RCCL Antigua Beach Express excursion

rcrdale

I am doing some research for our group for our cruise next year.  Was wondering if anyone has done the Royal Caribbean excursion Antigua Beach Express?  It shows the beach is a 10 minute drive from the port so I don't think it is Ffryes Beach.  I was just trying to figure out what beach it is.  Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me.

On 12/8/2019 at 5:49 PM, rcrdale said:

I am doing some research for our group for our cruise next year.  Was wondering if anyone has done the Royal Caribbean excursion Antigua Beach Express?  It shows the beach is a 10 minute drive from the port so I don't think it is Ffryes Beach.  I was just trying to figure out what beach it is.  Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me.

Possibly "Fort Bay" (Fort James) to the section they have, or not yet, purchased. 

There was talk early last year that RCCL are to open their own beach bar/club at Fort James in 2021, this to keep all the revenue and profits outside Antigua, giving very  little back to the Island.  Babylon?

9 hours ago, rcrdale said:

Thanks, sounds like one place to avoid.

As you are researching for a group, and not wish to blow their budgets, then consider Christine's, It was recently taken over by  the Sheer Rocks (great place but no beach), and they have improved everything., from chefs, to food, to drinks, to staff, and ambience.

Although a little further from the quay, it coukd suit all your members perfectly.  Best to book you day/lunch (cater for all allergies etc) as beds are limited to guests only.  

No T'erds

Take a look at their website, and exchange with them on all your Group.'s requirements.  It's good to talk.  They will be happy to work with you to ensure a great day was had by all.

4 hours ago, aquidneck1 said:

Hi,  Are you saying that there is no beach at Catherine's Cafe?  Thanks!

Sorry if I did not explain with clarity.  

Sheer Rocks is a great place to chill with a great restaurant with lite bite Lunch menu, but Sheer Rocks has no beach.  Catherine's (with a beach) was taken over by Sheer Rocks who raised the standards of Catherine's Café for service, food and drinks.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

• 1 year later...

Thank you so much for posting Royal's answer to your question.  I just had the same question about my future cruise to Antigua (fingers crossed, etc.), so your thread has really helped me.  Dickinson Bay Beach gets glowing reviews on Trip Advisor, so it gives me a lot to think about. The alternative would be the Rum Bus Beach trip to Crabbe's Hill beach, which Fodor's calls "deserted" but also says is filled with "notable beach bar restaurants". I feel like that is a contradiction, but I suspect Antigua is so wonderful I can't really go wrong.  :)

10 minutes ago, Megachill said:

Thank you so much for posting Royal's answer to your question.  I just had the same question about my future cruise to Antigua (fingers crossed, etc.), so your thread has really helped me.  Dickinson Bay Beach gets glowing reviews on Trip Advisor, so it gives me a lot to think about. The alternative would be the Rum Bus Beach trip to Crabbe's Hill beach, which Fodor's calls "deserted" but also says is filled with "notable beach bar restaurants". I feel like that is a contradiction, but I suspect Antigua is so wonderful I can't really go wrong.  🙂

Rum Bus has a very lively vibe, and best to book beds or cabanas in advance.

If you wish a piece of luxury, consider Jacqui O’s for lunch/drinks/day, just along the beach from Rum Bus.  Then for a nice reasonable price lunch at a driftwood restaurant then give a thought to OJ’s, in between JO and RB

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

any updates on this?

Thanks to Covid and an unvaxxed kid, we may be limited to ship-only tours. I hope it changes by November, but I am not holding my breath. In preparation for this I have just booked the Beach Express for all 5 of us. I really wanted Beach Escape because it includes chaises, but the tour leaves at 12:30 pm, which is very late for us personally, because we don't like being in the sun between 1 and 4. Beach Express leaves at 10:30 am which is a lot more reasonable. The ship is in St John between 9 am and 5 pm.

Any thoughts? We just want a low key beach outing with some shade (no problem paying for umbrellas/chaises), preferably on a quiet side. We don't need any food or drinks.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

53 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

any updates on this?

Thanks to Covid and an unvaxxed kid, we may be limited to ship-only tours. I hope it changes by November, but I am not holding my breath. In preparation for this I have just booked the Beach Express for all 5 of us. I really wanted Beach Escape because it includes chaises, but the tour leaves at 12:30 pm, which is very late for us personally, because we don't like being in the sun between 1 and 4. Beach Express leaves at 10:30 am which is a lot more reasonable. The ship is in St John between 9 am and 5 pm.

Any thoughts? We just want a low key beach outing with some shade (no problem paying for umbrellas/chaises), preferably on a quiet side. We don't need any food or drinks.

The only truly quiet side, low key, shabby chic, with beds etc are Cecelia’s and Jacque O’s.  But they are places where one books in advance for lunch/drinks/day/etc.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Correction Cecelias
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

The only truly quiet side, low key, shabby chic, with beds etc are Cecelia’s and Jacque O’s.  But they are places where one books in advance for lunch/drinks/day/etc.

Thought.

If all you want is a bed etc and use of facilities, then suggest Turners.

Although it is considered busy, there is a way round this.  On arrival walk towards the sea, the bar and toilets are to your left, with souvenir and clothing stalls to your right.  Ask for your beds and umbrella to be placed on the far side of (behind) the stalls to your right (empty beach area), as this could be considered away from people and thereby quieter.

A $5.00 tip for this service would be appreciated 

Edited by PORT ROYAL

55 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Thanks. We don't want a bed. We are fine with chaises and umbrellas.

We don't have a choice of a beach since at this time we are limited to what RCI offers during our cruise, and the tour descriptions for either Beach Escape or Beach Express do not specify which beach we may be going to.

9 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Thanks. We don't want a bed. We are fine with chaises and umbrellas.

We don't have a choice of a beach since at this time we are limited to what RCI offers during our cruise, and the tour descriptions for either Beach Escape or Beach Express do not specify which beach we may be going to.

In the past think RCL went to Dickersons or Turners for either tour.  
Can only speak for past knowledge of Turners where the RCL lounger setup being usually congested into one small area (think Sardines).  This RCL area being far from the sea and bar/facilities.  Would not think either beach could be considered “quiet”.  If you get Turners $5.00 could enable your loungers to be moved to the quiet area.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 6:02 PM, rcrdale said:

Thanks, sounds like one place to avoid.

Check out Beach Limerz...on Fort James Beach....it IS 10 minutes from the port, and Gail will arrange for a taxi to pick you up. Here are videos from the last times we were there. Tell Gail and Barry that Jim and Toni from Connecticut sent you! 🙂

Edited by SonuvaBeach

• 1 year later...
On 7/23/2021 at 1:12 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

for either Beach Escape or Beach Express do not specify which beach we may be going to.

Did you end up going on the beach express in Antigua? If so, could you tell us which beach it was and if you liked it? Thanks!

27 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

Sounds good. How far away from the port is it?

20 minutes out, add 10 for return (heavy port traffic)

https://visitantiguabarbuda.com/destinations/turners-beach-bar-restaurant/

On exiting t(e port into t(e duty free shops area, there will be many taxi captains plying their trade with vigour, just ask for Turners and you’ll be directed to a holding area for the shared minibus.  Waits are short…

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

20 minutes out, add 10 for return (heavy port traffic)

https://visitantiguabarbuda.com/destinations/turners-beach-bar-restaurant/

On exiting t(e port into t(e duty free shops area, there will be many taxi captains plying their trade with vigour, just ask for Turners and you’ll be directed to a holding area for the shared minibus.  Waits are short…

Great. Thanks so much!