items no longer given/offered

Knickearth

The thing we really missed on our most recent cruise was service. We had the absolutely worst steward we have ever encountered. Very poor service. It was sad. Of course we also met our first ever (to us anyway) rude CD Staff member. Mind boggling.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, denmarks said:

No chap sticks in the Upgraded Bathroom Amenities for Elites.

No card to request daily fruit bowl in cabin.

There was chap sticks on our cruise. They must have run out for your trip. 

They can keep the fruit bowl -- I'll select my own, thank you. 

The Elite amenity "gold" mesh bag has been showing up with less and less items. The standard cabins no longer get slippers.

MDR's fettucini Alfredo no longer is nested in a parmesan cracker.  The ice cream no longer has a sugar wafer propped up between the two scoops.

The Suite breakfast's eggs benedict  were haphazardly plated:  olive garnish y/n.  Oh yes the paper-thin Canadian bacon!  so thin to be close to tasteless.

After crushing 10 years with Princess I stopped two years ago. With  all of removal of positive amenities  mentioned in prior post and super large cruise ships that have to dock with cargo ships and not in town. It became a hassle to cruise. Changed to cheaper land trips and train in Europe. But to each his/her own.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ombud said:

Star, Royal, Caribbean, & Golden all had them in 2019. Also just looked at the notepad and it says Princess Cruise  just not the name of the ship so I can't tell which cruise it's from 

Thank you!!!😊

18 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Some I did & some I didn't. It's still stealing my money either way as I paid good money for them when I could have taken something different.  

And yet, you keep going back and giving princess more money.

Why don't you show them in a way that will matter?   Take your cruise dollars to a different cruise line.

If you were an executive at princess, you'd be thinking -- we cheated these people out of their punches, and they still come back!

The only blow-back is some on line whining...

What can we do next to save money???

Edited by pablo222
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pablo222 said:

And yet, you keep going back and giving princess more money.

Why don't you show them in a way that will matter?   Take your cruise dollars to a different cruise line.

If you were an executive at princess, you'd be thinking -- we cheated these people out of their punches, and they still come back!

The only blow-back is some on line whining...

What can we do next to save money???

I suppose you are correct but somehow we get hooked into booking Princess over & over each time. It's almost like a smoking addiction that's impossible to break.

Have you abandoned them lately for something better?

Our neighbors did about 2 years ago for HAL & never looked back. 

btw- I'm still unloading some of those coffee cards. 😅

Edited by MissP22

On 12/11/2019 at 3:14 PM, metairiegal said:

Escargot

We had escargot last week on our 10 day cruise.

Also had one bar soap on the sink, and a tube of lotion.

We had a pen and small notepad.

No bucket chair but didn't miss it--it was always just in the way for us.

No individual shampoos and conditioner, but it's been that way for years.  I have to bring extra conditioner, otherwise my hair feels like straw.

• Like 1

We are just off a 10 day cruise on the Island.  This was our 13th cruise on Princess and the first time we felt some disappointment in the product.  Some cutbacks didn't bother me, like the chair and table in the cabin which just got in the way.  A few I dislike, like the shower dispensers.

The worst cutback, very noticeable, was in quality of food, especially beef products in the MDR.  I literally couldn't chew some of the tough cuts.  The buffet selections were also pretty bad.

This was an introduction to Princess cruise for my sisters (well, they cruised with them once in the  90's) and they were less than impressed, even though they were in a suite.  They liked the NCL Getaway more!  Me too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

The worst cutback, very noticeable, was in quality of food, especially beef products in the MDR.  I literally couldn't chew some of the tough cuts.  The buffet selections were also pretty bad.

Occasionally they get some bad cuts on every ship. On the Crown last year they had one night where it was terrible at the buffet. I talked to the sioux chef about it & she thanked me & said it had already been noted for the future cruise. 

At least they did something to fix the situation. 

Yes. The food varies greatly in quality from cruise to cruise. I have not noticed any real downward shift in the five years we have been cruising. Just inconsistency.

I think that it has a lot to do with the head chef. On the Star one cruise, the chef changed in the middle of a back to back. The food seemed much better on the second leg, but it also could have been an infusion of fresh ingredients. 

I haven't seen Caviar for a long time.  They used to have some on the appetizer tray that they offered during the Capitan's Cocktail Party and also they have had Caviar as a starter in the dinning room at least once during a cruise.

I haven't asked for it lately but I will try to get some in the dinning room one night on my next cruise and see what they say.

On 12/25/2019 at 7:16 AM, Nebr.cruiser said:

We are just off a 10 day cruise on the Island...

This was an introduction to Princess cruise for my sisters (well, they cruised with them once in the  90's) and they were less than impressed, even though they were in a suite.  They liked the NCL Getaway more!  Me too!

Your experience with the beef products is not suprising. As part of PCL's food budget "cut program" THIS year, they switched beef suppliers and it has been uniformly worse than before.

With the exception of the PCL's Royal Class ships, NCL's Getaway class fleet easily offer a better cruising experience.

We cruise a lot of different lines, but the most with Princess--this was our 13th cruise with them.  It was disappointing enough that for the first time in quite a while we didn't buy and future cruise credits.

Will we sail with them again--sure, but not as our first choice anymore.  Price and itinerary will have to be stellar.  

Besides the beef, other food choices were worse than normal also.

Here is something that has gone by the wayside that I doubt anyone misses...

formal wear rental!  For those who didn’t experience this, you could pre-order your formal wear items and they would be delivered to your stateroom upon your arrival.  Following the last formal night the items would be returned for you.  There was also a small selection of the formal wear items onboard. 

Its interesting because I find most of these changes to be a huge plus! I couldn't attend the big events when they had balloon drops becuase i am critically allergic to latex. I'm thrilled they are gone. Getting rid of things that are single use is environmentally friendly and the more we can mitigate the impact we have on the environment the better. Bar soap us LOADED with bacteria and the very thought of it grosses me out. They also arent reusable so the u used parts just get dumped in a landfill. I sometimes miss the free paper but I know most of the papers went unread and I like knowing there is less waste. I subscribe to the online New York Times at home, I can read online on vacation too. 

What princess has done by making many of these changes is reduce plastic usage, reduce waste, reduce energy consumption, reduce water usage and stop serving ethically questionable food. Hooray for these changes. I hope they make more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1