Playmakers & Family Members without UDP

lgoodyear

Hi all!

Long time reader, first time posting. 🙂

My husband and I will be cruising in a few weeks with his extended family. We always purchase the UBP and decided to splurge on this cruise and get the UDP as well. Unfortunately, the rest of his family decided against getting the UDP with us.

While onboard, we all plan on catching a game or two at Playmakers the Sunday we are sailing. With the UDP, I understand that my husband and I each get up to $35 in food - which can go a long way based on the menu. If we are seated with the family members who don't have the UDP, would we be able to share any food with them? I obviously don't need 50 wings all to myself. 😉 I suspect this is frowned upon but I guess I'm curious to if they will actually say something? If it's an issue, no worries at all! I only ask so we can manage expectations with his family upfront since they are opting out of the package.

Thanks in advance for any insight! 

Nobody likes to see food go to waste so as long as your friends do order something and pay for that, I don't think anyone cares if you share what you couldn't finish.  Put a little money outside the UDP into RCCL's pockets and tip well and it's probably ok. We did the opposite, only using the UDP once outside of dinners, and it was at Playmakers boarding day, and 6 of us who all bought the package ended up spending less than $35 so it went on one persons account.

Your friends are also allowed to bring in food from other venues to eat and drink with you without needing to eat at Playmakers.  Some in my crew did that even with UDP b/c wanted some healthier options.  

1 hour ago, CP3o said:

Nobody likes to see food go to waste so as long as your friends do order something and pay for that, I don't think anyone cares if you share what you couldn't finish.  Put a little money outside the UDP into RCCL's pockets and tip well and it's probably ok. We did the opposite, only using the UDP once outside of dinners, and it was at Playmakers boarding day, and 6 of us who all bought the package ended up spending less than $35 so it went on one persons account.

Your friends are also allowed to bring in food from other venues to eat and drink with you without needing to eat at Playmakers.  Some in my crew did that even with UDP b/c wanted some healthier options.  

Thank you!! This is the answer I was looking for. 🙂 Exactly what I was thinking - I would love to be able to share if we have extra instead of letting it go to waste. They would certainly be purchasing drinks/snacks of their own and we always tip additional with the staff so all covered there.

And that's a great tip about them being able to bring in other food! I did not know this and I'm sure his extended family will take advantage of that.  

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Against the rules.  Why put the crewmembers in a very uncomfortable position of having to enforce the rules?

I wouldn't put them in an uncomfortable position which is why I'm asking the question in advance. I'm not going out of my way and ordering food for others but instead trying to see if it would be okay if we could share anything that the husband and I don't eat. Like I said in my post, if it's an issue that's fine and we will make sure we set those expectations with family ahead of time. 

3 hours ago, lgoodyear said:

Hi all!

Long time reader, first time posting. 🙂

My husband and I will be cruising in a few weeks with his extended family. We always purchase the UBP and decided to splurge on this cruise and get the UDP as well. Unfortunately, the rest of his family decided against getting the UDP with us.

While onboard, we all plan on catching a game or two at Playmakers the Sunday we are sailing. With the UDP, I understand that my husband and I each get up to $35 in food - which can go a long way based on the menu. If we are seated with the family members who don't have the UDP, would we be able to share any food with them? I obviously don't need 50 wings all to myself. 😉 I suspect this is frowned upon but I guess I'm curious to if they will actually say something? If it's an issue, no worries at all! I only ask so we can manage expectations with his family upfront since they are opting out of the package.

Thanks in advance for any insight! 

You don’t have to order $35 worth, just order what you can eat. Just like a drink package you don’t have to change your drinking or eating habits just to get you moneys worth. Spending the max and giving the excess food away is the same as sharing a drink package.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Against the rules.  Why put the crewmembers in a very uncomfortable position of having to enforce the rules?

So, I'm curious? If they have essentially "Prepaid" for $35.00 worth of food, WHY can't they choose to share it with the ENTIRE ship? It's paid for!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Why can’t you share a drink package.  You’ve prepaid for unlimited drinks.  Same thing. 

No. Your wrong. The drink package is "Unlimited" per person! You have a "Value" the you are alotted per person with the "Ala Cart" restaurants. You are getting what you are "Allowed", and nothing more! What if you can only eat "a wing", and don't like it, or get sick? But, your friends decide to eat what you can't? Did you somehow take advantage of the system? Grow up! They ARE NOT giving out ANY more food to you, than anyone else can order as a single. AND, typically does. Grow up. We can argue all day if you would like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Why can’t you share a drink package.  You’ve prepaid for unlimited drinks.  Same thing. 

Because they can only get $35 worth.  The drink Pckg is unlimited, they could get the whole ship a drink then.  

Personally I think it's fine like the previous poster said, it's already paid for, kinda like the 10 drink package, its ok to share that cause you only get 10 drinks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, FireEMT978 said:

No. Your wrong. The drink package is "Unlimited" per person! You have a "Value" the you are alotted per person with the "Ala Cart" restaurants. You are getting what you are "Allowed", and nothing more! What if you can only eat "a wing", and don't like it, or get sick? But, your friends decide to eat what you can't? Did you somehow take advantage of the system? Grow up! They ARE NOT giving out ANY more food to you, than anyone else can order as a single. AND, typically does. Grow up. We can argue all day if you would like.

