Ovation of the Seas Pax Possibly Injured in Volcanic Eruption

SeaHunt

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I believe that Royal pulled their link.  Someone posted a while ago  an archived link that showed them offering the tour.

...which, not having the timeline, is why I phrased my wording as I did.  But I would be curious when the archived link was dated and when it was actually pulled from the active offerings.  

Edited by leaveitallbehind

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

...which is why I phrased my wording as I did.  But I would be curious when the archived link was dated and when it was actually pulled from the active offerings.  

My guess is that it was pulled after the accident and they were on a Royal excursion.  That’s how I interpreted the original post about the links

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Slightly off topic but just a few years ago the Natural Bridge in Aruba collapsed in the middle of the night. We went on a Royal Excursion to this area as part of the the tour. Luckily, nobody was on this natural wonder as part of the tour was to walk across the bridge (optional). There is a baby bridge but it has since been restricted access. 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

3 minutes ago, Woodinville said:

Thanks --  did look in "Way Back Machine" (Internet archive and did not see a prior page) if they did that it would be an affront to transparency, wouldn't it. 

Yes - especially as there are those who will be able to confirm if the affected tour was purchased through RCI or independently.

30 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

...which, not having the timeline, is why I phrased my wording as I did.  But I would be curious when the archived link was dated and when it was actually pulled from the active offerings.  

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:avGPCbpUAvUJ:www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do%3FsourcePage%3DshorexByPort%26ProductCode%3DTR93%26DestinationCode%3D+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

"It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on 4 Dec 2019 22:47:12 GMT."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is the point of all these conspiracy theories? What possible difference does it make who the tour was purchased through? It stands to reason that if the tour was offered through Royal Caribbean the previous ad would have been pulled as it obviously is no longer a viable option as a tour offering. Does that mean that RCI is pulling a cloak and dagger ploy to pretend that they never offered the tour?

Instead of playing  amateur detective and lawyer why not just wait for actual facts to come out instead of conjecture.

• Like 25

2 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

What is the point of all these conspiracy theories? What possible difference does it make who the tour was purchased through? It stands to reason that if the tour was offered through Royal Caribbean the previous ad would have been pulled as it obviously is no longer a viable option as a tour offering. Does that mean that RCI is pulling a cloak and dagger ploy to pretend that they never offered the tour?

Instead of playing  amateur detective and lawyer why not just wait for actual facts to come out instead of conjecture.

Well said.  I "liked" this post.  I would "love" it if I could

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

I don't interpret anyone with the recent posts of suggesting or doing any of that. Certainly not me. Speaking for myself, I was only reacting to the information posted in a logical manner with no accusations or implications included.

That being said I completely agree with you on awaiting for the facts to completely unfold.  In fact, as I've posted all along on this thread the thoughts should be with those affected.  There is plenty of time for the rest later.

31 minutes ago, picsa said:

Thanks - have updated the piece to reflect that sometime between 04 December and 11 December, RCI removed the offering of this shore excursion. 

CB

What’s purpose of this thread? If it’s to pay respects then it should be limited to that and tightly moderated. 
Anything else is tasteless conjecture by amateur (uninformed) lawyers. Other commentary is on a par with rubber necking a road accident. Some people have suffered horrific injuries. Thoughts and prayers to those. Others have lost their lives. RIP. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SmashatSea said:

I am currently on Ovation. With binoculars from North Star you could see a slight plume hours later. The island was 46 nautical miles from where the sip was docked but very much visible. It was an eerie thing to know that devastation occurred just across the water in eye sight and was quite literally still happening with many unaccounted for still on the island. 

All that matters is that I'm thankful that you are safe; life is fleeting and precious.

• Like 3

My cousin is on a Silverseas cruise at Christmas out of Auckland and one of the tours advertised is a helicopter trip to land and walk on the volcano crater.So it seems to have been a commonly offered trip by cruise lines.

I find some of the comments and conjecture on legal action against RCI quite sickening. 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 4

I just saw that two more people that were being treated in the hospital have passed away. I believe there are still 8 people still unaccounted for, believed to to have died on the island. 

Situations like this are heartbreaking but I do not believe the cruise line or even the tour operators are to blame (unless some sort of gross negligence is found). Many people choose to do this types of adventures, despite the risk. While I can't say that this particular excursion is something I would have done I have traveled places and experienced things others would consider too risky for them. 

Our local news is following the updates from the honeymoon couple.....he used to live a mere 15 miles from where we live in Hermitage Pa.  

His mother left yesterday for New Zealand to be with her son and daughter in law.

She said she initially missed one call from him after the accident and he left a  message on her answering machine.  She was not able to get in touch with him at the number he gave her.  Then later yesterday she was able to get a call from him before she was leaving for Pittsburgh airport.  She said...................yes he is injured, but with treatment and another surgery he will need time to recover.  As for her daughter in law, she offered no updates other than what the news said, that she is in another hospital and is on a ventilator and sedated.

Locally we are waiting for her updates. This news was all I have at this time.

Prayers for this couple and all involved for speedy recovery.

Safer travels.

• Like 5

8 now confirmed dead but so many more still unaccounted for. Tragic. Sad Day. I would not want to be onboard. I expect that RCI is offering counselling to those onboard if needed. 

As so many Australians are involved in the injury and death toll then of course questions are being asked as the peak season of cruising has just arrived into Australia and NZ and it must be ascertained the degree of risk in such excursions. Unfortunately the media just stokes the issue. 

Edited by Pushka

2 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Um, it is like 30 to 50 miles as the seagull flies between the port and White Island.  So, if it was a clear day, maybe the cloud could be seen if it went really high.  Good grief.

jc

Thanks for the unsolicited critique.  Um?

Latest updates from police https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/405338/whakaari-white-island-eruption-police-give-update-on-recovery 

2 Australian school boys/brother have been confirmed dead - death toll is now 8. https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/405321/live-whakaari-white-island-eruption-day-4  

Chilling account from a medical person in Whakatane hospital (the nearest town). And before the conspiracy peeps start he wants anonimity because its a very small town and he probably doesn't want to have to comment on this  every time he's in public for the rest of his life https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/118113442/whakaari-bedlam-at-whakatne-hospital-as-worker-describes-eruption-aftermath 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The whole situation is absolutely tragic, especially for the critically injured survivors. 

I would say though, had I been in the same situation and knowing it was a Level 2 rating, I would have taken the tour. I would also still consider taking a tour of a potentially active volcano and would accept the risks.

The big question will be around whether the tour group were aware of the risks (I presume they signed waivers) and I'm sure the survivors will be questioned as to how much risk they thought they were being exposed to. I suspect the RCCL will be in for a rough ride over this, but quite honestly I doubt anyone in their cruise excursions department onboard ship or in head office envisioned this situation and would never knowingly have exposed their passengers (and their company reputation) to this kind of risk. Over the years I can think of a number of shore excursions that haven't gone to plan (including alaskan seaplane trips and tour group attacks in africa) and perhaps the industry needs a shake up with the cruise line taking on a greater duty of care for its passengers on ship booked tours. 

They signed the waiver and were informed of risk. There is risk and then there is danger. If it is sorted out that there was a very high probability that this could happen the company that took them (I assume RCL contracts with the local tour company) could be in some serious legal jeopardy. It sounds as initial facts role in that a tourist attraction was kept open to make lots of $$$ and should have been closed.  But early so we will see.