CHICAGOPAUL LIVE BLOG!!!!!! December 13th, 2019 - SILHOUETTE SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN

chicagopaul

11 hours ago, vickykay said:

Looking forward to another great review.  Have a wonderful time!

Looking forward to photos of Aruba, my son worked there for a year in 2001 at the Oil refinery ( now closed). I stayed for 2 weeks in November and May. Also a day in January, as we had a cruise booked.

Also love the Silhouette, we are sailing on her to the Mediterranean in August.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chicagopaul said:

Oh, on a quick note I'm happy to say that the rain here stopped around 1pm and the sun came out. The evening is looking quite perfect. Thanks again for following along!

Happy to hear the rain has stopped - hope we get a dry sailaway tomorrow! Enjoy your dinner 😋

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Josie201 said:

We always enjoy your reviews Paul.  We were on Silhouette a couple of weeks ago over Thanksgiving also to the ABCs and GC.  I found things a bit disorganized in terms of dining reservations, or proper stocking/restocking of bars (eg no Evian water anywhere until about day eight)  and there were many large families on board, including many kids in diapers in the pool/hot tubs despite repeated attempts by staff to keep them out.   I will look forward to your observations   Enjoy!  

Us too- we were on from Nov 6- 22.

i hope they have worked out their issues.

on a happy note - the  new house band that came on is great !

go and see the Sue and friends show. If it’s the same as we saw

your in for a lot of laughs ,

most of all ... enjoy

( I know you will)

Brockmom

• Like 1

Good Evening All!

thank you again for the continued comments, I really appreciate it. 

Tonight we headed to the Loews bar around 6:45 or so and had a martini and chatted about where to go to dinner. We decided on OLA, a Latin American restaurant around 23rd and Collins. At the bar we met a couple who actually lives in Chicago. Again, what a small world! We started chatting and before we knew it, it was almost 8 and we had to head to OLA for our 8:15 reservation. 

the weather was very pleasant tonight and even the slight humidity felt more than welcome given the temp we know it is back home. We had a wonderful table outside on Collins. We decided on a bottle of wine (pictured below) based on the recommendation of the sommelier. I explained our tastes and gave him a price point. This wine was $95 and really hit the spot. Full bodied, great spice on the finish with lots of flavor but very flavorful. 

For food we started with the Fire and Ice Ceviche. The fish was Cobia which held up fantastic. The liquid the ceviche was in was frozen into ice chips but had a slice too it. Hence fire and ice. Fun concept that actually worked really well. There was a lot more fish than I thought ($18) We then split a lobster empanada. The sauces were as amazing as the filling. It was a massive empanada  ($22) 

For entrees I had the lamb $

($44) and Edward had the pork($38). The Lamb has a gorgeous presentation but the flavor just wasn’t my personal preference. It was too sweet for me and while the cook point was good I just didn’t care for it. The beets with it, however, were excellent as were the truffled mashed potatoes.  

Now Edward’s Cuban pork....I could eat that every day. It was beyond phenomenal. It is cooked for around 10 hours. It has a combination of a ground mustard topping with spicy peppers over a polenta mash. If you ever find yourself at OLA order this. If you find yourself passing by, order this. If you know anyone who lives within 100 miles of Miami. Tell them to order this. Absolutely excellent. 

The total tab was $275 including tax and an 18% auto charge gratuity. We left a bit more, stopped at Walgreens on the way back to the hotel for water and now watching the news while in bed. 

6B85CD2B-A1DD-44F9-916C-2274398A8CB7.thumb.jpeg.b769ede0fe58072e043a9fae60bd5521.jpeg

06A2C4DF-F911-49E1-B8EA-41890F83906D.thumb.jpeg.c0999a24cc6bfa5bbcd2d3ba5b88430a.jpeg

29AFAFD9-FD03-429B-83E8-07DB5765B882.thumb.jpeg.776f053f2f54cb552ad8e00826f70942.jpeg

Empanada. Squid ink makes the pastry black. 

21145926-70AC-443B-92F5-446E00CFE8DD.thumb.jpeg.1526a7abdab4a91db071b3577c81305b.jpeg

Lamb. Gorgeous presentation 

72D9F80D-EC2E-4A25-BFB7-D2C7CE0CF363.thumb.jpeg.dc141600c33828f2ab52c5235fc1f3b4.jpeg

Pork. Get it! 

• Like 2

So excited to follow this review! We just got off the Silhouette on 12/1. We loved Agung in Luminae! Ask for him if you can. He will sing for you and is  quite animated. Tell him you are looking forward to the squab (while doing your best bird impression) and Mike and Lori say hello. Claudia and Gilbert are also excellent assistant waiters. This group had the best synergy we've seen on any ship! I'm looking forward to hearing about your interactions with them!

• Like 1

Hey Paul! Coincidentally, I found out just the other day that I have friends on this cruise. I'm sure at some point you will run into them since they frequent the bars regularly.  Chris and May are from Toronto and are very friendly.  Have a great cruise guys!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, h20cruzer said:

Hey Stephanie how are you? I leave in the Oasis Sunday.

Norma

Hi Norma! Doing great but wish I was going on a cruise on Sunday😁 Our next one is not until September to Canada! Have a great holiday!!

Stefanie

Hi Paul and Edward,

We have always closely followed your posts and look forward to your comments on this Silhouette cruise.

Silhouette is our favorite Celebrity Ship followed by Reflection.

Wishing you a GREAT cruise and an enjoyable warm time in the Caribbean.

This should be a nice change from your Chicago weather.

Safe Travels,

Bob (and Terry)

• Like 1

Right now it is 1:15pm and we are just waiting for the announcement that rooms are ready. We started at the Sunset Bar and then walked the ship and had lunch in Luminae. Luminae had a good crowd but not overly crowded. We had a table in the back portion of the restaurant. 

Initial service of water was quick. It took a bit for our waiter to come around but after that he was very attentive. Just first day rush! 

we both had the salmon sashimi to start and then had the chicken and waffles. We also met the sommelier and had a glass of sav blanc. 

I really loved the chicken and waffles today. Very tender, lots of flavor. We both finished the entire meal. 

Now as I type this the rooms are ready! 

36389699-E185-43C3-8E46-3F70EEBB0D40.thumb.jpeg.6b41d84f7de027b1d4f0231c1d768b61.jpeg

C1B36E3C-120B-4552-89F1-AB2FF6461F8B.thumb.jpeg.8cdb0cd8a40e93847e8d8c11d59ddd98.jpeg

7B28C4F8-385D-4FE9-AA65-B307E401A855.thumb.jpeg.3cd6c3f5d4ac5906af8180e83292ff43.jpeg

• Like 3

Hi Paul!  Thanks for making December a little more fun, and not so stressed.  Reading your blog always makes me smile.  I had a cruise booked on Equinox in  aSky Suite that I canceled.  Celebrity wanted 9,000+ for the two of us!  So glad you got such a fantastic price....following!

Many of us our honoring Vt cruiser with a Golden Margarita when we cruise.  If  you drink those, please have one in honor of her dedication and posts to Cruise Critic...just a suggestion!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2