Going on Edge

charlielinda

I like the Edge. It currently has the best staff and who doesn't love a new ship. I sailed three days in an OV at the front of the ship and thought it was a fantastic value. The space is great, the bathrooms are a dream. The four restaurants are beautiful, thoughtfully serviced and I felt, because I am tired of the cut backs on the menu in Luminae better than Blu and Luminae. I have not stayed in an IV, but visited in them. I like the cabins better than Solstice because of the space and bathrooms.

I stayed in a beautiful Celebrity suite on the Edge crossing. I loved it. I spent a lot of time in the main dining room and I loved the suite spaces. There was plenty of shade and sun on the decks. Because there is an extra pool, none seemed as crowed. Yet the value for overall ship experience in lower categories has captured my attention. 

I don't know if the food in the new dining areas will stay at the high value I perceive them to be now, but if they do it answers many of the reasons I kept going up in category.

The walking area on the Edge beats the Solstice class by far. I haven't experienced overall ship service like this since my first Celebrity Cruise.

I think for anything less than an extended balcony on Solstice class the Edge has my vote. And that is only on cruises where you would be on the balcony and not particularly care about bathroom space.

The Eden part of the ship is wonderful for hanging out and having lunch, and it's free. 

It is a completely different product, if you sailed Celebrity a lot, you might be ready for a change.

I am back to Solstice class next, but if it sailed where we wanted to go, I would be on the Edge.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I rated. the Edge a 2.  If shore excursions were not a hot mess I would have given it a 3.  I give S class ships a 4.0.

The Edge has many many issues due to it being a new ship.

You cannot fix taking away the best of the S class ships!

Too bad that Celebrity has taken away the best of S class vs improving on it and making it a plus.  All marketing hype.

Many others give the Edge a 2 or 3.  The average Edge review is a lousy lousy 3.5.  The average S class ship is a 4.0.  The Edge is overhyped and underperforms.

But you did say 1 or 2 notches.  Also your mantra of “loud and shouty” was not part of your review.  It’s not an S Class ship and never promised to be, please read vtcruising sticky above.  Quoting you “Edge is overhyped and underperforms”, why are you so determined to upset those who have Edge cruises booked.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Oville said:

But you did say 1 or 2 notches.  Also your mantra of “loud and shouty” was not part of your review.  It’s not an S Class ship and never promised to be, please read vtcruising sticky above.  Quoting you “Edge is overhyped and underperforms”, why are you so determined to upset those who have Edge cruises booked.

A 3 or 3.5 could have been my score.  It is less than the S class.  3.5 would have been pushing it.  If I missed loud and shouty in my review I apologize.  It was loud and shouty!  You can’t take away entertainment venues and pack them into bigger spaces and have the same intimate experience.  The people who have Edge booked should know what to expect.  They should not spend time looking for the Sky Lounge, Cellar Masters or the other S class hits.  Furthermore their experience on the Magic Carpet May be laughter due to the high winds.

Do you want me to update my review with more details?  Don’t shoot the messenger.  

The Edge Cruise has pushed me over the Edge.  I am looking at Oceania, Crystal and others.  I do thank Celebrity for this!  

I went from RCL to Celebrity and enjoyed the experience.  Perhaps it is time to look for something better yet again.

Edited by NMTraveller

36 minutes ago, Oville said:

Nothing that I have said is different than others that have sailed on Edge.  Why the surprise?

55 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

The Edge Cruise has pushed me over the Edge.  I am looking at Oceania, Crystal and others.  I do thank Celebrity for this!  

I went from RCL to Celebrity and enjoyed the experience.  Perhaps it is time to look for something better yet again.

We’ve cruised Oceania not our cup of tea but great speciality restaurants.  We did enjoy Viking Ocean so you may want to add them to your list.

Fortunately when we sailed on the Edge we never had any expectations it would be like an S Class ship. We knew it wasn’t going to be, as we followed vtcruising’s thread on the Edge’s buildup. 

Edited by Oville

20 hours ago, Oville said:

Thank you!! 

Honestly, if I see “loud and shouty” one more time *I* may get “loud and shouty”. (And as an aside, how do we know it was not the *people* on that particular cruise that were “loud and shouty” as that poster is the only one who constantly mentions it?)

I’m very glad that I found @VTCruiser’s threads full of positivity and optimism - even while pointing out weaknesses on here to counterbalance the repetitive negative posts by a few. Otherwise I’d not be looking forward to February. As it stands I am very optimistic I will enjoy myself on my Edge cruise in my single-occupancy IV cabin!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Thank you!! 

