Live: Geoherb's Solo Cruise on the Caribbean Princess, Dec. 10-20, 2019 (Partial Panama Canal)

geoherb

On 12/21/2019 at 4:39 PM, ExploringTheGlobe said:

Great write up!  The Caribbean Princess is my favorite ship!

I cruise solo most of the time.  How did you find out about the low single supplement?  I've never come across one. 

I looked at various cruise travel agency websites. There's also a website that lets different travel agencies compete by offering you quotes.

On 12/21/2019 at 5:42 PM, zukecruiser said:

Wondering here you find Uber or Lyft after disembarkation, thought it was by the taxi or hotel shuttle drop off area.

There's a place for ride sharing services to pick up passengers. The problem with my first Uber driver was that he was in the far right lane. The deputy directing traffic told him to circle around. The other drivers didn't seem to have a problem finding the right place.

On 12/21/2019 at 6:47 PM, rgmacm said:

Did I understand correctly that you had a negative result on a flu test and were quarantined for a cold?  

Does Princess always quarantine for colds? 

I was quarantined due to my high fever in conjunction with other flu-like symptoms. The rapid flu tests can give false negatives. I don't think I had the flu. I did not feel as bad as I did two years ago when I had a positive test result. The ship was following the CDC's guidance: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/management/guidance-cruise-ships-influenza-updated.html

I had a fever above 100 along with other flu-like symptoms--body aches, headache, congestion, and fatigue. I was released after my fever was below 100 for 24 hours. I would not have gone to the medical center except for my high fever. It was 102.8 when I took it in my cabin.

16 hours ago, geoherb said:

I was quarantined due to my high fever in conjunction with other flu-like symptoms.

..... I would not have gone to the medical center except for my high fever. It was 102.8 when I took it in my cabin.

That's good to know.  🙂 Thanks!

I have another question....if you don't mind....

Does the buffet have International themed nights?  I noticed on the patters you posted there was a Panamanian buffet...are there others?

Thanks! 

2 hours ago, rgmacm said:

Does the buffet have International themed nights?  I noticed on the patters you posted there was a Panamanian buffet...are there others?

Thanks! 

I don't know. I ate dinner once in the buffet when I was not feeling well--the night before I went to see the doctor. It seemed like just a hodgepodge of dishes without a theme that night.

• Thanks 1

On 12/22/2019 at 8:38 PM, geoherb said:

There's a place for ride sharing services to pick up passengers. The problem with my first Uber driver was that he was in the far right lane. The deputy directing traffic told him to circle around. The other drivers didn't seem to have a problem finding the right place.

I meant far left lane. The pickup spot for ride sharing services is right by the terminal. The drivers come in and pull to the right to pick up their passengers.

I checked my credit card and Uber has refunded the $6 charge for the first driver canceling the trip. I wish I could give him a rating.

• 1 month later...

I'm halfway through the process of getting reimbursed for my visit to the doctor. My insurance covered about 20 percent of the costs. I received a second check this weekend for the actual visit to the doctor. I had received a check for my insurance's coverage of the prescription drugs a couple of weeks earlier. I started the claim process with Aon then. I uploaded a scan of the latest explanation of benefits this weekend. Now to see how long it will take for them to send me a check.

12 hours ago, EightFurryPaws said:

Loved your review.  

Since my husbands passing, I will become a solo cruiser. How do you find that Princess is offering discounted single supplements on cruises?

Thanks

I found out for this one by pricing it with several different agencies. When I took my Alaskan cruises last summer, I found out on one of the websites for a large travel agencies. They include a page of cruises with low single supplements. They currently don't have any Princess cruises listed on that page. I also look at last-minute deals on the Princess website where even paying double isn't that bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I received the refund for my previously unreimbursed medical expenses yesterday from the Princess insurance company. It covered everything not previously reimbursed under my insurance. It's a hassle to fill in all the paperwork, especially since my insurance company had separate claims forms for the prescription drugs and the out-of-country coverage. But it was worth it.