White Island erupts.

3 minutes ago, Esilef said:Is there any other cruise ships expected in the area of the island today?

The nearest port is Tauranga and that is ghouls away - so ships aren’t really in the area - The port has capacity for multiple ships - we’ve been there when 3 ships (varying sizes) were docked

6 minutes ago, PinonNoir said:

Wow, we are booked to go to the island by helicopter in March. 

That may well be still achieved but at a distance a little further away and definitely not over the crater. We have done a heli flight over the volcano in Hawaii, they can get close to lava flows and such but keep well clear of the actual crater.

Thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected.

It will be a sad and somber debark when the Ovation returns to Sydney on Monday. Not looking forward to working that day at all. An eerie feeling knowing that I may have helped some of the victims when they boarded last week.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

That may well be still achieved but at a distance a little further away and definitely not over the crater. We have done a heli flight over the volcano in Hawaii, they can get close to lava flows and such but keep well clear of the actual crater.

We were supposed to land in the crater just like the helicopter seen in some of the footage.  I'm going to assume that will no longer be an option after this.

Woken up this morning to confirmation of what was the likely scenario of many fatalities - very sad for the families & loved ones of the victims, for the local communities, the NZ people, Australian people & others from around the world who have been impacted by this tragedy. Also I think of the crew of the ship, and the fellow passengers - one can only imagine what they are thinking right now.

For us that are members of  the 'cruisers' community it impacts us, almost personally, when something like this happens - it makes it very close to home, even though we don't know the victims personally. RIP for the victims, condolences to loved ones and safe travels to all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cheznandy said:

We are on Carnival Splendor, just docked in Sydney and news is just filtering through about this tragic event.
An announcement was just made on board that all media activity has been cancelled for the arrival of this ship in respect of Ovation of the Seas and passengers.
It was a sombre sail in this morning, with one tug with water spray.

Thoughts and prayers to all on Ovation.

Sent from my MAR-LX2 using Tapatalk

That is a very respectful thing for Carnival to do.  

Tragic event.  One wonders if the tour operator involved 'White Island Tours'  does a daily risk assessment.  On Monday afternoon the alert level on White Island was Level 3 - high. 

That is all I will say on the matter, I am sure all will be revealed at any future coronial inquest. 

Prayers and thoughts with those impacted upon.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

There is an inherent sense that whatever ship's tours we take are safe and we will return no worse for wear than when we left.  I'm heartsick over this event my thoughts are with family, friends and other passengers at this very sad time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Ovation will leave Tauranga at 6.15 this evening.

It was announced they had 38 passengers on the Island. 
Some critically burnt  people have been transferred to Middlemore Hospital burns unit .

Also some to Lower  Hutt (Wellington) burns unit.   At least they are all  covered by our no-fault accident system (ACC) - so all costs will be covered by the NZ health system. No fighting with insurers for the medical care 

• Like 2

More news from New Zealand Herald -

"A magnitude 5.3 earthquake has rattled the Gisborne area and around the east cape, including near the scene of yesterday's White Island eruption.

The shallow quake struck 25km south of Gisborne just before 1pm. It was widely felt in Whakatāne, which is still reeling from the volcanic eruption."

New Zealand is at risk for volcanic eruptions and earthquakes are common here.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kiwichick62 said:

More news from New Zealand Herald -

"A magnitude 5.3 earthquake has rattled the Gisborne area and around the east cape, including near the scene of yesterday's White Island eruption.

The shallow quake struck 25km south of Gisborne just before 1pm. It was widely felt in Whakatāne, which is still reeling from the volcanic eruption."

New Zealand is at risk for volcanic eruptions and earthquakes are common here.

More volcanic action and tremors are likely then.

18 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Always seemed a big risk to go on a tour here. And now it's eventuated.

No more risky then taking a helicopter tour or white water rafting. 

We did this tour on a land based trip to NZ. It was exceptional & very well run.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joejoe 59 said:

No more risky then taking a helicopter tour or white water rafting. 

We did this tour on a land based trip to NZ. It was exceptional & very well run.

I can think of a couple of places where similar tours may be conducted - Hawaii, Iceland? Are there crater tours there? If so, should they all be stopped?

• Like 1