Whisky class on Valor

reeinaz

I'm taking a 5 day cruise and a recent fun times shows the sign up for the class on the 2nd day of the cruise but I don't see the actual class listed anywhere. A review on a 7 day Vista cruise said the class was the day after the sign up. That would be a port day on my cruise. I'm curious about the timing of this activity.

Also, is there a Martini class too? I've read about one but don't see it listed as an activity.

Thanks

14 hours ago, reeinaz said:

I'm taking a 5 day cruise and a recent fun times shows the sign up for the class on the 2nd day of the cruise but I don't see the actual class listed anywhere. A review on a 7 day Vista cruise said the class was the day after the sign up. That would be a port day on my cruise. I'm curious about the timing of this activity.

Also, is there a Martini class too? I've read about one but don't see it listed as an activity.

Thanks

These will all be listed in the Fun Times when you board. I believe we tried to go to the whiskey tasting on the Valor last year, but they held it in the cigar room and i couldn't take the smell. I've done the wine pairing session in the past, and that was excellent. Haven't done the martini tasting, but I bet they have one!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2019 at 10:54 AM, Bookster99 said:

These will all be listed in the Fun Times when you board. I believe we tried to go to the whiskey tasting on the Valor last year, but they held it in the cigar room and i couldn't take the smell. I've done the wine pairing session in the past, and that was excellent. Haven't done the martini tasting, but I bet they have one!

I didn't think Carnival has had a cigar room for years

Our friend did the whisky class.  I don't know that the class itself was listed in the fun times.  I think they just told him when & where to be.  Man, I wish I had a better memory.  He had his own named bottle of whisky afterward & said he really enjoyed the class.

I took the class on a recent Pride cruise to Bermuda. The way it worked for us, you signed up for it on Monday (the first sea day) at the Alchemy Bar. It was limited to 15. The class was scheduled for Friday afternoon, a sea day on the way back. You were asked to stop by the bar and confirm your attendance on Thursday. The class was a couple hours long, held in David's Steakhouse and very interesting. Discussed countries of origin, aging, distillation, blending, etc. Sponsored by Dewers. Very enjoyable afternoon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FiredogCruiser said:

I took the class on a recent Pride cruise to Bermuda. The way it worked for us, you signed up for it on Monday (the first sea day) at the Alchemy Bar. It was limited to 15. The class was scheduled for Friday afternoon, a sea day on the way back. You were asked to stop by the bar and confirm your attendance on Thursday. The class was a couple hours long, held in David's Steakhouse and very interesting. Discussed countries of origin, aging, distillation, blending, etc. Sponsored by Dewers. Very enjoyable afternoon.

This really sonds like fun!

I went to the Whiskey Class on Vista - it was NOT a tasting class - it was an actual "create your own whiskey/scotch"

You walked in to the Steakhouse mid-afternoon to a table of lab coats, beakers, stir sticks, etc.  This is put on by Dewars.  

I do not know what other ships it is on, but I have to tell you it was well worth the $$ - and we were able to bring home our own "creation" pints of whiskey/scotch.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, marci4tony said:

I went to the Whiskey Class on Vista - it was NOT a tasting class - it was an actual "create your own whiskey/scotch"

You walked in to the Steakhouse mid-afternoon to a table of lab coats, beakers, stir sticks, etc.  This is put on by Dewars.  

I do not know what other ships it is on, but I have to tell you it was well worth the $$ - and we were able to bring home our own "creation" pints of whiskey/scotch.

Sounds like fun and interesting. How much is the charge for this class?

19 hours ago, originalgeek said:

Dewars eh?  not my favorite blend but technically it is part of the family (See my Buchanan tartan avatar).  I will look for this in February on the Conquest.

I was with you on that thought, initially,  But on the Vista they pour a number of single barrel, unblended whiskies, common styles None tasting like any Dewars bought in your local packie.  The "instructor", one of the barkeeps at the Alchemy, talked about each offering in detail and then encouraged us to blend our own.  Mine is still "aging in the bottle". As a long time single malt drinker who has been to a number of tastings and comparisons over the years, this was worth the small tariff.  Most of the people in the class were "regulars" at the Alchemy, so it was a fun group.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

I was with you on that thought, initially,  But on the Vista they pour a number of single barrel, unblended whiskies, common styles None tasting like any Dewars bought in your local packie.  The "instructor", one of the barkeeps at the Alchemy, talked about each offering in detail and then encouraged us to blend our own.  Mine is still "aging in the bottle". As a long time single malt drinker who has been to a number of tastings and comparisons over the years, this was worth the small tariff.  Most of the people in the class were "regulars" at the Alchemy, so it was a fun group.

Thanks!  I'll definitely be looking for this in February.  

On 12/18/2019 at 12:36 PM, crewsweeper said: