Cruise Critic Community
Knickearth

items no longer given/offered

Two others - eliminated the free souvenir glass included with the wine tasting. 

When they eliminated the happy hour specials they said the program would be replaced with a new, special program - so far the program seems to be pay full price and we will add an extra 3% gratuity.

Much to my dismay we did not have escargot on our last cruise.  I look so forward to eating this, I was so sad! This was a California Coast cruise.

3 hours ago, Waynetor said:

Its been a few years but they used to have rack of lamp on dinner menu one per cruise. 

I'm over it now but that was a big complaint I had for the longest time...probably 10 years since they had it. If HAL, Celebrity, RCL, NCL, and RCL can offer it, there's no reason why Princess can't.

No more mini bottles of Korbel available on our last two cruises last month (Star and Royal) 😞 They will sell you a glass of Champagne for a minimum of $10, but the Korbel was only $9 or so and you got at least 50% more than what’s in the single glass. 

On our last cruise on the Royal, Bellinis even ran out of the only champagne available by the glass that was under the PBP limit of $12.

We are Princess cruisers but just went on a RC cruise in October with family/grandkids.  They had escargot on the MDR menu for the first 3 or 4 nights of a 7 night cruise!  Apparently until they ran out.  I was impressed 😊

7 hours ago, lois1112 said:

you can still get it if you ask.

I had it on the Sapphire in September

We had escargot on Sapphire in October but none on Emerald in November. I certainly hope the lack of champagne splits was only a brief thing on a ship or two. We have the beverage package on our cruises next fall and I love getting those to take to my cabin for morning mimosa drinking. I also like to take one or two to the disembarkation lounge to make mimosas while waiting to disembark.

6 hours ago, Waynetor said:

Two others - eliminated the free souvenir glass included with the wine tasting. 

They used to have individual plates of cheese and fruit at the wine tasting.  Now there is one dinner size plate in the middle of the table for all hands to share.  I do miss the glasses.  I think I might have a full set.

16 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Why another cutback thread?  🙁

Why not post some of the great things about Princess for a change?    🤔

Be a good example and you start it!!! 

16 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

We now get a Medallion to wear around our necks to take home at the end of the cruise. 🙂

20 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

being replaced by a large -sized shaker container like we used to see back in the 50's. 

There is a reason they stopped using them in restaurants. The sugar would clump and you would have to open it and break up the clump with the spoon. That should be good for the spread of Noro. I'm not a germaphobe by any means but I just don't think that type of container should be used on a cruise ship.  We don't even use a sugar bowl at home anymore.

17 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I would be pleased to hear some. How about starting a thread?

17 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Writing Room, letter writing paper and envelopes with cruise line logo, post cards,   cruise line pens ( not those you can buy in ships' shops),

It's the 21st Century all of those have been replace with Instagram, Facebook, text messaging and email which is not even a first choice to communicate any more.

Which brings me a positive change for Colo Cruiser.  Improved wifi service!

Edited by Iamcruzin

16 hours ago, capriccio said:

Awhile ago I remember reading of a shortage of escargot impacting availability but we definitely had it on our Crown Princess Christmas cruise last year and our Sapphire Princess cruise last June.  In fact we've never been on a Princess cruise (25+) where it wasn't offered because I always order it.

Royal Caribbean offers escargot every night on their cruises. 

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Royal Caribbean offers escargot every night on their cruises. 

Given that this is the Princess board, I was responding to the incorrect statement that escargot is no longer offered (i.e., an example of a cutback).  I will keep that in mind if I ever travel on Royal Caribbean - maybe when the grandchildren get older and would enjoy the water parks, etc. (but who knows what will be offered by that time 😀)!

This varies as you can well suspect. Things on the Au-NZ Golden Princess that others found 'missing' on other itineraries:

- Bar soap

- Mini tubes of hand lotion

- Barrel chair & round table

- Notepaper & pen

- Chocolate covered strawberries on CC Night

- Walking out of Elite wine tasting with a full glass of whichever one I wanted. Picked the NZ Sauvignon Blanc 

I would have preferred missing CC Night. Squeezed everyone into Vista Lounge. Prefer separating PES and Ruby Golds. Less crowded

51 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

There is a reason they stopped using them in restaurants. The sugar would clump and you would have to open it and break up the clump with the spoon. That should be good for the spread of Noro. I'm not a germaphobe by any means but I just don't thdon'tink that type of container should be used on a cruise ship.  We don't even use a sugar bowl at home anymore.

😶

So what DO you use at home? Sugar cubes????? 

13 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Given that this is the Princess board, I was responding to the incorrect statement that escargot is no longer offered (i.e., an example of a cutback).  I will keep that in mind if I ever travel on Royal Caribbean - maybe when the grandchildren get older and would enjoy the water parks, etc. (but who knows what will be offered by that time 😀)!

Royal Caribbean isn't my first choice either but it was a family cruise so it fit. I was just surprised to see that escargot was offered every night. 

6 minutes ago, Ombud said:

😶

So what DO you use at home? Sugar cubes????? 

Sugar packets and Turvia packets for coffee and tea.  We only use a bag of sugar for baking or cooking. 

Edited by Iamcruzin

The New York Times Fax at Sea.     Those of us who like to read really miss it.

😂

7 minutes ago, tip said:

The New York Times Fax at Sea.     Those of us who like to read really miss it.

😂

When was this last offered?  If my DH finds out it's been available the last 12 years we've been cruising on Princess he's going to be annoyed (thank goodness he doesn't read Cruise Critic)!