Alaska, which is better glacier bay or Tracy Arm?

Norsk129

6 hours ago, Norsk129 said:

Which ones better for first time cruisers and why?

If you can't get in tracy arm what do they do?

I was quite happy I found a cruise that did both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm.  I was quite convinced that I was only ever going to Alaska once (I don't do cold well), so this was an important question for me, also, on our first Alaska trip.  Yes, "first", it only took about 3 days to realize that I'd be returning.

I've been to Glacier Bay twice and Edicott Arm once.  We were supposed to go to Tracy Arm but couldn't get through due to ice as it was early in the season.  They are really quite different. When cruising down Endicott Arm,  I loved cruising down the arm seeing all the seals with the baby seals on the icebergs.  I found the scenery as we were sailing down the arm in a narrow channel with land close by on each side to be stunning.  We saw different wildlife  including seals, sea otters and birds and even a bear on the shore. Glacier Bay was beautiful but vast.  You are not as close to the land but the overall landscapes are beautiful.  Several glaciers are in the area.  I didn't see any wild  life cruising around Glacier Bay as compared to Endicott Arm. 

I cruised Glacier Bay in September.  Maybe it was just our Captain but on the way in, we sailed very close to land on the starboard side before going to Margerie Glacier.  We saw 4 brown bears up on their hind legs wrestling.  We were told it was a mother and 3 grown cubs.  We also saw sea otters, seals, and sea lions.  When exiting, we sailed past Marble Island, which is loaded with hundreds of sea lions. 

We got very close to Marjerie Glacier.  The calving was very active and it was awesome.  I too recommend Glacier Bay over Tracy Arm. 

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

I cruised Glacier Bay in September.  Maybe it was just our Captain but on the way in, we sailed very close to land on the starboard side before going to Margerie Glacier.  We saw 4 brown bears up on their hind legs wrestling.  We were told it was a mother and 3 grown cubs.  We also saw sea otters, seals, and sea lions.  When exiting, we sailed past Marble Island, which is loaded with hundreds of sea lions. 

We got very close to Marjerie Glacier.  The calving was very active and it was awesome.  I too recommend Glacier Bay over Tracy Arm. 

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

I would choose Glacier Bay also. Been there twice and will defiantly go again. Ice blocks the cruise ships from getting into Tracy Arm on many occasions. If you want a good chance to get into Tracy Arm  and close up do an excursion out of Juneau.

Been to Glacier Bay well over 20 times and never failed to enter and see glaciers. Some times the weather was dreadful, but we always experienced the Ranger talks and saw the glaciers.

For Tracy Arm, only ever made it to the end once, but note it is spectacular. Sadly ships often can't enter due to ice and if they can enter, rarely make it up to the end.

While Tracy Arm is spectacular, if I was on my first and possibly only Alaska Cruise, I would recommend Glacier Bay, especially for the Ranger talks.

16 hours ago, Norsk129 said:

Which ones better for first time cruisers and why?

If you can't get in tracy arm what do they do?

Howdy Norsk129 and welcome to Cruise Critic! emo22.gif

Thank you for your post on the Ask a Cruise Question forum! 👍 

However since your inquiry concerns Alaska, I have moved your thread to the  Ports of Call - Alaska forum where it will be on-topic. Now that you are on this new forum, please browse through the other thread titles here looking for those related to your inquiry. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers regarding the same topic. emo3.gif

Cruise Critic is a great resource and we are so glad you found us! emo34.gif  Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community  list. Read a few threads in various forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads on the top of the first page of threads in a forum. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Please remember the following stated in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free memberships:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

Anytime you want to start a new thread on any forum, make sure you are on the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This greatly helps the members that know the information so they will reply to you. It is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic or concerning one cruise line, ship, port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. emo3.gif  You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship, port or sail date in your inquiry if it will help the members to be able to help you.

For finding fellow Cruise Critic members sailing with you on your cruise, please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call . Please note tour share requests may only be posted on the Roll Call thread for your cruise sail date and in no other forum.

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to go to our Member Cruise Reviews section and submit your review for publication!

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

We've been to both and IMHO Tracy Arm scenery is more spectacular because you're in a fjord and one of its arms to approach the glacier.  We did it in Sept. and there were still a lot of small pieces of ice in the after.  I imagine the trip up the glacier is spring and into the summer would be difficult as there would be more ice floating around.  Finally, we were on a HAL ship (one of the older ones, all of which are smaller than Princess ships) so that may have been the "key" to our success.

5 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

We've been to both and IMHO Tracy Arm scenery is more spectacular because you're in a fjord and one of its arms to approach the glacier.  We did it in Sept. and there were still a lot of small pieces of ice in the after.  I imagine the trip up the glacier is spring and into the summer would be difficult as there would be more ice floating around.  Finally, we were on a HAL ship (one of the older ones, all of which are smaller than Princess ships) so that may have been the "key" to our success.

A small ship doesn't always mean success. I was on a small boat and missed it 2x. He probably could have gotten us in but it would have taken 3 plus more hours and we had to get back to the port to get back on our ship. 

Edited by Coral

• 7 months later...

First time on Alaskan Cruise. One day in Tracy Arm Fjord- i always before cruising choose the port side, but considering this particular day should I choose the starboard side? Or does it matter at all? 

thanks 

OK=  I'm going to disagree.  🙂    For me-  I totally dismiss the "best" claims.    Every trip is different,  and in Alaska,  there is never any "best",  for me.      The closeness of Tracy and Endicott Arms,  is spectacular.    I've been in both multiple times,  and  don't agree-  you get closer to Margerie in Glacier Bay-  which over the years, has resided  significantly and doesn't have the calving it used to.  

Ok I'm jaded-   but, I also think it could be a mistake giving a single day out of a 7++ day cruise,  as much priority as the "must do",  claims.    EVERY day of an Alaska cruise is important.  and it isn't sloppy seconds-  IF you go to Hubbard,  Endicott, Sawyer or College Fjords on your trip.   

I certainly haven't been on ships-   with a non Glacier Bay-  sailing-  ending with - a boatload of disappointed passengers,  claiming-  any of the other glacier experiences-  was a huge disappointment.   NO-  there are raves,  and an air of-  how wonderful the day was.  🙂    (I feel, I'm entitled to make this claim based on my experience of over 80 Alaska cruises).       But-  perhaps-  best advice-  make your own choices,  you'll absolutely enjoy your Alaska visit.   🙂   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shock1998 said:

First time on Alaskan Cruise. One day in Tracy Arm Fjord- i always before cruising choose the port side, but considering this particular day should I choose the starboard side? Or does it matter at all? 

thanks 

Your asking about cabin?    Both sides are equally scenic,   but again,  just my suggestion,  in the Arm,  being on the move is essential for me.    IF you do get a view of the South Sawyer-  it is only going to be partial and a significant distance away.     Sawyer Island can be the turn around-     you're getting a gift if the ship sails further-    views will mostly be forward of the glacier.   

4 hours ago, Shock1998 said:

thanks 

Side of the ship (for your cabin) doesn't matter. You will be out of your cabin and wondering around during scenic cruising.

Tracy Arm is a fjord....you will see one side going in, and the other side coming out, if you chose (not recommended) to lock yourself in your cabin.