Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
chmusar

Dubai Cruise

Hi all

Looking to book a cruise in February from Dubai on Jewel of the Seas ports are Khasab, Muscat, Abu Dhabi, Sir Bani Yas Island.

Only been on Independence of the Seas around the Med so was wondering any one done this cruise and what the ship is like.

Thanks

Jewel is much smaller than Indy, and has views to the outside from virtually all public venues.  Jewel has a centrum, but no Royal Promenade nor Flowrider.

We did a cruise from Dubai that  stopped in Muscat  and Salalah, and then went on through the Suez Canal to Israel,  Greece and Turkey. We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and stops in the Middle East.   Our cruise was on the Rhapsody which is a different class than the Jewel. In my opinion, the Jewel  is a nicer ship than Rhapsody. While we usually book independent tours, which we did in Israel. Greece and Turkey, we booked Cruise tours for our two stops in Oman

enjoy

m

We did a similar cruise two years ago and though it wasn't on Jewel we have been on her 3 times and she is probably my favorite ship. Does not have the central promenade or some of the big shows of Independence, but really enjoyed all my cruises on her. Khasab was great, booked a dhow trip and enjoyed watching the tiny boats trading in the port. We overnighted in Oman and Dubai and had a stop in Abu Dhabi which I found the most uninteresting port apart from The Grand Mosque. The prices for these cruises are pretty good at moment and if we weren't already committed to a couple of cruises I would book again. 

Edited by sgmn

All the 2021 Jewel Dubai cruises were just cancelled, we are offered at least $200 per storeroom if we book on the March 2020 Dubai cruises.  Those cruises could be filling up real soon.

1 hour ago, chmusar said:

Hi all

Looking to book a cruise in February from Dubai on Jewel of the Seas ports are Khasab, Muscat, Abu Dhabi, Sir Bani Yas Island.

Only been on Independence of the Seas around the Med so was wondering any one done this cruise and what the ship is like.

Thanks

We did Brilliance twice(similar to Jewel) and Vision once from Dubai.

Verylittle in Khasab town.

Muscat has a lovely promenade with lively bazzars about 15 minutes walk from the port entrance.You have to get the shuttle to the port gate.

Outside the gate are about 70-100 taxi's with vendors trying to get you to book excursions.

The Grand Mosque is about 10 minutes away by taxi and there is a shopping mall about 20 minutes away by taxi.

Abu Dhabi has and interesting hop on hop off bus.

There is a shuttle to a large shopping mall.

There is a round tower in the centre of the mall reached by lifts and the view from the top is spectacular with several cafes selling food and drink.

Dubai is large with lots of hotels, shopping malls,hop on hop off busses and gold outlets.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

We did Brilliance twice(similar to Jewel) and Vision once from Dubai.

Verylittle in Khasab town.

Muscat has a lovely promenade with lively bazzars about 15 minutes walk from the port entrance.You have to get the shuttle to the port gate.

Outside the gate are about 70-100 taxi's with vendors trying to get you to book excursions.

The Grand Mosque is about 10 minutes away by taxi and there is a shopping mall about 20 minutes away by taxi.

Abu Dhabi has and interesting hop on hop off bus.

There is a shuttle to a large shopping mall.

There is a round tower in the centre of the mall reached by lifts and the view from the top is spectacular with several cafes selling food and drink.

Dubai is large with lots of hotels, shopping malls,hop on hop off busses and gold outlets.

Thanks Graham

Looks like I'm going to do Jewel this time or I will miss out.

Still cheap and probably a better than the Allure Ta that I'm booked on

The December, 2020, Dubai cruises and the 11/26/20 Rome to Dubai cruises are still listed, not cheap.

1 hour ago, mugtech said:

The December, 2020, Dubai cruises and the 11/26/20 Rome to Dubai cruises are still listed, not cheap.

Not any more.

6 hours ago, bigeck said:

Thanks Graham

Looks like I'm going to do Jewel this time or I will miss out.

Still cheap and probably a better than the Allure Ta that I'm booked on

You are welcome Alec.

We had afternoon tea in the 

Hotel Burj Al Arab in Dubai which was fantastic.

If you want to go up the world's tallest building Burj Khalifa pre-book as you won't be able to book on the day.

Possession of Co-Codamol pain killers are a prison offence and drinking Alcohol is fine in the hotel's but illegal in public places.

We loved our 3 Emirates cruises.

12 hours ago, chmusar said:

Hi all

Thanks

Have done this itinerary 4 times and doing it twice more in January! 

Khasab very authentic (aka not much there). Best is to do a dhow trip to see the fantastic fjord like scenery and the dolphins.  Also fun to watch the little boats who are smugglers taking stuff to Iran... they all leave in a rush at 5pm!
Muscat is my favourite place in the world. Easy walk along the front to the Souk. There is a mosque 🕌 but it is out of town.
Abu Dhabi has the most amazing mosque.. free tours daily at 11.  Do not miss seeing this! 
Sir Bani was the Sheiks private animal reserve, now opened up. You have to take a ships tour to the reserve otherwise it is a beach day. 

Dubai easy to get to, and get around, amazing hotels, great food. Not cheap. 

Jewel is one of my favourite ships. 

Edited by little britain

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

You are welcome Alec.

We had afternoon tea in the 

Hotel Burj Al Arab in Dubai which was fantastic.

If you want to go up the world's tallest building Burj Khalifa pre-book as you won't be able to book on the day.

Would also recommend afternoon tea at the Skyview Bar at the top of the tower at Burj Al Arab. You need to pre-book otherwise your taxi won't be allowed across the little causeway. There is a free public beach near the Burj Al Arab and then a nice walk to the Madinat Jumeirah and Mina a'Salam group of hotels. For a more authentic taste of Dubai try a dohw trip across the creek and visit the spice and gold souks. 

Edited by sgmn

I would actually recommend the afternoon tea at At.Mosphere in the Armani hotel in Burj Khalifa. Same great views as going to the observation platform but with cake and 🥂!!

We stayed at Burj al Arab... sadly didn’t rate it at all... 

Radiance class are my favourite ships, smaller than Indy but still a reasonable size and a bit more traditional.

We've done a few Middle East itineraries on various lines and loved them all. 

Dubai and Abu Dhabi are very built up and modern, Muscat and Khasab feel like they haven't changed much in many years. Mutrah souk in Muscat (walking distance from the ship) is fabulous.

No one has mentioned the Heritage centre in Abu Dhabi which shows how people lived there a (relatively) short time ago. It's a taxi ride from the ship but then you can walk to Marina mall too. There is also Ferrari World and the F1 track if you are interested. Too many things to do in Dubai to mention.

I actually prefer this area to the Med although I know I'm probably in the minority.

thanks for all the info 😁

After getting bored of looking 😉 decided just to book a cruise in Dubai in February with a 3 night stay with 4x4 safari and dinner before the 7 day cruise.

One thing i forgot to ask is what are the sea conditions like?