Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ToxM

Worldies of 2020 - We need your blogs!

Recommended Posts

As we approach the start of 2020 another lucky and plucky few will be embarking on their world cruises. 

 

Every year for the past few years I have searched around CC to collect a good few blogs from those lucky enough to be doing a world cruise and vicariously enjoy their trips with them for a few months. 

 

It’s so lovely to share their journey with them. 

 

If you are off on a World Cruise next year and care to share your blog, please share below so we can all travel with you 🙂

 

Thank you so much 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s mine:  

https://lanastravels.blog/

 

I’m doing the Regent Seven Seas ”Navigate the World” 131-day world cruise embarking in San Francisco on January 24.  

 

I’ve tried a couple of times in the past to blog my trips, but found that trying to do it via iPad was just too cumbersome.  For this trip, I’ll be taking my laptop.  Having a full-sized keyboard will definitely help.

 

Lana in Bellingham, WA

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've signed up to follow your adventures, Lana! Thanks so much for sharing your travels with us. It'll whet my appetite for our own WC in 2021. 

 

I blogged on our 2018 WC and while many people let me know they enjoyed my posts, I feel like it was the best possible souvenir of the trip I could have. Not only do I remember where I've been, I remember what I was thinking and feeling about those places too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Andy and Lana.  Will see if I can work up the gumption to do the same a year from now.  Meanwhile Lana, hope the internet on Mariner is decent enough for you to post.  Are you in a standard cabin?  If so, I'd eventually love it if you or someone in the group could post pix of the cabin--I know they've removed storage space, and I'm wondering about ways to maximimize this with add-ons like foldables and hangables, ha ha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Thanks Andy and Lana.  Will see if I can work up the gumption to do the same a year from now.  Meanwhile Lana, hope the internet on Mariner is decent enough for you to post.  Are you in a standard cabin?  If so, I'd eventually love it if you or someone in the group could post pix of the cabin--I know they've removed storage space, and I'm wondering about ways to maximimize this with add-ons like foldables and hangables, ha ha.

I’ll be in a Concierge Suite -- the exact same cabin I occupied for my first Regent cruise in 2018 (972).  The Mariner had gone through a fairly extensive refurb earlier that year.  I have some photos of the cabin that I took then, but none of the walk-in closet.  I know that part of my reasoning for booking that particular cabin was the amount of storage available.  I'll definitely post photos when I board and as I set up my ”system.”

2018-09-12 15.30.41.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2019 at 10:35 AM, ArtsyCraftsy said:

Here’s mine:  https://lanastravels.blog/

 

I’m doing the Regent Seven Seas ”Navigate the World” 131-day world cruise embarking in San Francisco on January 24.  

 

Lana in Bellingham, WA

 

Thanks, Lana.  I'll be following along.  I have friends onboard so it will be nice to see the ports you visit and your daily activities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Thanks Andy and Lana.  Will see if I can work up the gumption to do the same a year from now.  Meanwhile Lana, hope the internet on Mariner is decent enough for you to post.  Are you in a standard cabin?  If so, I'd eventually love it if you or someone in the group could post pix of the cabin--I know they've removed storage space, and I'm wondering about ways to maximimize this with add-ons like foldables and hangables, ha ha.

Wendy - I use a fairly basic package with Wordpress.com It was easy to figure out and no coding skills are required. I started about 1 year ahead of our first WC, so by the time we started the cruise I was comfortable with the interface.

 

Lots of other options are available in addition to Wordpress.

 

I find that it provides a great record of our travels and gives the kids & grandkids an opportunity to read where we are and what we are doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Wendy - I use a fairly basic package with Wordpress.com It was easy to figure out and no coding skills are required. I started about 1 year ahead of our first WC, so by the time we started the cruise I was comfortable with the interface.

 

Lots of other options are available in addition to Wordpress.

 

I find that it provides a great record of our travels and gives the kids & grandkids an opportunity to read where we are and what we are doing.

 

I also use Wordpress.  I tried Blogger, but found Wordpress easier to navigate.  I also post quite a lot on Facebook, but I’m going to make an effort to keep up the blog on this trip.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2019 at 7:35 AM, ArtsyCraftsy said:

Here’s mine:  

https://lanastravels.blog/

 

I’m doing the Regent Seven Seas ”Navigate the World” 131-day world cruise embarking in San Francisco on January 24.  

 

I’ve tried a couple of times in the past to blog my trips, but found that trying to do it via iPad was just too cumbersome.  For this trip, I’ll be taking my laptop.  Having a full-sized keyboard will definitely help.

 

Lana in Bellingham, WA

 

 


I have seriously started looking at World Cruises on Regents after some of your posts and pics, so thanks for the info.  It has definitely increased our options.

 

Michelle......also in Bellingham, WA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Andy, it will be interesting to see your perspective of a repeat WCer. Lana, I signed up to follow you. We are very interested in your blog as we are on Mariner 2021WC. For both of you, I am concerned with storage and hate clutter. I will be interested in any storage ideas, a picture once on the cruise would be invaluable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, travelwell said:

Andy, it will be interesting to see your perspective of a repeat WCer. Lana, I signed up to follow you. We are very interested in your blog as we are on Mariner 2021WC. For both of you, I am concerned with storage and hate clutter. I will be interested in any storage ideas, a picture once on the cruise would be invaluable.

