Loyalty Lunch

Port out

1 hour ago, LondonLad60 said:

The most interesting Peninsula Club lunch I have attended was on Ventura last year. The senior officer on our table was the chief security officer (or whatever his title is) and there was only one other couple on the table, so we all had the chance to chat to him. I asked him what he did before coming to P&O. He replied, "I was in the royal protection squad". I said, "And I guess that's all you're allowed to say". He just smiled and nodded. He did though give us an interesting insight into the processes and procedures involved when passengers don't behave as they should, and he has to get involved.

That would have been interesting, anything you can share?

Hi Eglesbrech

He was asked who has the final say when it comes to having passengers removed from the ship. He said after all the evidence had been heard and considered, he would make a decision, which would go to the Captain for rubber stamping. He said the Captain could overturn his decision, but he/she would have to have very good reasons for doing so, and to the best of his knowledge it had never happened. 

Edited by LondonLad60
To include a previous poster's name
  • Thanks 1

I respect that the loyalty lunch isn't for everyone (hence it works on an invitational basis where you have to respond by a certain date) but my wife and I look forward to it on every cruise. As we travel with our young son and my wife's parents we don't often get much time to ourselves so for us it is a chance to go to lunch as a couple and enjoy some different company for a change (while the in-laws look after our son for a couple of hours).

We've met a lot of lovely passengers (with just a few moaners here and there) and enjoyed some good conversations. Staff-wise we've met all sorts from the staff captain down to a young lady who was in her first year on the housekeeping side. 

Two hosts that come to mind were a senior electrical officer who had been brought out of retirement by P&O as they could not find suitable candidates for that position. He was a lively character with a whole host of stories to share but balanced it well so everyone got involved and had a chance to speak.

The other was the senior food and beverage manager who ensured that our glasses were never empty (I think the waiters were all trying to catch his attention as well) and was great fun in general.

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I would go if it was an evening dinner but it never is.

You ought to give it a try Jean, as it does make you feel appreciated by P&O.

We treat it as our main meal of the day and have a very light, or no, breakfast, and then only a light and late MDR dinner.

21 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I would go if it was an evening dinner but it never is.

The problem ( as I see it ) with having an evening dinner is where to have it.  The traditional dining room would mean that all the traditional diners would have to go to an anytime MDR which may not suit all of them and to use an anytime MDR  would be difficult because the queues for anytime dining would be awful.

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

The problem ( as I see it ) with having an evening dinner is where to have it.  The traditional dining room would mean that all the traditional diners would have to go to an anytime MDR which may not suit all of them and to use an anytime MDR  would be difficult because the queues for anytime dining would be awful.

Yes it has to be at lunchtime and on a sea day. Which is why you don’t get them on short cruises. On our cruise next month I would think there will be 4 lunches, 2 Caribbean and 2 Baltic/Ligurian 

19 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

You ought to give it a try Jean, as it does make you feel appreciated by P&O.

We treat it as our main meal of the day and have a very light, or no, breakfast, and then only a light and late MDR dinner.

We sailed on a very small cruise ship with Page and Moy some years ago out of Harwich.  I got to know one of the P^M ladies who used to be cabin crew like me and one night was surprised to receive an invitation to dine with the Captain.  There were about 8 of us on the table and the Captain was greek.  He was quite interesting to talk to, so I have done it before.  Also been to  many drinks parties where you talk with the officers, so don't really feel the need.

Edited by jeanlyon

Just got back from Ventura's five day stay in Tenerife.  Our Peninsula lunch was hosted by senior officers, including the Captain.  There must of been over 100 pax at the lunch, so rather a lot of hosts.  Our chap although very pleasant, was an administrator, albeit very senior.  He had only been with PandO for a couple of months, though had been in the travel business (not cruising) previously.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2019 at 1:52 PM, LondonLad60 said:

The most interesting Peninsula Club lunch I have attended was on Ventura last year. The senior officer on our table was the chief security officer (or whatever his title is) and there was only one other couple on the table, so we all had the chance to chat to him. I asked him what he did before coming to P&O. He replied, "I was in the royal protection squad". I said, "And I guess that's all you're allowed to say". He just smiled and nodded. He did though give us an interesting insight into the processes and procedures involved when passengers don't behave as they should, and he has to get involved.

We were also seated with the security officer. He told us he always made sure he had the troublemakers on his table. I thought that was very funny and we had some really good conversation.  To complain to an officer over lunch is very inappropriate.  Try going to reception instead

13 hours ago, Tablelamp said:

We were also seated with the security officer. He told us he always made sure he had the troublemakers on his table. I thought that was very funny and we had some really good conversation.  To complain to an officer over lunch is very inappropriate.  Try going to reception instead

Err... where did I complain about anything?? And I certainly don't need telling who to address any complaints to.

• Like 2

On one Peninsular lunch we were on a table for eight where one lady and two other couples complained about all sorts and in particular the ship we were sailing on (Britannia). One chap grumbled about the menu choices and somehow the restaurant staff managed to accommodate him with an entirely unique 3 course lunch.

As for the complainers the young lady hosting the table dealt with it all with great diplomacy and was a credit to P&O.

Ourselves and the other couple had a great time and stayed behind chatting long after everyone else had departed!

• Like 1