"Live from Nieuw Statendam December 8 - 22, 2019"

Crew News

As we prepare to leave Jamaica, the Captain (just promoted) announced that the winds were 25 knots causing the stern to slam into the dock.  Weather tomorrow is 25 knot winds for Grand Cayman and possible rain.  The winds and possible waves are similar to other cruises that have had to skip the port to avoid possible injuries during tendering. 

The Captain had to read the Mariner toast at last night's reception since he had never made the toast before that evening.

Stay tuned for more info as the Captain may have to make his first major cruise decision for Grand Cayman.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Not only is your view obstructed by lifeboats etc., but the deck itself is very narrow.  In some spots, only one person can walk single file.  I had to stop several times to allow someone else to pass.  Don't get me wrong.  I still walk this deck if only to burn the calories from all the goodies.  (I am not a person who likes exercise equipment.)

Don't allow the narrow Promenade to affect your decision to sail/not sail these two ships.  Both are beautiful and have much to offer.  Just understand going in that this deck is lacking if you want to walk and view the sea at the same time.

Thanks for your response! 

We spend a large portion of our time on the ship out on the Promenade Deck, walking and enjoying the ocean.

I found a Youtube video of the K-dam Promenade Deck and have seen some pictures online of the NS Promenade Deck.  We are both somewhat claustrophobic, and I simply can't see us being able to enjoy the Promenade Deck  😞  If there was a spectacular itinerary on the NS or K-dam, we'd still consider it.  But neither of those ships is a "must do" for us right now.

1 hour ago, VennDiagram said:

Thanks for your response! 

We spend a large portion of our time on the ship out on the Promenade Deck, walking and enjoying the ocean.

I found a Youtube video of the K-dam Promenade Deck and have seen some pictures online of the NS Promenade Deck.  We are both somewhat claustrophobic, and I simply can't see us being able to enjoy the Promenade Deck  😞  If there was a spectacular itinerary on the NS or K-dam, we'd still consider it.  But neither of those ships is a "must do" for us right now.

Totally understand.  We recently spent 65 days on the NS and K-dam and I do admit we weren't as eager to do laps on the promenade deck. We loved the ships otherwise, and the itineraries, but if you're somewhat claustrophobic I don't think you would enjoy it.  I'm not claustrophobic, but it was difficult maneuvering around people walking 3 or 4 across, and in the tighter spots even 2 across was impossible to pass.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Love the idea of the Lido table buttons. 

And feel free to every one of those chips, as long as you save me one 7” cookie.

For cookies, it is imperative that you get to the Dutch Cafe in the morning.  In the evening, only the almond cookies are left.

• Like 3

On 12/8/2019 at 11:58 PM, Crew News said:

Enroute to the Crow's Nest, I opted for chocolate chip cookies that were not in view and had to be retrieved from the Lido storage area.  The cookies appeared to be too uniform to be baked on board and lacked the buttery flavor of previous HAL chocolate chip cookies.  The giant chocolate chip cookies are no longer available in the new Crow's Nest configuration so I was directed to the Dutch Cafe, where two large cookies were found in the back and I was warned that big cookies disappear early.  I now know my first stop after a Club Orange breakfast.

Do you know where these cookies can be found on the Oosterdam? Enjoyed them very much on our Koningsdam cruise. 

43 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Thanks for this tip.  I know where I'll stop first after breakfast.  What time do they put these cookies out?

They open at 6:00 AM so not sure when the cookies appear.  I was advised to pick them up right after breakfast just to make certain that they are available.  I will ask how often new batches are baked.

i have never had a cookie that had so much chocolate, so chewy, could fall apart if not held carefully, and eaten most efficiently by breaking off small pieces.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Crew News said:

They open at 6:00 AM so not sure when the cookies appear.  I was advised to pick them up right after breakfast just to make certain that they are available.  I will ask how often new batches are baked.

i have never had a cookie that had so much chocolate, so chewy, could fall apart if not held carefully, and eaten most efficiently by breaking off small pieces.

Thanks for the info.  Oh my goodness, did you have to describe those cookies so well?  Wouldn't you know it---no cookies in the house tonight. 

I'm thinking of bringing galleon baggies to transport those cookies back to the cabin.  Can anyone say "late night snack?"  Eleven days until we board.  Can't wait.

Edited by sevenseasnomad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The day began with partly cloudy skies and temperature in the high 70's and bumpy seas. 

