise credits that must be used on Princess within a year. (The basic coverage for lower tiers reimburses 75 percent in credits).

Please note that if you are interested, you must buy coverage through your cruise agent who owns the booking made in your name. This is what I learned after trying to buy it directly from Princess.

I have 75 percent reimbursement (in cash) for the flight to Buenos Aires, if that needs to be canceled. But that is not through Princess. Hope all this will work out.

An other thing what is good to know is that there is a minimum charge for the Princess Vacation Protection of $ 39.00 US even on a 1 day cruise. We did not know, just found out for our 4 day  Vancouver-Los Angeles cruise. We always thought it was either 8% or 7% of the cruise price (depending on cruise status).

Theo

19 hours ago, barante said:

The Princess Vacation Protection package is not insurance per se and does not cover trip interruption, lost luggage or other features often included in insurance policies.

It does cover trip delay and baggage. 

It is covered but what happens if you cancel for any reason?  I have a pre-existing condition so I think that is how we would need to file.  I know you get credit for a future cruise for the cruise.  What do you get for the air tickets?

19 hours ago, mustgo said:

It is covered but what happens if you cancel for any reason?  I have a pre-existing condition so I think that is how we would need to file.  I know you get credit for a future cruise for the cruise.  What do you get for the air tickets?

As I remember it from other posts, at least one time in the past it went by the airline's policy. In other words, the tickets must be used on that airline within 360 days of when the flight was booked. Any change fee should be covered by the insurance.

Anyone who has had this happen recently and has a different memory of it, please do correct me.

Is there a Princess Insurance product that DOES have medical coverage -- like the Platinum level of HAL's CPP?

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

Is there a Princess Insurance product that DOES have medical coverage -- like the Platinum level of HAL's CPP?

Not motivated to research HAL but Princess Vacation Protection DOES have medical coverage. It would probably only take a couple minutes for you to compare the two plans.

I was doing a dummy booking that got as far as people's names and after adding those, I got to the place to input desire of protection and level; Princess like HAL has two levels and even calls the upper one "Platinum".

It was even a link to read about the coverage (which is NOT the same as HAL's as of last time I looked at that).

I've always booked with CVP and yes she asks about "protection" but I've said no...

10 hours ago, caribill said:

As I remember it from other posts, at least one time in the past it went by the airline's policy. In other words, the tickets must be used on that airline within 360 days of when the flight was booked. Any change fee should be covered by the insurance.

Anyone who has had this happen recently and has a different memory of it, please do correct me.

Well, I guess we will just have to hope that nothing happens.  We booked on Quantas and we live in the USA.  If this trip is cancelled, I doubt we will make it to Australia again.  I think it is worth the risk.  The flight is for Feb and that is not far away.