 

I'm with you!  Both of us hate clutter, and we're just in a regular cabin.  Without many drawers to keep things tidy, I'm going to be counting on filling extra spaces with containers of various kinds.  My husband thinks I'm obsessing too much, but I'm a planner by nature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me too, Wendy. We also travel with several collapsible containers of different sizes to organize things on shelves above the closet rod. A collapsible set of hanging shelves that fasten over the closet rod creates another set of storage. It's a good way to stack t-shirts and casual pants and capris in a way that allows me to see what's available.  I take an over-the-door hanger that will hold 10 delicate things to dry at a time. (We'll have laundry for our 2021 WC, but there are a few things I won't want to send out.)

 

Here's a link to my blogpost about how we organized our cabin: http://roundtheworldwriter.blogspot.com/2018/01/day-3-welcome-to-cabin-7009.html 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

 

I'm with you!  Both of us hate clutter, and we're just in a regular cabin.  Without many drawers to keep things tidy, I'm going to be counting on filling extra spaces with containers of various kinds.  My husband thinks I'm obsessing too much, but I'm a planner by nature.

 

I wish I’d thought to take a photo of the walk-in closet in my cabin on my Mariner cruise last year (Concierge Suite is identical to the Deluxe Verandah Suite in terms of layout).  I know there are 5 or 6 drawers and several open shelves in the closet, plus at least 1 drawer in each nightstand (maybe 2?), and 2 drawers plus a cabinet with doors in the sitting area.  I always tuck my suitcases under the bed, but there’s a space in the closet that is the perfect size/shape for two large suitcases.

 

With all that, I’m packing two sets of collapsible 11”x11”x11” fabric bins (4 total) and two over-the-door shoe organizers (see photo) -- one for the inside of the closet and one for the bathroom.  I have a couple of other hanging organizers (one for jewelry, one for paperwork -- excursion info, reminders, etc.) that pack small but will help keep things organized.

 

I’ll have 5 sea days after boarding to figure out how things are working, and if I need anything else, I can always order online from Amazon or Walmart for pick up in Hawaii at one of the ports.

 

 

 

4AFADCB6-2AE5-4E77-A279-9F2937040A4F.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2019 at 5:07 AM, travelwell said:

Andy, it will be interesting to see your perspective of a repeat WCer. Lana, I signed up to follow you. We are very interested in your blog as we are on Mariner 2021WC. For both of you, I am concerned with storage and hate clutter. I will be interested in any storage ideas, a picture once on the cruise would be invaluable.

Unfortunately, I'm not the best help with this issue. Having worked on ships for too many years in cabins much smaller than current pax cabins, I never found storage an issue. However, DW has similar concerns even although our cabin is bigger than our last WC.

 

I'll try and recall to post some photos, but if I forget, please send a comment & I'll have DW craft a post and I'll take some photos.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2019 at 9:35 AM, ArtsyCraftsy said:

Here’s mine:  

https://lanastravels.blog/

 

I’m doing the Regent Seven Seas ”Navigate the World” 131-day world cruise embarking in San Francisco on January 24.  

 

I’ve tried a couple of times in the past to blog my trips, but found that trying to do it via iPad was just too cumbersome.  For this trip, I’ll be taking my laptop.  Having a full-sized keyboard will definitely help.

 

Lana in Bellingham, WA

 

 

We have done Blogs each year since we started doing World Cruising.  You've made a wise decision.  I couldn't do 25% of what I do on our blog with an iPad.  I find it so much easier via a computer.


Have a great time.

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

We have done Blogs each year since we started doing World Cruising.  You've made a wise decision.  I couldn't do 25% of what I do on our blog with an iPad.  I find it so much easier via a computer.


Have a great time.

 

Keith

 

Well we're old-school, right? I'm a fast touch-typist but many aren't these days. We need to evolve tiny, dextrous thumbs I'm afraid!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

 

Well we're old-school, right? I'm a fast touch-typist but many aren't these days. We need to evolve tiny, dextrous thumbs I'm afraid!

So true.  I have always been a great typist which is great on the computer but not for the iPhone. 

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

So true.  I have always been a great typist which is great on the computer but not for the iPhone. 

 

Keith

 

Me too, I seem to think with my fingertips.  All of them, not just two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2019 at 1:03 AM, Keith1010 said:

We have done Blogs each year since we started doing World Cruising.  

 

Keith

Keith, I've followed at least 4 of your WC blogs and enjoyed all of them tremendously. At the end of your last cruise you mentioned to your readers to check back in the middle of December. I keep checking your website for the start of your new adventure. Are you planning to do another blog?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Aldeya said:

Keith, I've followed at least 4 of your WC blogs and enjoyed all of them tremendously. At the end of your last cruise you mentioned to your readers to check back in the middle of December. I keep checking your website for the start of your new adventure. Are you planning to do another blog?

Aldeya....Thank you so much.  If you check back sometime either this Saturday or Sunday you will see the new Blog.  😀

 

Happy Holidays.

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2019 at 3:10 AM, Keith1010 said:

Aldeya....Thank you so much.  If you check back sometime either this Saturday or Sunday you will see the new Blog.  😀

 

Happy Holidays.

 

Keith

 

Keith, not sure I ever had a link to your blogs, perhaps I did and lost it.  Could you share it again please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once again I will be blogging my world cruise.  I am on HAL's Amsterdam and we leave on January 4th for 128 days. 

 

This is the first time I have booked a guarantee but have not heard yet what kind of a cabin I have.

 

I use BlogSpot because I found Word Press more difficult.  My first few blogs were done on my iPad (with an actual keyboard) but when blogger was changed to allow you to upload photos directly from your computer without first sending them to a hosting site, I switched over to a laptop.  You cannot upload directly on an iPad.

 

The address of my blog is  https://2020halgwv.blogspot.com/ .

 

I know a number of other people will be blogging on the Amsterdam.  I will add them to my blog (look at the bottom of the page) when I know them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...