Stateroom occupancy?

PatchesC1980

I've finally gotten my husband on board with possibly doing a cruise. Right now it would only be a 3 or 4 night cruise. Something I haven't found an answer for is this: We will only be a family of 3, if we book a room that has a 4, 5, or 6 occupancy can we be forced to move even if we paid the extra the pick a specific room? Alot I've seen is 4 occupancy, or possibly connecting 2 interior rooms, which again would have us under occupancy. 

I wouldn’t worry about the state room occupancy. Could they move you? Yes, technically. Are they likely to move you, no. They don’t move you from a connecting room because a family wants to book both sides. But I wouldn’t pick a connecting room because I’ve read that the door between the rooms let’s more noise through than a solid wall would.

• Like 1

Hi

Welcome to cruise critic.

I wouldn't worry too much about being moved out of a chosen cabin. Typically if there is an issue with occupancy numbers, they will either not allow the booking entirely, or warn you at the time of booking.

My comment would be more about the fact that you made it sound that it took a bit of encouragement to get your husband to agree. If he was a hard sell then you really would like to make the best of the opportunity if you would hope to do it again. Those shorter cruises aren't the best reflection of "cruising" generally. They are often on smaller, older ships. The itinerary would obviously be limited. Very often it is attractive to a crowd that is just looking for a place to party, especially with cruise lines that might have "included" beverage packages. If this is what you are looking for, then it could be a good fit, but if not, consider a cruise of at least 5 days. Many people would consider it just not worth the effort to go on a 3 or 4 day cruise. The first day is often an energy drain (especially if you have to travel to the port) and the last day you will be packing and depending on your situation will be turning in early because you will have to be up and out of your cabin early.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

once you have settled on where you want to go and with which cruise line be sure you come back and ask specific questions on the dedicated threads for the cruise line you want to sail on. If you are a first time cruiser, I always suggest you ask questions here before you commit to anything that can't be undone without a penalty fee for anything you are unsure about.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

Welcome to cruise critic.

I wouldn't worry too much about being moved out of a chosen cabin. Typically if there is an issue with occupancy numbers, they will either not allow the booking entirely, or warn you at the time of booking.

My comment would be more about the fact that you made it sound that it took a bit of encouragement to get your husband to agree. If he was a hard sell then you really would like to make the best of the opportunity if you would hope to do it again. Those shorter cruises aren't the best reflection of "cruising" generally. They are often on smaller, older ships. The itinerary would obviously be limited. Very often it is attractive to a crowd that is just looking for a place to party, especially with cruise lines that might have "included" beverage packages. If this is what you are looking for, then it could be a good fit, but if not, consider a cruise of at least 5 days. Many people would consider it just not worth the effort to go on a 3 or 4 day cruise. The first day is often an energy drain (especially if you have to travel to the port) and the last day you will be packing and depending on your situation will be turning in early because you will have to be up and out of your cabin early.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

once you have settled on where you want to go and with which cruise line be sure you come back and ask specific questions on the dedicated threads for the cruise line you want to sail on. If you are a first time cruiser, I always suggest you ask questions here before you commit to anything that can't be undone without a penalty fee for anything you are unsure about.

His main "against" is he's not fond of the interior cabins due to size and no window, which is easy to work around with budget and when we travel. The length is more of time constraints on the amount of time work will allow off at once right now (hopefully change in 2 years) We aren't much for partying but more adrenaline junkies, theme parks type so leaning towards Royal Caribbean, Carnival is less attractive because of 13yo offerings on the smaller ships.

3 hours ago, PatchesC1980 said:

I've finally gotten my husband on board with possibly doing a cruise. Right now it would only be a 3 or 4 night cruise. Something I haven't found an answer for is this: We will only be a family of 3, if we book a room that has a 4, 5, or 6 occupancy can we be forced to move even if we paid the extra the pick a specific room? Alot I've seen is 4 occupancy, or possibly connecting 2 interior rooms, which again would have us under occupancy. 

there are 2 kinds of occupancy: stateroom and lifeboat.  the lifeboat numbers are what really matter.   once capacity for a particular section is reached, even if cabins hold more than 2, you would not be allowed to book  for 3 or more.  

you will NOT be getting a 5 or 6 occupancy cabin with just three unless final payment has passed and the cabin category is still available( rare)  those are hard limits..meaning  they are non bookable unless you meet the minimum.

booking a 4  with 3 is doable and  technically could result in being moved, but  I would hazard a guess that that rarely happens.  anyone can book alone half of a pair of connecting cabins although most people won't unless there is no other option.  you MIGHT get contacted  if someone wants both connecting rooms but you are under zero obligation to  take anything they offer( typically some On board credit or a better category)  

when you go online and enter in the number of  people, you will ONLY be shown those cabins which you are  eligible to book.  some lines  will block out any 4 occupancy cabins automatically until they decide to open the category up to everyone.   

ETA: the third berth is important as well.   how old/large is the third pax?   under 6, and they shouldn't be in a Pullman bed( folds out from the  ceiling)    I wanna say the weight limit is 250 pounds on them as well.  ( might be larger)  but pre teens and teens often love them.  (there is a railing)  the fold out couch  tends to be just as comfortable as your grandma's  and takes up a LOT of cabin space in the evenings when set up for the night.  

Edited by spookwife
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, PatchesC1980 said:

His main "against" is he's not fond of the interior cabins due to size and no window, which is easy to work around with budget and when we travel. The length is more of time constraints on the amount of time work will allow off at once right now (hopefully change in 2 years) We aren't much for partying but more adrenaline junkies, theme parks type so leaning towards Royal Caribbean, Carnival is less attractive because of 13yo offerings on the smaller ships.

Our first couple of cruises were 3-4 days.  We enjoyed them immensely.   Do we like longer cruises -- heck yeah.  But we started on short ones and got hooked.   Kids will enjoy it too.   Someone with many, many long cruises will certainly have a different perspective about short cruises.  Suggesting a longer cruise is good advice.  Suggesting a short cruise is of no value is wrong.   If 3-4 days works for you, go for it and have a blast.