Today was another day of sleeping late and another late breakfast.  Having chosen a healthier diet, I took a step backwards and opted for the corn beef hash with poached egg.  I kept watch on the prep station from my high stool table and did not see my meal being prepared before it suddenly appeared from behind me. Probably from the MDR kitchen.  Total time for breakfast was 45 minutes.

With high winds and the threat of rain on the forecast, I chose to remain on board and catch up with scanning menus interspersed with a “business communications” video series. 

Dinner in Club Orange had a special veal cutlet that was my initial choice until I noticed the regular menu wiener schnitzel which I really liked on my last cruise.  The schnitzel covered over half the plate and was easily cut.  After living in Germany for many years the schnitzel was tasty but would have been better if smothered with mushroom gravy, AKA Jagerschnitzel.

I have noted that unlike the Koningsdam, my shower door has a clear gasket to ensure a tight closing, using the toilet does not require a five degree rotation of my knees, there is no nightlight near the bathroom door, and the Lido Market chairs are easier to push back from the tables. 

There are three US electrical outlets at my desk, two European outlets, and one USB port.  

The food and service in the Lido Market is exceptional with the servers going above and beyond to make customers happy.  Drinks are offered within seconds of taking a seat. 

My Room Steward, Matt, is one of the best.  The ship seems to be well maintained and the crew very accommodating.  Hopefully my opinions will not change as my cruise continues.

For those following this thread, I snagged the last two 6-inch chocolate chip cookies from the Dutch Café before the 5:00 PM sail-away.

Tomorrow is Gala Night (Gold Menu) and I will see if Club Orange makes a difference in surf & turf (actually just two lobster tails and no turf).

More later.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Do you know where these cookies can be found on the Oosterdam? Enjoyed them very much on our Koningsdam cruise. 

I have not been on the Oosterdam for some years but they should be available at the Explorations Cafe although they will not be as large as they are on the Pinnacle-class ships.

3 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

Can you please find out if the 5:00pm early dining is a fleet-wide change? And if late dining will continue to be at 8:00pm? Somehow I doubt that a three hour gap between seatings will be the new normal. 

I will ask but post your question on some of the other live threads too.

On previous Caribbean cruises, the earliest fixed dining I can remember was 5:15 PM which was right after 5:00 PM sail-aways from ports.   Last year on the Koningsdam dining times were 5:15 and 7:30 PM.  The majority of my sail-aways during my two weeks will be at 5:00 PM.

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2019 at 11:24 AM, Crew News said:

..................................I, and a few other passengers, remained on board while the ship was docked off the shore of Half Moon Cay. ..................................

Until that proposed Carnival-funded cruise dock is build at HMC, which will take some time, cruise ships do not "dock" off the island; they either drop an anchor and are then "anchored," or they don't drop an anchor and "stay on the engines" to remain in position, and are then "engined" (j/k) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

The day began with partly cloudy skies and temperature in the high 70's and bumpy seas. 

Today was another day of sleeping late and another late breakfast.  Having chosen a healthier diet, I took a step backwards and opted for the corn beef hash with poached egg.  I kept watch on the prep station from my high stool table and did not see my meal being prepared before it suddenly appeared from behind me. Probably from the MDR kitchen.  Total time for breakfast was 45 minutes.

With high winds and the threat of rain on the forecast, I chose to remain on board and catch up with scanning menus interspersed with a “business communications” video series. 

Dinner in Club Orange had a special veal cutlet that was my initial choice until I noticed the regular menu wiener schnitzel which I really liked on my last cruise.  The schnitzel covered over half the plate and was easily cut.  After living in Germany for many years the schnitzel was tasty but would have been better if smothered with mushroom gravy, AKA Jagerschnitzel.

I have noted that unlike the Koningsdam, my shower door has a clear gasket to ensure a tight closing, using the toilet does not require a five degree rotation of my knees, there is no nightlight near the bathroom door, and the Lido Market chairs are easier to push back from the tables. 

There are three US electrical outlets at my desk, two European outlets, and one USB port.  

The food and service in the Lido Market is exceptional with the servers going above and beyond to make customers happy.  Drinks are offered within seconds of taking a seat. 

My Room Steward, Matt, is one of the best.  The ship seems to be well maintained and the crew very accommodating.  Hopefully my opinions will not change as my cruise continues.

For those following this thread, I snagged the last two 6-inch chocolate chip cookies from the Dutch Café before the 5:00 PM sail-away.

