Shore Excursions in Tortola

The Cruiseman 1

Baths were ok, but @ $119 was expensive for what you got.  Also note that path is one way so take time to enjoy the boulders and shallow water as you go through.  Takes about 45 minutes after the hike down for this section, so don't rush through.

We always go to Joss Van Dyke.  Get right off the ship and on to another.  We took the Encore at Thanksgiving and took the 2nd extrusion.  Leaving around 10:00 and return 2:30ish.  Great time.   Call NCL they always have this in Tortolla.

• Like 1

If you cant get to Jost Van Dyke grab a cab and head to Sebatians on the Beach. 15 min to the northern side of the island. Awesome beach, bar and restaurant right on the beach. You can even see White Bay in the distance. Last time we went there we had the beach to ourselves for about 2 hrs.

20190115_113412.jpg

Jost van Dyke one of the best beaches I have ever been on, went on the early AM (if I recall like 730 departure) but the time got you out of the direct hot sun mid day and you had and enough time after to hang out in the port if you wanted to

Downside to the early am time if not a lot of food options that early..got a little hangry LOL

We did the baths. They are quite easy to do on your own. Can walk to the ferry pier from the cruise ship pier. Tickets were not very expensive (think round trip was around $30pp). Once you get to Virgin Gorda there are open air taxis that will take you there and bring you back for a set fee. Tell your taxi driver when you want to return and he will be waiting for you. We made sure to return on the second to last ferry that would return us to the ship on time so that if things fell apart we had a backup ferry to take.

I would highly recommend doing them on your own. They can be difficult to navigate and very tight spaces. Trying to get through them with a large group would have taken alot of time.

Edited by sanger727

I have also sourced excursions for Tortolla.  We are on the Feb 2 Encore and were interested in an island tour.

Best results we have heard is to exit ship and walk until you see the open air tour trucks.  Island tour is around 20.00  we heard.

We did this same thing in St Thomas . Was 6 of us and driver took us all over the island for 25.00 ea.

We opted to take a cab to Smugglers Cove. It was about a 30 minute or so drive but it was worth it. The beach was stunning and secluded. The taxi driver even waited there until we were ready to leave! Highly recommend if you're looking for a nice beach escape without any of the crowds.

2 hours ago, Greek Boss said:

We opted to take a cab to Smugglers Cove. It was about a 30 minute or so drive but it was worth it. The beach was stunning and secluded. The taxi driver even waited there until we were ready to leave! Highly recommend if you're looking for a nice beach escape without any of the crowds.

How much was the taxi per person ?   How long did you spend there and if you snorkeled there, how was it.

Were there any restaurants or bathroom facilities there?    

Thanks in advance for your help !

We took one of the open air buses to Cane Garden Bay .Cost was $8 pp each way . They had facilities with chair rentals . There were a number of places to eat and drink on the beach . Very scenic drive and our driver narrated what we were seeing . Water and beach were really nice.

Jost Van Dyke is a great option, but the NCL excursion is almost twice the price that Celebrity charges so we could not justify it on our recent cruise. Check out Aristocat Charters. It’s a catamaran snorkel tour. It was 6 hours for $135/person. They made three snorkel stops, served us lunch and drinks. Need at least 10 but they don’t take more than about 20. They didn’t have a charter open initially for our date, but they opened one and made it work. Highly recommended. Just do a Google search for Aristocat Charters. 

14 hours ago, delaware32 said:

We took one of the open air buses to Cane Garden Bay .Cost was $8 pp each way . They had facilities with chair rentals . There were a number of places to eat and drink on the beach . Very scenic drive and our driver narrated what we were seeing . Water and beach were really nice.

Was it easy to get a cab back to the boat?

It was. When you get off the ship you walk through the shopping area . At the end of the area make a left and there is a fleet of buses . Price is posted . The driver clearly stated how often we could get a bus back . If I remember they did a run back every 30 minutes but they will tell you .

I have heard the Bikini beach at the Orient is nice with lots of chairs, umbrellas, food and a nice beach. It tends to get crowded but I don’t care about that. I just need a lounge chair, umbrella, good food and frosty drinks with a lovely beach and water to make me happy. Apparently, it is an 8 dollar cab ride right from the dock.

17 hours ago, funji1 said:

How much was the taxi per person ?   How long did you spend there and if you snorkeled there, how was it.

Were there any restaurants or bathroom facilities there?    

Thanks in advance for your help !

There were three of us, and it was $20 per person round trip. For a 30 minute or so ride each way and the fact that he waited there to take us back whenever we were ready, it was totally worth it. A hidden gem in Tortola. There were maybe 6 or 7 people total on the beach. A woman had a small stand there and was selling basic snacks such as potato chips and pretzels, and drinks such as water and even a few alcoholic beverages. We were there for about 3 hours. We didn't snorkel, however the water was crystal clear. Can't remember seeing bathroom facilities there. I think there was one but not entirely sure. I will post pictures here from my phone in a bit. Highly recommend for a beach day away from the tourists!

5 hours ago, Greek Boss said:

There were three of us, and it was $20 per person round trip. For a 30 minute or so ride each way and the fact that he waited there to take us back whenever we were ready, it was totally worth it. A hidden gem in Tortola. There were maybe 6 or 7 people total on the beach. A woman had a small stand there and was selling basic snacks such as potato chips and pretzels, and drinks such as water and even a few alcoholic beverages. We were there for about 3 hours. We didn't snorkel, however the water was crystal clear. Can't remember seeing bathroom facilities there. I think there was one but not entirely sure. I will post pictures here from my phone in a bit. Highly recommend for a beach day away from the tourists!

Thank you !  That sounds like a good day to me!!