Honestly, if I see “loud and shouty” one more time *I* may get “loud and shouty”. (And as an aside, how do we know it was not the *people* on that particular cruise that were “loud and shouty” as that poster is the only one who constantly mentions it?)

That poster also seems to think that anyone who doesn't agree with their assessment of Edge is wrong, rather than respecting that different people have different experiences and expectations. It's pretty rude to assume that because you don't like something, no one else should.

I just came off Edge a couple of weeks ago, a 9 night Southern Caribbean cruise. I never found Edge to be overly loud EXCEPT for when we sought out watching the white party on the pool deck or later evening entertainment in the central atrium a few times. The music was cranked up quite a bit at times for those events, but you could easily escape them by going elsewhere. It certainly wasn't pervasively loud everywhere on the ship and people were never "shouting" except one of the Eden characters as part of the warm up show, lol.

I did find FCS louder than Murano and missed Murano's more elegant setting with less background noise, but we were seated well away from the overlook and had no trouble carrying on a dinner conversation.

I'm pretty easily annoyed by overly noisy environments and I was perfectly happy with Edge. There were plenty of public places to sit away from the noise and our IV cabin felt very private and relaxing in the sunroom area. The four dining rooms had a much lower noise level and intimate feel than the huge grand MDR of S-class (was on Silhouette right before Edge, so had a fresh comparison).

My biggest complaint that might be linked to the topic of "unwanted noise" was that the 2-top tables for couples were ridiculously close together in the MDRs. To the point where it was impossible not to overhear conversations, whether you wanted to or not. One evening we had our mood seriously dampened by the elder couple next to us who were both in bad moods, and being quite nasty to each other. Sniping comments, insults, verbal jabs....it was embarrassing and awkward to be seated inches away. The wife hated almost all of her food and the husband was horribly cruel in how he spoke to her. He even got up from the table and just walked off halfway through dessert, leaving her at the table alone to finish. I can't remember exactly what he said as he left, but it was nasty. It was clear that he was done being in her company. It was sad and awful to think that this couple on the cruise were so unhappy, and it was hard for my DH and I to have a pleasant dinner listening to it.

In retrospect, perhaps we should have asked to be moved rather than tough it out next to the toxic couple. But with my wheelchair having to be brought to the table for me to hobble into (I broke my foot boarding and wasn't able to walk), a subtle exit wouldn't be possible. If that happens again on a future cruise, I do think I'd ask to move elsewhere though. It was quite depressing to listen to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m super excited about our upcoming cruise on Edge BECAUSE she’s not a tradition cruise ship.  One reason we stopped cruising was because it felt like the same thing over and over without much relief.  Having another option was what got us excited about cruising again, and although I’m sure we’ll get back on a more traditional ship in the future, it’s nice to know that something different with the Edge class ships is available as well.  Personally I think there’s room for these different type of ships.

Edited by Mauidiver
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Thank you!! 

I’m very glad that I found @VTCruiser’s threads full of positivity and optimism - even while pointing out weaknesses on here to counterbalance the repetitive negative posts by a few. Otherwise I’d not be looking forward to February. As it stands I am very optimistic I will enjoy myself on my Edge cruise in my single-occupancy IV cabin!

We just got off Edge on November 24th of this year. We booked that cruise in December 2017 in anticipation of all the “newness,” and the prospects of a move outside of our comfort level with the S Class and M Class ships. We read all of the comments, both positive and negative and kept our focus that all comments by others are not applicable to our situation...only we can decide what’s best for us. 

We boarded Edge, and frankly, on the first day, I thought we had lost our best friend, since everything was new, and I was now being asked to learn about the ship all over again. Little did I know that this would be an experience of a lifetime.

Edge was there for the taking...and we took every opportunity to learn all about her. That’s what was right for us and we are so pleased that we didn’t deprive ourselves of what Edge has to offer. To go on to the ship with pre-conceived notions was just unfair.

We are pleased that we had the opportunity to decide for ourselves, what is right for us. We can now make decisions around future Edge cruises with full information gained by actual experience.

For those who have not had the opportunity to sail on Edge, look at the glass as “half full” rather than “half empty.”

For us, this is the road on which we prefer to travel.

Randy

Edited by Schmoe38
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all.  We booked an Edge cruise in an aft corner S1 for January 2019 as well as an AQ cabin in April when bookings first opened.  Our final payment on the AQ cabin was before our January trip and we came so close to canceling it based on all the negative comments here on CC.  In the end we decided last minute to keep April and it ended up being one of our best cruises on Celebrity.  At some point we realized most of the negative comments were from those who had not and never would step foot on Edge or the very few who expected Edge to be just like the S Class.  