Tomorrow is Gala Night (Gold Menu) and I will see if Club Orange makes a difference in surf & turf (actually just two lobster tails and no turf).

More later.

Thank you and danke for all of the info you're giving us.  Has anyone said why the seas are bumpy/choppy, as in is it always this way in December?  I remember from our first HAL cruise several years ago, which was in December also, that it was a bit bumpy then too.

I read from another review that their Schnitzel is pretty good.

When I talked to a lady on the phone from the Mariner Society, she told me that there is an embarkation lunch and a champagne brunch.  I've seen you, and maybe others, mention one or two Mariner lunches.  If you get a chance can you explain?  I'm sure we'll find out next week and also get the invitation(s), but am just wondering why she mentioned a brunch and you've mentioned lunches.

Hopefully there are enough of those jumbo cookies to go around 🙂 .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Crew News said:

As we prepare to leave Jamaica, the Captain (just promoted) announced that the winds were 25 knots causing the stern to slam into the dock.  Weather tomorrow is 25 knot winds for Grand Cayman and possible rain.  The winds and possible waves are similar to other cruises that have had to skip the port to avoid possible injuries during tendering. 

The Captain had to read the Mariner toast at last night's reception since he had never made the toast before that evening.

Stay tuned for more info as the Captain may have to make his first major cruise decision for Grand Cayman.

Newly promoted Captain Kevin Beirnaert is HAL's very first Belgian master. There have been a couple of Belgian hotel directors before, but not a captain until now, Gefeliciteerd/Congrats to him!

• Like 3

On 12/10/2019 at 7:33 PM, Crew News said:

...........................................The entrance to the MDR had as many ship's officers greeting guests as the reception that I just left.  There were no officer's at the entrance to Club Orange.  ..................................

The reason for having multiple officers greet guests at the MDR on gala nights is because those same officers will be hosting dinner tables in that same MDR post greeting formalities. There is no hosting of tables by officers in Club Orange so therefor no officers at the CO entrance

3 hours ago, smilesntravels said:

When I talked to a lady on the phone from the Mariner Society, she told me that there is an embarkation lunch and a champagne brunch.  I've seen you, and maybe others, mention one or two Mariner lunches.  If you get a chance can you explain?  I'm sure we'll find out next week and also get the invitation(s), but am just wondering why she mentioned a brunch and you've mentioned lunches.

a) Everyone is allowed to eat in the dining room (while it is still open for lunch) on embarkation day. It used to be that only Mariner Society members could do so.

b) There will be two Mariner lunches during the cruise if the number of Mariner members cannot be accommodated in just one sitting. You would receive an invitation to attend one, not both if there are two.

Someone else will need to answer about the brunch.

5 hours ago, Crew News said:

Can you provide the link to where your pictures/scanned items are posted? I missed seeing it in earlier posts.

Thanks.

9 hours ago, Crew News said:

More later.

Will follow threads just for cookie descriptions. 😎

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Crew News said:

I have not been on the Oosterdam for some years but they should be available at the Explorations Cafe although they will not be as large as they are on the Pinnacle-class ships.

@Cruise Suzy

Never saw a cookie anywhere near Explorations. Biscotti and small croissants, but not a cookie. I was on the Oosterdam for 17 days in October/November.  Now they had amazing, but small peanut butter cookies near the ice cream/frozen yogurt station of the Lido at lunchtime.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

@Cruise Suzy

Never saw a cookie anywhere near Explorations. Biscotti and small croissants, but not a cookie. I was on the Oosterdam for 17 days in October/November.  Now they had amazing, but small peanut butter cookies near the ice cream/frozen yogurt station of the Lido at lunchtime.

Thanks for the info, although not what I wanted to hear! Guess I'll have to find something else for my mid-morning sweet tooth cravings. Not that it will be difficult, mind you.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, caribill said:

a) Everyone is allowed to eat in the dining room (while it is still open for lunch) on embarkation day. It used to be that only Mariner Society members could do so.

b) There will be two Mariner lunches during the cruise if the number of Mariner members cannot be accommodated in just one sitting. You would receive an invitation to attend one, not both if there are two.

Someone else will need to answer about the brunch.

Thank you.  The lady on the phone did say the embarkation lunch is open to everyone, I just didn't say it in my post.  Hmmm, so maybe it's a mystery champagne brunch she was talking about.  I'm looking forward to the high teas and the new eating spots on this ship!