10 minutes ago, whitshel said:

Because they can only get $35 worth.  The drink Pckg is unlimited, they could get the whole ship a drink then.  

Personally I think it's fine like the previous poster said, it's already paid for, kinda like the 10 drink package, its ok to share that cause you only get 10 drinks. 

The dining is unlimited and was a set price just like the drink package. 

Its not like you had paid  a one time fee of $xxx to get $35 worth of food which would be like the 10 drink card.

You paid one amount just like you did for the drinks package and Royal is allowing you limits.  By your logic you could also go into Chops and order every appetizer and share them with your friends

Do you really believe that that it’s meant to be shared.  Bottom line is you purchased it for yourself and not to treat a bunch of friends. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Its not like you had paid  a one time fee of $xxx to get $35 worth of food which would be like the 10 drink card.

You paid one amount just like you did for the drinks package and Royal is allowing you limits.  By your logic you could also go into Chops and order every appetizer and share them with your friends

Do you really believe that that it’s meant to be shared.  Bottom line is you purchased it for yourself and not to treat a bunch of friends. 

Agree, well said. I actually asked a Head Waiter friend and no sharing even in Posters situation

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Are you serious? You're COMPLETELY WRONG! RCI themselves, have said that a person is ALLOWED $35.00 worth of food. What can't YOU comprehend? Because , this is a "To Go" venue. I would love for you, to show me where it says that someone that gets their $35.00 allowance of food, cannot share it from this venue specifically! So, if they choose to order $35 worth of food, and throw it in the garbage can? How many people do you know personally, that go into the main dining room, Chops, etc.... and order 2 of everything? Just to try..... Because they can. I see it every cruise!

You must hold a single share of "RCI" to be so naive!

Nothing better to do, but spend all day "Touting RCI" on the forum. 

But, it does get that "Post count" increasing.

Edited by FireEMT978
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FireEMT978 said:

Are you serious? You're COMPLETELY WRONG! RCI themselves, have said that a person is ALLOWED $35.00 worth of food. What can't YOU comprehend? Because , this is a "To Go" venue. How many people do you know, personally . That, go into the main dining room, Chops, etc.... and order 2 of everything? Just to try..... Because they can. I see it every cruise!

Hi all,

No arguments needed. 🙂 It was an innocent question and I got a few replies that are really helpful! We really don't have to go back and forth on this any further.

Looking forward to a great cruise in a few weeks! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lgoodyear said:

Hi all,

No arguments needed. 🙂 It was an innocent question and I got a few replies that are really helpful! We really don't have to go back and forth on this any further.

Looking forward to a great cruise in a few weeks! 

Enjoy your cruise.

23 minutes ago, FireEMT978 said:

Are you serious? You're COMPLETELY WRONG! RCI themselves, have said that a person is ALLOWED $35.00 worth of food. What can't YOU comprehend? Because , this is a "To Go" venue. I would love for you, to show me where it says that someone that gets their $35.00 allowance of food, cannot share it from this venue specifically! So, if they choose to order $35 worth of food, and throw it in the garbage can? How many people do you know personally, that go into the main dining room, Chops, etc.... and order 2 of everything? Just to try..... Because they can. I see it every cruise!

Wow.  No need to get so angry and turning things personal just because someone doesn’t agree with your position.

Have a great next cruise.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CP3o said:

This. Idk what shipmyou are sailing. We were just on the Mariner where Playmakers is directly across from the Cafe Promenade. People were bringing in pizza and sandwiches from the promenade and there was never any issue at all. That was easy to do...but I’m sure you could bring whatever you wanted into Playmakers. The setting is a come and go bar...not a sit down restaurant.

11 hours ago, lgoodyear said:

I wouldn't put them in an uncomfortable position which is why I'm asking the question in advance. I'm not going out of my way and ordering food for others but instead trying to see if it would be okay if we could share anything that the husband and I don't eat. Like I said in my post, if it's an issue that's fine and we will make sure we set those expectations with family ahead of time. 

Excellent reply.  Order $70 worth of food for you and your family and enjoy it!  It's your cruise.  Welcome to Cruise Critic.  

• Like 2

They don't verify all the cards or anything like that.  Just order what you want and share with the table.  Give your card.  This is a non issue.  They aren't going to be trying to verify everyone is on the dining package.  It's not the same as the drink package.

Playmakers is social.  All the tables are sharing food with their groups during the games.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

Quick question?? Can you get it to go??

Me and hubby like wings. And sitting on my balcony with a cold one and my wings is very appealing. And I would not be ordering $70 worth of wings. They wouldn't even total $35. 

Absolutely.  We got takeaway several times at Playmakers.  They have packaging for it and everything.

Packages are sold on a per person basis. That's pretty clear and easily understood.  Would you take someone to Chops and feed them whatever you could not finish off your plate?  Would you gift someone a half finished cocktail? 

Personally, I don't believe Royal should charge for any of the food served at Playmakers, but they do.  I don't believe they will give you a hard time about Playmakers onboard.  You can certainly take food to go and no one would know anything either.  BUT, Abuse of the system will only lead to more restrictive rules; perhaps a limited "UDP" menu and not a $35 credit.  

You're going on what sounds like a $5000+ cruise.  Let your moral compass guide you 

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 3