Canon EOS 90D RAW FILES

earley104

Has anyone had any trouble editing RAW images shot from the Canon 90D? The new RAW (CR3) images from the Canon 90D aren't recognized by all editing software. Some even require you to convert them to TIFF or some other images for them to work.

What software is causing the issue?  I use a bout half a dozen different programs and never had an issue, though I don't have a 90D.  I'd heard Canon would be making some changes to the next generation 1D series, but even that referred to HEIF support not any changes to RAW/CR3.  My lenses are all full frame so I didn't pay much attention to the 90D, but I'd be surprised they'd make a change just for that model.

Sorry I can't be more help... but I am curious now!

Edited by AL3XCruise

Thank you AL3XCrusie for your reply. First let me tell you I am not a LIghtroom or PhotoShop user. This is my third Canon camera (had a 20D; 60D and now a 90D) so I tend to keep them for awhile but I like the crop sensor ones because of my collection of lens. Having said that the editing programs that I use are from Corel and Anthropics. Under Corel I have PaintShopPro and Corel AfterShot. Both photo editing software. Under Anthropics, I have PortraitPro Studio, PortraitPro Body (for body shaping) and LandscapingPro. All worked well with my two previous Canon Camera. I had contacted Canon and they advised me to convert my Canon RAW CR3 images to TIFF (which I did) but now its' just one extra step.😥 Canon admitted to the change in the RAW images. It may have something to do with 32 mega-pixel on a cropped sensor (but they didn't say that).

Once again, thank you for your time and reply

• 1 month later...

It's not necessarily the megapixel count (my 5DsR is 50mp and it's still CR2), just the file format. And yes, every now and then you've got to get updates for software to remain compatible with the newer cameras. It doesn't even have to be CR3 to be a problem - any time there's a camera newer than the software, there's apt to be an obstacle.

• Like 1

Thank you Peety3. I figure this much out now. The sad part is the software that I am using is a paid for software and I am not sure if they will be upgrading. I just have to now convert all my RAW images to a format that is compatible to the software I am using. Thanks for the response

On 2/3/2020 at 2:59 PM, earley104 said:

Thank you Peety3. I figure this much out now. The sad part is the software that I am using is a paid for software and I am not sure if they will be upgrading. I just have to now convert all my RAW images to a format that is compatible to the software I am using. Thanks for the response

Adobe is pretty timely with the updates. A significant change in a RAW format will take a bit longer than a minor tweak but the update to Camera Raw will arrive shortly. Rumor has it that the 90d does a pretty good JPEG in the meantime. 😉

Dave