Deb, thanks for your comments and hope you foot is finally healing.  Katie

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Is there a walking track ?  Any impressions on it ?

There is and it’s quite nice.  It expands 2 decks so a bit uphill and downhill but nothing to strenuous.  Take a look at the deck plans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Oville said:

There is and it’s quite nice.  It expands 2 decks so a bit uphill and downhill but nothing to strenuous.  Take a look at the deck plans.

I agree.  I enjoyed the walking track very much.  Walked off a few waffles on the cruise.  😋

• Haha 1

On the Edge right now, I'll start blogging tomorrow since our first day settling in kept me very busy. My first impression is it's absolutely beautiful. The pictures do not do it justice. The staff have been stellar and I have not had issues with noise - we ate at Fine Cut overlooking the grand plaza and had no difficulty conversing even though DH and I both have hearing problems especially when there is a lot of ambient noise. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cdresser said:

On the Edge right now, I'll start blogging tomorrow since our first day settling in kept me very busy. My first impression is it's absolutely beautiful. The pictures do not do it justice. The staff have been stellar and I have not had issues with noise - we ate at Fine Cut overlooking the grand plaza and had no difficulty conversing even though DH and I both have hearing problems especially when there is a lot of ambient noise. 

We're on the Edge next week.  How did you enjoy the Fine Cut?  Did they offer any 1st day discounts?  I have a 4 night specialty package but will most likely cancel it.  We upgraded to a suite and I think the 4 night package is too much for a 7 night cruise with access to Luminae. 

Enjoy your cruise!  I'm glad you like the Edge so far.  Will you be posting your daily blogs here?  

Thanks

31 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

We're on the Edge next week.  How did you enjoy the Fine Cut?  Did they offer any 1st day discounts?  I have a 4 night specialty package but will most likely cancel it.  We upgraded to a suite and I think the 4 night package is too much for a 7 night cruise with access to Luminae. 

Enjoy your cruise!  I'm glad you like the Edge so far.  Will you be posting your daily blogs here?  

Thanks

We really liked Fine Cut. The food and service were outstanding and the portion sizes were good for us because we still had room for dessert. I don't know if there is a first night discount but I will find out and post the answer. Full disclosure, our moveup bid was accepted so we are in an edge villa which includes free dining in specialty restaurants. I'll be doing the blog this afternoon in a separate thread on this forum.

Off to a bike tour of Key West....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad EDGE is getting some well deserved love on this thread!  We very much enjoyed our recent ABC Island cruise in a Sunset Veranda..

Last time we were in BLU,  but enjoyed the 4 mdr plan even more.  We dine early and had fairly quiet , well situated tables for 2 in each if the venues.

Can't wait to hear more!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Schmoe38 said:

We just got off Edge on November 24th of this year. We booked that cruise in December 2017 in anticipation of all the “newness,” and the prospects of a move outside of our comfort level with the S Class and M Class ships. We read all of the comments, both positive and negative and kept our focus that all comments by others are not applicable to our situation...only we can decide what’s best for us. 

We boarded Edge, and frankly, on the first day, I thought we had lost our best friend, since everything was new, and I was now being asked to learn about the ship all over again. Little did I know that this would be an experience of a lifetime.

Edge was there for the taking...and we took every opportunity to learn all about her. That’s what was right for us and we are so pleased that we didn’t deprive ourselves of what Edge has to offer. To go on to the ship with pre-conceived notions was just unfair.

We are pleased that we had the opportunity to decide for ourselves, what is right for us. We can now make decisions around future Edge cruises with full information gained by actual experience.

For those who have not had the opportunity to sail on Edge, look at the glass as “half full” rather than “half empty.”

For us, this is the road on which we prefer to travel.

Randy

thank you and others for the positives.  I’m going with an open mind and having so many positive things to look forward and explore.  I love doing new things and so looking forward our Edge cruise.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2019 at 5:41 PM, NMTraveller said:

They had entertainment in Eden during our cruise.  Eden was always noisy and crowded in the evenings.  Our versions of quiet are drastically different.

it was really noisy and crowded during the silent disco.  🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

Thanks

On our 9 day cruise last month Fine Cut was VERY popular. We made our attempt to get reservations second day of cruise and only availability for two was 9 p.m. last night of cruise....so we missed our chance. 

If you want Dinner on the EDGE ( Magic Carpet),  try to reserve as soon as you board. Appears  very hard to get res for non suite/ Zenith guests.  We missed out but spoke to some who were lucky enough to go ..they loved it.  Cost was $95 pp, offered 2 port nights.

[PS   They do not tell you where you stand on the waiting list. ]